23rd Handicrafts Export Awards
⇒ Shri Piyush Goyal, Union Minister of Textiles, Commerce & Industry and Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution addressed the 23rd Handicrafts Export Awards Function on 28 June 2022.
Addressing the function he said, the handicrafts sectors needs a fresh, ambitious vision that takes it new heights with ambitious targets, and the country should not be satisfied with the 29% increase in exports achieved in 2021-22.
- The increase in exports of handicrafts from Rs 25,680 crore in 2020-21 to Rs.33,253 crore in 2021-22 shouldn’t be the benchmark as the sector has tremendous capacity to strengthen its export targets further.
Key Points of the Awards:
The award function recognize exporters for their outstanding performance during the years 2017-18 and 2018-19.
A total of 126 awards were given to 61 winners of the year 2017-18 and to 65 winners of the year 2018-19. A special commendation award was also given.
- The Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH) has been organizing Export Awards since 1989 to felicitate exporters who have contributed significantly to the development as well as to the exports of handicrafts from the country.
- EPCH is a nodal agency for promoting exports of handicrafts from the country to various destinations of the world and projecting India’s image abroad as a reliable supplier of high-quality handicrafts goods & services.
- The objective of the Handicrafts Export Awards is to create a sense of healthy competition amongst exporters and to encourage wholesome competition through the institution of such prestigious awards.
- The export awards are given based on the export performance of the exporters duly certified by the Chartered Accountant.
- The export awards are selected by Export Awards Selection Committee chaired by the Development Commissioner (Handicrafts) or his nominee (Addl. Development Commissioner-Handicrafts) and members of the Committee of Administration of the Council.
- Five types of awards are given to the exporters of handicrafts based on their export performance viz. Top Export Award (All Handicrafts); Top Export Award (Product Categories), Women Entrepreneur Award, Merit Certificates for Excellent Export Growth and Regional Export Award.
‘Dak Karmayogi’ launched and Meghdoot awards 2021
⇒ Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, Minister of Communications, Railways, Electronics & IT and Shri Devusinh Chauhan, Minister of State for Communications launched the ‘Dak Karmayogi’ at a function held at Stein Auditorium, Indian Habitat Centre on 28 June 2022.
‘Dak Karmayogi’, an e-learning portal of the Department of Posts has been developed ‘In-House’ under vision of ‘Mission Karmayogi’.
‘Mission Karmayogi’ was conceptualized by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi with a view to bring efficiency in actions of all the employees of Government of India and transforming efficiency of bureaucracy with ‘Minimum Government’ and ‘Maximum Governance’.
» ‘Dak Karmayogi’ portal will enhance the competencies of about 4 lakh Gramin Dak Sevaks & Departmental employees.
- It will enhance the competencies by enabling the trainees to access the uniform standardized training content online or in blended campus mode to enable them to effectively deliver a number of G2C services for enhanced customer satisfaction.
During the event, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw and Shri Devusinh Chauhan also conferred the Meghdoot Awards in eight different categories. This award was given to recognise the good performance of employees of Department of Posts and motivate them to maintain or improve their good work.
Department of Posts conferred the Meghdoot awards for the year 2021:
- Shri Ashok Kumar Sahoo, GDS BPM, Cuttack South Division, Odisha Circle
- Shri Prem Lal, Mail Runner, Mandi Division, Himachal Pradesh Circle
- Shri Dhananjay T, Postal Assistant, Circle Office, Karnataka Circle
- Shri Vijender Singh Rana, Technical Supervisor, Mail Motor Service, Delhi Circle
- Shri Sandeep Gundu Kadgaonkar, ASP, Goa Region, Maharashtra Circle
- Shri Randhir Kumar, Assistant Director, Circle Office, Bihar Circle
- Shri Challa Sri Nagesh, Deputy Manager, CEPT, Hyderabad
- Smt. K. Kalaivani, Assistant Director, Southern Region, Madurai, Tamil Nadu Circle
About Meghdoot Award:
- Meghdoot Award was introduced in the year 1984.
- This is the highest award of Department of Posts at National level for overall performance and excellence.
- This award is conferred in eight categories. Awardees are conferred with medallion, certificate and cash award of Rs.21,000.
National Statistics Day 2022
⇒ Statistics Day is celebrated every year on 29 June in India.
- The objective of this Day is to create public awareness, specially in the younger generation for drawing inspiration from Professor (late) Mahalanobis about the role and importance of statistics in socio-economic planning and policy formulation.
Every year, Statistics Day is celebrated with a theme of contemporary national importance. The theme of Statistics Day 2022 was ‘Data for Sustainable Development’.
- In recognition of the notable contributions made by Professor (late) Prasanta Chandra Mahalanobis in the fields of statistics and economic planning, Government of India has designated 29th June as “Statistics Day” in the category of Special Days to be celebrated at the national level. The day is also marked the birth anniversary of Professor (late) P C Mahalanobis.
- National Statistics Day was first celebrated on 29 June 2007.
This year, the main event of the Statistics Day, 2022 was organized at New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) Convention Centre, New Delhi, through physical-cum-virtual mode.
- It was also celebrated as a part of week-long celebration by Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation (MoSPI), of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, an initiative of Government to commemorate the 75th year of India’s independence.
On this occasion, Ministry of Statistics & Programme Implementation (MoSPI) also recognizes the outstanding contribution through high quality research in the field of applied and theoretical statistics benefiting the official statistical system through awards instituted for this purpose.
During the event, winners of the National awards instituted by the Ministry were felicitated.
Prof. P.C. Mahalanobis National Award in Official Statistics, 2022: (Jointly awarded)
- Shri Dilip Kumar Sinha, Deputy Director General, MoSPI
- Dr. K. P. Suresh, Principal Scientist, National Institute of Veterinary, Epidemiology and Disease Informatics (NIVEDI), Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR)
Prof. P.V. Sukhatme National Award for life time contribution in the field of statistics, 2022: Dr. Padam Singh, Former Member, National Statistical Commission
» The winners of ‘On the Spot Essay Writing Competition, 2022’ were also felicitated in the event.
» The Sustainable Development Goals-National Indicator Framework (NIF) Progress Report, 2022 was released during the event. Along with the report, the updated NIF 2022 and Data Snapshot on SDGs NIF Report 2022 were also released.
» The publication “Youth in India 2022” was released during the event. The publication portrays overall status of youth through important statistical indicators of socio-economic relevance as derived data in the public domain of different Ministries/Departments/ Organizations.
Shapoorji Pallonji group chairman and billionaire industrialist Pallonji Mistry
⇒ Shapoorji Pallonji group chairman and billionaire industrialist Pallonji Mistry passed away in Mumbai on 28 June 2022. He was 93.
Mistry accumulated a net worth of almost $29 billion, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index, making him one of the richest in India. A short biography of Mistry was written in a 2008 book by Manoj Namburu titled The Moguls of Real Estate.