‘ALIMCO MITRA’ Mobile Application
⇒ Minister for Social Justice & Empowerment Dr Virendra Kumar, visited ALIMCO to review the functioning and performance of the corporation.
On the occasion of his visit Union minister launched android based ‘ALIMCO MITRA’ Mobile Application developed to facilitate the service for Grievance Redressal and New Registration for the Divyangjan and senior citizen beneficiaries of ALIMCO.
- Mobile Application provides the facility to fetch the details of Aid & Appliances received by beneficiaries and can register the Grievance against the specific Aid/Appliance received.
- Beneficiary will get update over SMS at every step in further development of resolving the issues of his/her Grievance.
World’s Biggest Cricket Bat
⇒ Former India captain and now Hyderabad Cricket Association president Mohd Azharuddin unveiled what is certified by the Guinness Book of World Records to be the biggest cricket bat, designed by Pernod Ricard India (P) Ltd, on Tank Bund.
- The bat measures 56.10 feet, weighs nine tonnes and is made of poplar wood.
Y 12704 (Visakhapatnam) Ship
⇒ Y 12704 (Visakhapatnam), the lead ship of Project 15B stealth guided missile destroyers being built at Mazgaon Docks Limited (MDL), was delivered to the Indian Navy on 28 October 2021.
The ships are designed by Directorate of Naval Design, Indian Navy’s in-house design organisation and built by M/s Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Ltd, Mumbai.
The contract for four ships of Project 15B, as the Visakhapatnam class ships are known, was signed on 28 January 2011.
The four ships are christened after major cities from all four corners of the country viz Visakhapatnam, Mormugao, Imphal and Surat.
About Y 12704:
» The 163 metres long warship has a full load displacement of 7400 tonnes and maximum speed of 30 knots. The overall indigenous content of the project is approx 75%.
» The destroyer is installed with major indigenous weapons which include:
- Medium Range Surface-to-Air Missiles (BEL, Bangalore).
- BrahMos Surface-to-Surface Missiles (BrahMos Aerospace, New Delhi).
- Indigenous Torpedo Tube Launchers (Larsen & Toubro, Mumbai).
- Anti-Submarine Indigenous Rocket Launchers (Larsen & Toubro, Mumbai).
- 76mm Super Rapid Gun Mount (BHEL, Haridwar).
16th G20 Leaders’ Summit
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated in the 16th G20 Leaders’ Summit in Rome, Italy from 30-31 October 2021 at the invitation of the Prime Minister of Italy, Mr Mario Draghi.
- This was the Prime Minister’s 8th G20 Summit since 2014 and 1st in-person Summit since the Osaka Summit in 2019.
- The Prime Minister participated in all 3 Summit Sessions- on Global Economy and Global Health; Climate Change and Environment and Sustainable Development.
Heads of State/Government of G20 Member Countries, the European Union, and other invited countries and International Organizations also participated in the Summit.
The theme of the 16th G20 Leaders’ Summit under Italian Presidency was ‘People, Planet, Prosperity’, with an overarching theme of recovery from the pandemic across pillars of health, economy, employment & education & tourism, and climate action.
Areas focused during the summit:
- Recovery from the Pandemic and Strengthening of Global Health Governance
- Economic Recovery and Resilience
- Climate Change and Energy Transition
- Sustainable Development and Food Security
» For the first time, the G20 has identified sustainable and responsible consumption and production, along with provision of finance & tech as “critical enablers” to achieve climate goals within the 1.5 degrees target.
» The Leaders adopted the Rome Declaration at the Summit.
India as Host:
India is scheduled to host the G-20 Summit in 2023 for the first time.
China successfully launched a new Satellite
⇒ China successfully launched a new satellite to test and verify space debris mitigation technologies. It was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest China’s Sichuan Province.
The satellite, named Shijian-21, was launched by a Long March-3B carrier rocket and it entered the planned orbit successfully.
2021 United States Grand Prix Formula 1 Race
⇒ The 2021 United States Grand Prix Formula 1 Race took place on 24 October 2021 over 56 laps of the 5.513-kilometre Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas.
Red Bull Racing Honda, Max Verstappen won 2021 United States Grand Prix (Formula 1 ARAMCO United States Grand Prix 2021).
World Sight Day 2021
⇒ World Sight Day is an annual day of awareness held on the second Thursday of October, to focus global attention on vision impairment, including blindness.
- This year, World Sight Day was observed on October 14, 2021.
The theme of the World Sight Day 2021 was ‘Love Your Eyes’.
» World Sight Day (WSD) is co-ordinated by the International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness (IAPB).