Green Field Airport in Nagchala
⇒ The Ministry of Civil Aviation and Government of Himachal Pradesh signed MoU for development of a Green Field Airport in Nagchala, Mandi District of Himachal Pradesh on 25 April 2022.
- The new greenfield airport at Nagchala, Mandi is being developed under the Greenfield Airport Policy of MoCA and a Joint Venture Company between State Government of Himachal Pradesh and Airport Authority of India has been formed.
- The projected land requirement for airport is 515 acres approx.
- The project is estimated to cost around Rs 900 crore excluding the cost of land.
2022 Malcom Adiseshiah Award
⇒ Renowned Indian economist and political commentator Prabhat Patnaik has been selected for the 2022 Malcom Adiseshiah Award.
Dr. Patnaik has taught at the Centre for Economic Studies and Planning in the School of Social Sciences at Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) in New Delhi, and was the Vice Chairman of the Kerala State Planning Board.
- The prestigious national award is given every year to an outstanding social scientist selected from nominations received by a national-level jury.
- The award comprises a citation and prize money of Rs 2 lakh.
- This is a prestigious award instituted by Malcolm and Elizabeth Adiseshiah Trust.
- The first Malcolm Adiseshiah Award was given in 2001.
Principal Scientific Advisor to the Indian Government
⇒ Ajay Kumar Sood has been appointed as the Principal Scientific Advisor (PSA) to the government.
- Sood, a member of Science, Technology and Innovation Advisory Council to the Prime Minister, has been appointed to the post for a period of three years.
The PSA’s office aims to provide pragmatic and objective advice to the PM and cabinet on matters related to science, technology and innovation with a focus on application of science and technology in critical infrastructure, economic and social sectors in partnership with government departments, institutions and industry.
India’s First 99.999% pure Green Hydrogen pilot plant
⇒ Oil India Limited (OIL), India’s second largest National Exploration & Production company, has taken the first significant step towards Green Hydrogen Economy in India with the commissioning of India’s First 99.999% pure Green Hydrogen pilot plant at its Jorhat Pump Station in Assam.
- The installed capacity of the plant is 10 kg per day.
- The plant produces Green Hydrogen from the electricity generated by the existing 500kW Solar plant using a 100 kW Anion Exchange Membrane (AEM) Electrolyser array.
- The use of AEM technology is being used for the first time in India.
Best Transgender Award 2022
⇒ Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu, MK Stalin presented Marlima Muralitharan of Villupuram with the Best Transgender Award 2022.
- The State Level Award for Transperson carries a cash prize of Rs 1 lakh.
Marlima of Gingee received the award from the Social Welfare and Women Empowerment department for her exceptional work for the betterment of the third gender over the past 25 years.
US Vice President Kamala Harris’s defence advisor
⇒ Indian-American US Navy veteran Shanti Sethi has joined Vice President Kamala Harris’s office as her executive secretary and defence advisor. In her new role, Sethi coordinates National Security Advisor documentation across the Office of the Vice President.
Sethi is the first Indian-American commander of a major US Navy combat ship. She was also the first female commander of a US naval vessel to visit India.
President of France
⇒ Incumbent French President Emmanuel Macron has been re-elected as the President for a second five-year term.
Macron defeated far-Right rival Marine Le Pen in the round two run-off elections. The 44-year-old Macron bagged over 58 per cent votes, while his opponent received about 41 per cent.
World Malaria Day 2022
⇒ World Malaria Day is observed every year on April 25, to bring global attention to the efforts being made to bring an end to malaria, and encourage action to reduce suffering and death from the disease.
The theme for World Malaria Day 2022 was “Harness innovation to reduce the malaria disease burden and save lives.”
- World Malaria Day is an occasion to highlight the need for continued investment and sustained political commitment for malaria prevention and control.
- It was instituted by WHO Member States during the World Health Assembly of 2007.