India’s First-ever SAI National Centre of Excellence
⇒ The Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in collaboration with the Youth Services and Sports department of the Government of Himachal Pradesh is set to build India’s first-ever SAI National Centre of Excellence to train athletes in Mountain Terrain Biking and Bicycle Motocross in Shimla.
- The NCOE is being set up to provide world-class training facilities to Indian cyclists so that they can compete for the 18 Olympic medals in the disciplines of MTB and BMX.
About SAI National Centre of Excellence:
- NCOE will have the capacity to train around 200 cyclists for Olympic-level preparations.
- This centre, one of the best high-altitude training facilities in the world, at an altitude of 2000 meters above sea level.
- It will have world-class infrastructure, a state-of-art sports science high performance centre, Olympic-level track and coaches of international repute, where India’s best cyclists and local sporting talent can train.
- It will be equipped with 1 XCO Olympic level track, 1 training track with specialized features, 1 BMX track, 1 state-of-the-art indoor gymnasium, an indoor setup with virtual trainers, hostel facilities for 100 athletes, coaches and support staff.
- There will be a High-Performance Center for Sports Science with state-of-the art facilities such as indoor recovery pool, stream and sauna, strength and conditioning hall, a biomech lab, physiotherapy, anthropometry.
4th Poshan Pakhwada
⇒ The Ministry of Women and Child Development celebrated the 4th Poshan Pakhwada from 21st March to 4th April, 2022.
Ministry of Women and Child Development was the nodal Ministry for coordinating activities during the Poshan Pakhwada. In the States / UTs, Department of Women & Child Development / Social Welfare Department was the nodal department for Poshan Pakhwada.
About Poshan Pakhwada:
For the celebration of Poshan Pakhwada, emphasis was on two broad areas within the thematic areas around Poshan MITRA (Modern, IT based, Traditional & Regional Activities).
Two broad areas are:
- Identification & celebration of Healthy Child
- Integration of modern and traditional practices for healthy India
Under the theme for integration of modern and traditional practices, special focus was on the following:
- Measurement of Height and Weight of Children under 6 years who are beneficiaries in the Anganwadi Centres
- Activities focused around Gender Sensitive Water Management and generating awareness in women about the importance of water conservation and promoting rainwater harvesting structures including in Anganwadi Centres
- Test Treat and Talk Anaemia and
- Promote traditional food for healthy mother and child especially in Tribal Areas
» POSHAN Abhiyan launched by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi on 8th March 2018 has reached a long way in ensuring wider people’s participation.
Gainward German Open 2022
⇒ The Gainward German Open 2022 was a badminton tournament held in Mülheim, Germany from 8 to 13 March 2022. The tournament was organized by the German Badminton Association.
- The 2022 German Open was the 4th tournament of the 2022 Badminton World Federation (BWF) World Tour. It was part of the German Open championships, held since 1955.
- Winner: Kunlavut Vitidsarn (Thailand)
- Runner up: Lakshya Sen (India)
- Winner: He Bingjiao (China)
- Runner up: Chen Yufei (China)
World Tuberculosis Day 2022
⇒ World Tuberculosis Day is observed every year on March 24 to raise public awareness about Tuberculosis (TB).
The theme of World TB Day 2022 – “Invest to End TB. Save Lives.” – conveys the urgent need to invest resources to ramp up the fight against TB and achieve the commitments to end TB made by global leaders.
- On this day in the year 1882, Dr. Robert Koch announced the discovery of the bacteria that causes TB. It paved the way for diagnosis and cure of this deadly disease.
- World Tuberculosis Day was first celebrated on March 24th, 1982.
Celebrations In India:
» Step-Up to End TB – World TB Day Summit:
In an event to celebrate World TB Day 2022, Governor of Uttar Pradesh, Smt Anandiben Patel virtually inaugurated the “Step-Up to End TB – World TB Day Summit” in presence of Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya.
The event aims to reiterate India’s commitment to eliminating the high-burden infectious disease by 2025, five years ahead of the global goal of SDG 2030.
The Summit provided a forum to showcase the National TB Elimination Programme’s learnings and successes and frame it in a manner that inspires more forward-looking policies across infectious diseases, and not just TB alone.
» Data-Driven Research to Eradicate TB:
Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh announced the launch of Data-Driven Research to Eradicate TB -“Dare2eraD TB” by the Department of Biotechnology, M/o Science & Technology.
Dare2eraD TB is the umbrella TB program of DBT comprising of following key initiatives:
- InTGS – Indian Tuberculosis Genomic Surveillance Consortium;
- InTBK Hub- Indian TB Knowledge Hub- Webinar Series;
- Host Directed therapies against TB and developing an evidence-based regimen for treating extra-pulmonary Tuberculosis.
- InTGS is proposed on lines of the Indian SARS-CoV-2 Genomic Consortia (INSACOG).
- The InTBK Hub will be a Webinar series starting from World TB Day that will create Academia- Industry connect to discuss challenges and exchange ideas and carry forward open innovations between all TB stakeholders.