National Mission on use of Biomass in coal based thermal power plants
⇒ The Ministry of Power has decided to set up a National Mission on use of Biomass in coal based thermal power plants. The duration of proposed National Mission would be a minimum 5 years.
This aims to address the issue of air pollution due to farm stubble burning and to reduce carbon footprints of thermal power generation. Further, it would also support the energy transition in the country and our targets to move towards cleaner energy sources.
The National Mission on use of biomass in thermal power plants will have the following objectives:
- To increase the level of co-firing from the current 5 per cent to a higher level in order to have a larger share of carbon neutral power generation from thermal power plants.
- To take up R&D activity in boiler design to handle the higher amount of silica, alkalis in the biomass pellets.
- To facilitate overcoming the constraints in supply chain of bio mass pellets and agro-residue and its transport upto to the power plants.
- To consider regulatory issues in biomass co-firing.
INS Rajput was decommissioned
⇒ The Indian Navy’s first destroyer INS Rajput was decommissioned in Visakhapatnam after serving the nation for 41 glorious years on 21 May 2021.
INS Rajput was commissioned on 04 May 1980, at Poti, Georgia (erstwhile USSR). INS Rajput was lead ship of Kashin-class destroyers built by erstwhile USSR.
INS Rajput was the first ship to be fitted out to fire the supersonic cruise and long-range BrahMos missile. It was the first Indian Naval ship to get affiliated with an Indian Army Regiment ‘the Rajput Regiment’. The ship’s Motto was ‘Raj Karega Rajput’.
Judges of the Kerala High Court
⇒ The President of India, appointed five Additional Judges of the Kerala High Court, to be Judges of the Kerala High Court with effect from the date they assume charge of their respective offices.
These five judges are:
- Justice Conrad Stansilaus Dias
- Justice Pulleri Vadhyarillath Kunhikrishnan
- Justice ThirumuppathRaghavan Ravi
- Justice Bechu Kurian Thomas
- Justice Gopinath Puzhankara
MoU entered into by Institute of Cost Accountants of India and Institute of Company Secretaries of India, with various Foreign Countries/Organisations
⇒ The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has granted ex-post facto approval to the Memorandum of Understandings entered into by Institute of Cost Accountants of India and Institute of Company Secretaries of India with various Foreign Countries/Organisations.
The Institute of Cost Accountants of India and the Institute of Company Secretaries of India have signed MoUs with foreign organisations. The foreign organisations are:
- Institute of Public Accountants, Australia
- Chartered Institute for Securities and Investment, UK
- Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, UK
- Institute of Certified Management Accountants, Sri Lanka
- Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators, UK
The signed MoUs would help in advancement of the goals on equity, public accountability and innovation among the beneficiaries’ countries.
President of International Hockey Federation (FIH)
⇒ Narinder Batra was re-elected as the International Hockey Federation (FIH) President for a second term. He was elected during the virtual 47th Congress of the sport’s global governing body on 22 May 2021. He will held the office until 2024.
Batra secured 63 votes & defeated his rival Marc Coudron, chief of Belgium Hockey Federation, by a margin of two votes.
Narinder Batra of India is also the President of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA) and an International Olympic Committee (IOC) member.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2021
⇒ The International Day for Biological Diversity is observed on May 22 annually.
This day is United Nations-sanctioned international day for the promotion of biodiversity issues, which falls within the scope of the UN Post-2015 Development Agenda’s Sustainable Development Goals.
The theme for the Biological Diversity day 2021 is “We’re part of the solution”.
The International Day for Biological Diversity aims to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
Veteran Music Director, Raamlaxman
⇒ Veteran music director, Raamlaxman also known Vijay Patil died on 22 May 2021 in Nagpur. He was 78.
He was best known for his work on Rajshri Productions’ films such as ‘Maine Pyar Kiya’, ‘Hum Aapke Hain Koun..!’, and ‘Hum Saath Saath Hain’. In his over four decades-long career, he composed music for over 150 films in Hindi, Marathi and Bhojpuri.