1st editions of India GI Fair, Khilona-India Toys & Games Fair, Maa Shishu and STEM Confex
⇒ The first editions of India GI Fair, Khilona-India Toys & Games Fair, Maa Shishu and STEM Confex was held concurrently from 26th to 28th August 2022 at India Expo Centre & Mart, Greater Noida.
- Mr. Upendra Prasad Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Textiles, inaugurated India GI Fair on 26 August 2022.
Shri R K Verma, Executive Director, EPCH informed:
» India GI Fair is India’s first trade event of its kind, showcasing the strength of Indian Geographically Indicated products, through an exhibitor strength of 300+ with 12 major categories segmented into materials & wares, foods & ingredients, nature & wellness, handicrafts & handloom, home & collectibles and fashion & accessories.
» Khilona-India Toys & Games Fair with 200+ exhibitors resonates with the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision of ‘Vocal for Local’ and ‘Atma Nirbhar Bharat’ in toys & games as well as India realizing its full potential in manufacturing for this segment, with an aim of becoming a global sourcing hub.
» Maa Shishu focuses on holistic parenting and STEM Confex focuses on development of children’s critical skills through pedagogy.
Two Panel Discussions were held during the fairs titled, ‘Reinventing the Future of Toys’ and ‘Geographical Indication (GI) -Ecosystem and Initiatives for Brand Promotion through Market Linkages’. Among panelists were leading industry professionals and consultants.
8th India International MSME-Startups Expo & Summit 2022
⇒ The 8th India International MSME-Startups Expo & Summit 2022 was organized from 25 to 27 August, 2022 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi.
The India International MSME-Startups Expo & Summit 2022 was organized by MSME Development Forum, recognized and supported by Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises, Government of India.
» India’s only MSME Startups & Summit 2022: “B2G/B2B Meets – Networking New Opportunities” provided a much-needed unified Global networking & business promotion platform to Trade, Industry & service providers.
- Exhibitors/Sponsors, Business delegations, Trade and Industry buyers/sellers, Franchisees, Investors, Collaboration and joint venture seekers, technology and service providers, visitors were invited to participate as Exhibitor/ Sponsor/Franchiser in the India International MSME Startups Expo & Summit 2022.
Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh addressed the 8th India International MSME & StartUp Summit and Expo, as chief guest.
- Dr Jitendra Singh called for linking Start-Ups with Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) sector and said that the Government headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi is taking all measures including necessary policy changes to strengthen the MSME.
- Dr Jitendra Singh said, this sector has played an important role in shaping the Atma Nirbhar Bharat and added that the government has substantially increased the budget in the last eight years to strengthen the MSME sector.
- The Minister also informed that the government is encouraging unique local products to reach the global markets and, in the process, strengthening the Indian economy.
38th Meeting of Ministerial level Joint Rivers Commission of India and Bangladesh
⇒ The 38th Meeting of Ministerial level Joint Rivers Commission of India and Bangladesh was held in New Delhi on 25th August, 2022.
- The Indian delegation was led by Shri Gajendra Singh Shekhawat, Union Minister for Jal Shakti.
- The Bangladesh delegation was led by Mr. Zaheed Farooque, State Minister for Water Resources. Mr AKM Enamul Hoque Shameem, Deputy Minister for Water Resources was also part of the Bangladesh delegation.
- The meeting assumes significance as it was held after a long gap of 12 years.
» The discussions during this bilateral meeting were held on a number of ongoing bilateral issues of mutual interest including river water sharing of common rivers, sharing of flood data, addressing river pollution, conducting joint studies on sedimentation management, river bank protection works etc.
» Both sides finalized the text of MoU on Interim Water Sharing of Kushiyara river. Both sides also welcomed finalization of the design and location of water intake point on the Feni River to meet the drinking water needs of Sabroom town in Tripura as per the October 2019 India -Bangladesh MoU on this subject.
» India and Bangladesh share 54 rivers, of which 7 rivers have been identified earlier for developing framework of water sharing agreements on priority.
- During the meeting, it has been agreed to widen this area of ongoing cooperation by including 8 more rivers for data exchange.
- The matter will be further discussed at the Technical Level Committee of JRC.
- The Joint Rivers Commission of India and Bangladesh was constituted in the year 1972 as a bilateral mechanism to address issues of mutual interest on common/border/transboundary rivers.
National Sports Day
⇒ India celebrates National Sports Day on 29 August every year to commemorate the birth anniversary of hockey legend, Major Dhyan Chand.
Major Dhyan Chand was one of India’s greatest sportspersons and led India to three Olympic gold medals in 1928, 1932 and 1936. He was awarded India’s third highest civilian honour of Padma Bhushan in 1956.
- The day is also dedicated to the nations’ sports heroes and champions, honoring their contribution and dedication towards bringing laurels to the country.
- The day is celebrated with the aim of raising awareness about the values of sports: discipline, perseverance, sportsman spirit, teamwork and to encourage the public at large to take up sports and make it an integral part of their lives.
» The day was first designated and celebrated as India’s National Sports Day in 2012.
On the occasion of National Sports Day, Central Civil Services Cultural and Sports Board, a registered society under Department of Personnel and Training organized following events at Vinay Marg Sports Complex, New Delhi.
- Hockey (Men and Women)
- Athletics 100 meters (Men and Women)
- Volleyball (Men and Women)
- Basketball (Men and Women)
- All Civilian employees of Government of India posted in Delhi/New Delhi were invited to participate in the event.