Statue of Equality
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited Hyderabad on 5th February 2022. During the visit, Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation the ‘Statue of Equality’ in Hyderabad.
- The Statue of Equality is located in the premises of the Chinna Jeeyar Trust at Muchintal, Hyderabad.
The 216-feet tall Statue of Equality commemorates the 11th century Bhakti Saint Sri Ramanujacharya, who promoted the idea of equality in all aspects of living including faith, caste and creed.
- The Statue is made of ‘panchaloha’, a combination of five metals: gold, silver, copper, brass, and zync and is among one of the tallest metallic statues in sitting position, in the world.
- The Statue of Equality is the second tallest sitting statue in the world.
- It is mounted on a 54-ft high base building, named ‘Bhadra Vedi’, has floors devoted for a Vedic digital library and research centre, ancient Indian texts, a theatre, an educational gallery detailing many works of Sri Ramanujacharya.
- Identical Rcreations of 108 Divya Desams (ornately carved temples) also surround the Statue of Equality.
» The statue has been conceptualised by Sri Chinna Jeeyar Swami of Sri Ramanujacharya Ashram. This statue of Sri Ramanujacharya is a symbol of his wisdom, detachment and ideals.
Two New Ramsar Sites in India
⇒ The national level celebration of World Wetlands Day 2022 was organized on 02 February 2022 at Sultanpur National Park, a Ramsar site of Haryana.
Two new Ramsar sites (Wetlands of International Importance), Khijadia Wildlife Sanctuary in Gujarat and Bakhira Wildlife Sanctuary in Uttar Pradesh were also announced on the occasion of World Wetlands Day 2022.
About Ramsar Sites:
- Bakhira Wildlife Sanctuary in UP provides a safe wintering and staging ground for a large number of species of the Central Asian Flyway.
- Khijadia Wildlife Sanctuary is a coastal wetland with rich avifaunal diversity providing a safe habitat to endangered and vulnerable species.
- India now has a network of 49 Ramsar sites covering an area of 10,93,636 hectares.
- India has established the largest network of Ramsar Sites in South Asia.
Director General of National Institute of Electronics & Information Technology
⇒ Dr. Madan Mohan Tripathi has joined as Director General of National Institute of Electronics & Information Technology (NIELIT).
- National Institute of Electronics & Information Technology (NIELIT) is an autonomous body under the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India.
Fifth submarine of Project 75, Yard 11879
⇒ The fifth submarine of Project 75, Yard 11879, Indian Navy’s Kalvari class commenced her sea trials on 01 February 2022.
- The submarine was launched in November 2020 from the Kanhoji Angre Wet Basin of Mazagon Dock Shipbuilders Limited (MDL).
- The submarine would be named Vagir, after commissioning.
- The submarine is scheduled for delivery to the Indian Navy in the year 2022.
Best Tableaux and Best Marching Contingents of Republic Day parade 2022
World Wetlands Day 2022
⇒ World Wetlands Day is observed every year globally on 2nd February aiming to raise awareness about the vital role the wetlands play for people and the planet.
- This day also marks the date of the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands on 2 February 1971, in the Iranian city of Ramsar.
The theme of ‘World Wetlands Day 2022’ is ‘Wetlands Action for People and Nature’, which is a call to take action for preservation of wetlands.
- This year’s theme highlights the importance of actions to ensure the conservation and sustainable use of wetlands for humans and planetary health.
» 2 February 2022 is the first year that World Wetlands Day was observed as a United Nations international day, following its adoption by the General Assembly on 30 August 2021 in a resolution co-sponsored by 75 member states.
» The first World Wetlands Day was observed in 1997.
2022 Laureus 'World Breakthrough of the Year' award Nominees
⇒ India’s Olympic gold medal-winning javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra was nominated for the prestigious 2022 Laureus ‘World Breakthrough of the Year’ award.
Other 2022 nominees for the award:
- Tennis Player, Daniil Medvedev (RUS)
- Footballer, Pedri (ESP)
- Tennis Player, Emma Raducanu (GBR)
- Athlete, Yulimar Rojas (VEN)
- Swimmer, Ariarne Titmus (AUS)
» He is now only the third Indian to fetch a Laureus nomination after cricket legend Sachin Tendulkar and wrestler Vinesh Phogat.
The winners will be revealed in April, following a vote by the Laureus World Sports Academy, the world’s ultimate sports jury, made up of 71 of the greatest sporting legends of all time.
Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar
⇒ Legendary singer Lata Mangeshkar passed away in Mumbai February 6, 2022. The veteran singer, popularly known as the Melody Queen, was 92.
The Government of India announced a two-day national mourning in memory of Bharat Ratna Lata Mangeshkar. As a mark of respect, the national flag was flown at half-mast for two days. A state funeral was accorded to the legendary singer, who received the Bharat Ratna, in 2001.
- Lata Mangeshkar was born on September 28, 1929, to a Marathi and Konkani musician Pandit Deenanath Mangeshkar.
- Originally named Hema, she was the eldest of five siblings, including veteran singer Asha Bhosle.
- Lata Mangeshkar recorded her first playback song for a Marathi film, Kiti Hasaal, at the age of 13.
- In 1972, Lata Mangeshkar won the first National Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the film Parichay.
- In 1984, the State Government of Madhya Pradesh instituted the Lata Mangeshkar Award, while the Government of Maharashtra also instituted a Lata Mangeshkar Award in 1992 to promote singing talent.