Unique Face Recognition Technology for Pensioners
⇒ Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh launched unique Face Recognition Technology for Pensioners on 29 November 2021.
Dr Jitendra Singh said:
The Face Recognition Technique of giving Life Certificate is a historic and far reaching reform, since it will touch the lives of not only 68 lakh Central Government Pensioners but also Crores of Pensioners who fall outside the jurisdiction of this Department such as EPFO, State Government Pensioners etc.
» This will bring ease of living for the retired and the elderly citizens.
This technology has been devised by National Informatics Center (NIC), the Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology as well as UIDAI (Unique Identification Authority of India).
Winner of Startup India Grand Challenge 2021
⇒ A Kerala-based medical technology start-up has been adjudged the winner of Startup India Grand Challenge 2021 in the medical device category of the Government of India.
The Grand Challenge was organized by the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Govt of India along with Startup India and Investindia.org.
» Sascan Meditech, the start-up incubated at the SCTIMST-TIMed the Technology Business Incubator of Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology, Thiruvananthapuram, received a Cash grant of INR 15,00,000 at the Grand Challenge.
- Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences & Technology, Thiruvananthapuram is an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology.
» Sascan Meditech has developed OralScan, a handheld device for early, accurate, and cost-effective detection of pre-cancerous lesions in the mouth. It is a biophotonics technology-based device.
» Sascan’s second product CerviScan, a hand-held non-invasive device for cervical cancer screening and early detection of cervical cancer, will be launched soon.
⇒ All India Radio has decided to begin a new programme called AIRNxt to offer youth a platform to air their voices as part of the ongoing Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav celebrations.
Starting from 28 November 2021, for the next 52 weeks, AIR stations, in all States and UTs across India, will give opportunity to youngsters from local colleges, universities to take part in AIR programming, allowing them to discuss and curate youth-centric shows.
- These shows would encourage the youth to speak about the achievements of the country during last 75 years of independence and where do they expect the country to reach in various fields.
- About 20,000 youth from 1000 educational institutions will be participating during the next one year from every nook and corner of India through 167 AIR stations.
- It is the biggest single theme show on All India Radio involving thousands of youth and hundreds of Educational Institutions across the country.
- This talent hunt show #AIRNxt will be broadcast in all major Indian languages and dialects.
India Young Water Professional Programme
⇒ The first edition of the India Young Water Professional Programme was launched virtually on 29 November 2021.
More than 100 participants joined the launch of India Young Water Professional Program.
This program has been taken up under National Hydrology Project, a Central Scheme of DOWR, and RD & GR and supported by the Australian Water Partnership.
This Program will be implemented by Australia India Water Centre (a consortium of Australian and Indian universities).
- This Program is unique and different from typical capacity building and training programs.
- It is focused on Engaged Training and Learning Model.
- About 70% of the program is focused on project-based learning through Situation Understanding and Improvement Projects (SUIP).
- The Program focus on gender equality and diversity, because sustainable water management can only benefit from the views and skills of all members of society.
- A total of 20 participants have been selected for the first edition of this Programme (10 men and 10 women) from central and state implementing agencies of the National Hydrology Project.
This initiative aims to provide a structured platform for capacity building with strategic and long-term investment to support the water management reforms in India.
The objectives of India Young Water Professional Programme are to equip water professionals with the necessary skills, knowledge, behaviours and networks that will better enable them to contribute to the development and management of water resources in India.
Its objective is to address the competency needs and priorities of the water sector in India.
Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi Assumes Command of SNC
⇒ Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi, AVSM, NM took over the reins of the Southern Naval Command (SNC) as its 29th Flag Officer Commanding- in-Chief on 30 November 2021.
Vice Admiral MA Hampiholi was the Commandant of the Indian Naval Academy, Kannur, Kerala prior to taking over this appointment.
Renowned Telugu film lyricist, Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry
⇒ Renowned Telugu film lyricist and Padma Shri awardee, Sirivennela Seetharama Sastry passed away on 30 November 2021. He was 66.
Sastry, who is known for his magnificent songs in films like ‘Sirivennela’, ‘Swarna Kamalam’, ‘Subha Lagnam’, ‘Rudraveena’ and many others, became popular with veteran director K Viswanath’s film ‘Sirivennela’ in 1986.
Since then, he has penned about 3,000 songs and bagged the Andhra Pradesh government’s Nandi award several times, besides other honours.