Poshan Gyan Initiative
- NITI Aayog, in partnership with Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Centre for Social and Behaviour Change, Ashoka University, on 13 April 2021 launched Poshan Gyan, a national digital repository on health and nutrition.
While launching the website, Dr Rajiv Kumar, Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog, said Poshan Gyan is an extremely important initiative, and can help make nutrition a Jan Andolan.
Three Initiatives for National Internet Exchange of India
- Shri Ajay Prakash Sawhney, IAS, Secretary Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) & Chairman NIXI on 15 April 2021 inaugurated three path breaking initiatives for National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI).
Three new initiatives are:
1. IPv6 Expert Panel (IP Guru):
IP Guru is a group to extend support to all the Indian entities who are finding it technically challenging to migrate and adopt IPv6.
2. NIXI Academy:
NIXI Academy is created to educate technical/non-technical people in India to learn and relearn technologies like IPv6.
NIXI has developed an IPv6 index portal for the Internet community. NIXI-IP-INDEX portal will showcase the IPv6 adoption rate in India and across the world.
National Internet Exchange of India (NIXI) is a not-for-profit organization working since 2003 for spreading the internet infrastructure to the citizens of India.
Indian and French Navy bilateral exercise ‘VARUNA-2021’
- The 19th edition of the Indian and French Navy bilateral exercise ‘VARUNA-2021’ was conducted in the Arabian Sea from 25th to 27th April 2021.
During the three day exercise high tempo-naval operations was seen at sea. It included advanced air defence and anti-submarine exercises, intense fixed and rotary wing flying operations, tactical manoeuvres, surface and anti-air weapon firings, underway replenishment and other maritime security operations.
After completion of exercise VARUNA-21, to consolidate accrued best practices and enhance interoperability, Indian Navy’s guided missile frigate INS Tarkash continued to exercise with the French Navy’s Carrier Strike Group (CSG) from 28th April to 1st May 2021.
During this period, the ship took part in advanced surface, anti-submarine and air-defence operations with the French CSG.
2021 Asian Wrestling Championships
- The 34th edition of Asian Wrestling Championships has been organised from 13 April to 18 April, 2021 in Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Both Iran and Kazakhstan topped the medal table with a total of 17 medals, while India finished third with 14 medals, which includes 5 Gold, 3 Silver and 6 Bronze.
Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2021
- Formula 1 Emilia Romagna Grand Prix 2021 took place over 63 laps of the 4.959-kilometre Autodromo Enzo e Dino Ferrari, former home of the San Marino GP, on 18 April 2021.
Red Bull Racing Honda driver Max Verstappen won the Formula 1 ‘Pirelli Gran Premio Del Made in Italy E Dell’emilia Romagna 2021′ race at Imola.
Former International Female Hockey Umpire, Anupama
- Former international female hockey umpire Anupama died on 18 April 2021. She was 40.
She made her Karnataka debut at the 1995 sub-junior nationals in New Delhi.
In 2004, Anupama became the first woman umpire from the Karnataka on the erstwhile Indian Hockey Federation (IHF) panel. Anupama was the first Indian woman to officiate as umpire at the Commonwealth Games 2006 in Melbourne.
She went for umpiring in several international events, including the Asian Games, FIH junior World Cup, East Asian Games and the Central American and Caribbean Games.
Former Assam Chief Minister, Dr Bhumidhar Barman
- Former Assam Chief Minister & 7-time MLA, Dr Bhumidhar Barman passed away in Guwahati on 18 April 2021. He was 90.
Dr Barman was the Chief Minister of Assam between April 1996 and May 1996 and later in 2010.
Co-founder of the Software Company Adobe Inc., Charles “Chuck” Geschke
- The co-founder of the major software company Adobe Inc., Charles “Chuck” Geschke died on 16 April 2021. He was 81.
He had helped in the development of Portable Document Format technology, or PDFs.