National Anti-Doping Bill, 2022
⇒ The Rajya Sabha passed the National Anti-Doping Bill, 2022 on 03 August 2022.
The Bill was introduced in Lok Sabha on 17th December, 2021 and passed on 27th July, 2022 with some Official Amendments proposed on the basis of the suggestions/recommendations received from the Parliamentary Standing Committee and some other key stakeholders.
Parliament passed the National Anti-Doping Bill 2022 to provide for the constitution of National Anti-Doping agency as a statutory body for regulating anti-doping activities in sports.
The salient features of the Bill are as follows:
- Statutory framework in the form of legislation for prohibition of doping in sports and enforcing anti-doping activities in the country.
The proposed Bill intends to accomplish:
- Building institutional capabilities in anti-doping and enabling hosting of major sports events;
- Protecting rights of all sportspersons;
- Ensuring time-bound justice to athletes;
- Enhancing cooperation among agencies in fighting doping in sports;
- Reinforcing India’s commitment to international obligations for clean sports;
- Independent mechanism for anti-doping adjudication;
- Providing legal sanctity to National Anti-Doping Agency (NADA) & National Dope Testing Laboratory (NDTL);
- Establishing more Dope Testing Labs;
- Creating job opportunities both, directly & indirectly; and
- Creating opportunities for academic research, science and manufacturing relating to Anti-Doping.
- Establishing standards for the manufacturing of nutritional supplements for sports in India.
Two Vigilance Commissioners
⇒ Shri Praveen Kumar Srivastava and Shri Arvinda Kumar took oath as Vigilance Commissioners on 03 August 2022.
They were sworn in by the Central Vigilance Commissioner, Sh Suresh N Patel at the office of the Central Vigilance Commission, Satarkata Bhawan, New Delhi.
- They were appointed as Vigilance Commissioners in the Central Vigilance Commission by the Hon’ble President of India by warrants dated 21st July, 2022.
- The Central Vigilance Commission Act, 2003, provides for the appointment of a Central Vigilance Commissioner and two Vigilance Commissioners.
- The tenure of the Vigilance Commissioner is of four years or till the incumbent attains the age of 65 years.
- Shri Praveen Kumar Srivastava is an Indian Administrative Service officer of 1988 batch, Assam-Meghalaya Cadre.
- Shri Arvinda Kumar is an Assam & Meghalaya cadre IPS officer, who served as the 27th Director of the Intelligence Bureau from June 30, 2019 to June 30, 2022.
Official Visit of President of Maldives to India
⇒ The President of the Republic of Maldives, Mr Ibrahim Mohamed Solih called on the President of India, Smt Droupadi Murmu at Rashtrapati Bhavan on August 02, 2022.
The President of the Republic of Maldives, Mr. Ibrahim Mohamed Solih, was on an Official Visit to India at the invitation of the Prime Minister of the Republic of India, Shri Narendra Modi.
- This was President Solih’s third visit to India since assuming office on 17 November 2018.
Prime Minister Modi and President Solih agreed to further deepen institutional linkages for cooperation in the areas of defence and security, investment promotion, human resource development, infrastructure development including climate and energy.
List of Outcomes: during the Official Visit of President of Maldives to India
Groundbreaking/Review of Projects
- Pouring of first concrete of the Greater Male Connectivity Project- an USD 500 Mn India funded project- marking the commencement of permanent works
- Review of the progress on the construction of 4,000 social housing units in Hulhumale being funded under Exim Bank of India Buyer’s credit finance of USD 227 Mn
- Overview of India Maldives development cooperation including Addu roads and reclamation, water and sanitation in 34 islands and Friday Mosque restoration projects
- MoU on Capacity Building & Training of Members of Local Councils & Women Development Committee of Maldives between NIRDPR, India and Local Government Authority, Maldives
- MoU on Collaboration in potential fishing zone forecast capacity building and data sharing and marine scientific research between INCOIS, India and Ministry of Fisheries, Maldives
- MoU for Cooperation in the area of Cyber Security between CERT-India and NCIT, Maldives
- MoU for cooperation in the field of disaster management between NDMA, India and NDMA, Maldives
- Agreement between EXIM Bank, India and Ministry of Finance, Maldives for USD 41 Mn Buyer’s Credit Financing of Police Infrastructure in Maldives
- Letter of Intent between Exim Bank of India and Ministry of Finance, Maldives on Buyer’s Credit funding approval of USD 119 Mn for additional 2,000 social housing units to be constructed in Hulhumale
- Extension of USD 100 Mn new Line of Credit to finance infrastructure projects in Maldives
- Approval for award of EPC contract for the USD 128 Mn Hanimadhoo Airport Development project under Line of Credit
- Approval of DPR and commencement of tendering process of the USD 324 Mn Gulhifahlu Port development project under Line of Credit
- Approval of Feasibility Report and financial closure for the USD 30 Mn Cancer Hospital project under Line of Credit
- USD 119 Mn Buyer’s Credit financing by Exim Bank of India for additional 2,000 social housing units in Hulhumale
- Facilitation of duty-free tuna exports to India from Maldives
- Supply of a replacement ship for the earlier provided ship-CGS Huravee -to Maldives National Defence Force
- Supply of the second Landing Craft Assault (LCA) to Maldives National Defence Force
- Gifting of 24 utility vehicles to Maldives National Defence Force
East Bengal's highest decoration ‘Bharat Gaurav’
⇒ East Bengal celebrated its 102nd foundation day by according its highest decoration of ‘Bharat Gaurav’ to tennis great Leander Paes and former India women’s cricket captain Jhulan Goswami at a glittering awards ceremony, on 01 August 2022.
The club also felicitated its stalwarts and former captains Gautam Sarkar and Swapan Sengupta with lifetime achievement awards.