- India Post, Mumbai which has commenced celebration of the National Postal Week from 9th October has come out with unique philately merchandise.
India Post Mumbai Launched the “Stamped Mask” on Philately Day i.e on 13th October. On these masks images of postage stamps are imprinted.
- The Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog has started a nation-wide campaign to celebrate “Kamdhenu Deepawali Abhiyan” this year on the occasion of Deepawali festival. In this campaign, for the Diwali Festival Rashtriya Kamdhenu Aayog is promoting extensive use of cow-dung/ Panchgavya products.
The manufacturing of Cow dung based products Diyas, Candles, Dhoop, Agarbatti, ShubhLabh, Swastik, Samrani, Hardboard, Wall-piece, Paper-weight, Havan samagri, Idols of Lord Ganesha and Goddess Lakshmi, for Diwali festival has already started.
- Govt of Haryana launched a State of the Art Mobile Water Testing Laboratory Van. The Van is fully equipped with multi-parameter system containing analyzers/ sensor/ probes/ instruments meant for water testing.
Jal Jeevan Mission: Lab on wheels features
- It is mini water quality testing laboratery
- GPS enabled, Internet accessed & computerised
- Capable of measuring different water quality parameters
- It can be deployed in case of emergency on account of water borne disease
- Mobilized to test water samples in remote & sensitive locations
- Type of test: pH, alkalinity, TDS, hardness, residual chlorine, zinc, nitrite, Fluoride, turbidity and micro-biological test of water samples
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi released the autobiography of Dr. Balasaheb Vikhe Patil on 13th October, 2020, titled “Deh Vechwa Karani” which means “dedicating one’s life for a noble cause”. PM Modi also renamed the “Pravara Rural Education Society” as “Loknete Dr Balasaheb Vikhe Patil Pravara Rural Education Society”, in his honour.
- In United Nations Human Rights Council, China, Russia and Cuba won seats on the UN’s premiere human rights body on 13 October 2020. Pakistan was also re-elected to UNHRC.
Among the five candidates from the Asia-Pacific region, Pakistan secured 169 votes, Uzbekistan received 164, Nepal 150, China 139 and Saudi Arabia lost the race with just 90 votes.
- The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank signed a $300 million loan on 12th October 2020. The loan is intended to finance inclusive and sustainable water supply and sanitation infrastructure and services in 14 secondary towns of the state of Rajasthan.
The project aims to provide better quality and more sustainable water supply and sanitation (WSS) services in the project towns.
- The Asian Development Bank and the Government of India signed a $ 270 million loan on 12th October, 2020. The loan is intended to develop water supply and integrated storm water and sewage management infrastructure and strengthen capacities of urban local bodies (ULBs) for improved service delivery in the state of Madhya Pradesh.
- Essar Oil and Gas Exploration and Production Ltd appointed Santosh Chandra as the new chief executive officer of the firm on 15th October 2020.
- Actress Conchata Ferrell passed away due to complications from cardiac arrest in California on 12th October 2020. She was 77. She starred in the US sitcom Two And A Half Men.
- Eminent Malayalam poet Akkitham Achuthan Namboothiri died due to age-related ailments on 15 October 2020. He was 94.
He was received Jnanpith award in September 2020. He was the recipient of the Padma Shri award.
- Journalist and lyricist Herbert Kretzmer died due to advanced effects of Parkinson’s disease in London on 14th October 2020. He was 95. He was best known for his English-language adaptation of the musical Les Miserables.