- Union Environment Minister, Shri Prakash Javadekar will be chairing a webinar on the first-ever International Day of Clean Air for Blue Skies on 07 September 2020. Principal Secretaries of the Urban Development Department and Environment Department of 28 states and 8 Union Territories will join the webinar.
- A virtual meeting of G20 Education Ministers was held on 05 Sep 2020. This meeting was to discuss and share experiences of member countries in the three identified areas of Education Continuity in Times of Crises, Early Childhood Education and Internationalization in Education. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is hosting G-20 Leaders’ Summit in 2020.
G20 members are:
Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Republic of Korea, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Turkey, the United Kingdom, the United States and the European Union (EU).
During the month of Sep 2020 “3rd Rashtriya Poshan Maah” is being celebrated. The objective of the Poshan Maah is to encourage Jan Bhagidaari, in order to create a Jan Andolan, for addressing malnutrition amongst young children, and women and to ensure health and nutrition for everyone. The Poshan Maah is celebrated under POSHAN Abhiyaan (PM’s Overarching Scheme for Holistic Nourishment).
- On 5th September 2020, Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh held a bilateral meeting with Iran’s Minister of Defence and Armed Forces Logistics, Brigadier General Amir Hatami, at the latter’s request. Raksha Mantri was on a transit halt in Tehran enroute from Moscow to New Delhi after SCO meeting. The bilateral meeting Talks centered on Issues of regional security including Afghanistan and bilateral cooperation.
- Hon’ble President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind and Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi shall address the inaugural session of the Governors’ Conference on National Education Policy on 7th September 2020. The Conference will be organized by the Ministry of Education, Govt. of India via video conferencing and the title of conference will be “Role of NEP-2020 in Transforming Higher Education”.
- A biographical novel “Bayalembo Bayalu” written by Gulbarga University’s Kannada Department head H. T. Pot, was released in Bengaluru on 05 Sep 2020, by Padma Shri Doddarange Gowda, poet and lyricist. The novel reflects the life of the oppressed communities.
Science & Technology:
- Scientists from the Centre for Nano and Soft Matter Sciences (CeNS), India have discovered that high levels of light in the blue wavelengths or actinic light lead to switching between two photo isomers – Chiral Nematic (Ch) and Twist Grain Boundary Smectic C* (TGBC*) which are liquid crystal phases possessing photonic structures in one and three dimensions, respectively. This newly discovered interaction between light and molecules can power optical devices. This work of research has been published in the Journal of Physical Chemistry.
- Researchers from Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR), India have developed a theranostics (diagnostic therapy) drug candidate for lung cancer. The research work was published in the journal Theranostics.
- Researchers at RMIT University have developed prototype device “Electronic Skin”. Electronic artificial skin can reacts to pain just like real skin & it can also sense and react to changes in temperature and pressure.
- China’s experimental reusable spacecraft was successfully launched on 04 Sep 2020. It was launched into orbit from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China, with a Long March-2F carrier rocket. After two days aircraft was successfully returned to earth on a designated site on 06 Sep 2020.
- Judith Ravin on 06 Sep 2020 assumed the post of Consul General of the United States of America in Chennai.
- IPL Governing Council announced the schedule for Dream11 Indian Premier League 2020. This is being held in UAE. The season will start on 19th September in Abu Dhabi with a match between Mumbai Indians and Chennai Super Kings. The final match of the tournament will be played on 10 Nov 2020.
- Kesavananda Bharati, the seer of Edneer Mutt died in Kasaragod, Kerala on 06 Sep 2020. He was 79. He was the petitioner of a landmark case in supreme court that helped establish the basic structure doctrine of the Indian Constitution which guarantees that the fundamental or “basic structure” of the Indian Constitution cannot be altered by parliamentary amendment.