⇒ Union Minister for Power and MNRE Shri R K Singh virtually launched Powerthon-2022 for Enabling Advanced Technology in Power Distribution on 07 February 2022.
Powerthon, a hackathon competition under Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS) to find technology driven solutions to solve the complex problems in power distribution and to ensure quality and reliable power supply.
- REC Limited launched Powerthon-2022 in collaboration with SINE, IIT Bombay, India’s premier technological institute.
A hackathon competition wherein Technology Solution Providers, start-ups, educational institutions, research institute, equipment manufacturers, state power utilities and other state and central power sector entities, shall be briefed on the current challenges/problem statements faced across the power distribution sector and invited to participate and showcase their technology driven solutions to solve the complex problems.
The hackathon will task participants to find innovative solutions based on advanced emerging technologies like AI/ML, Blockchain, IoT, VR/AR etc on nine themes that have been identified after various discussions & consultations with 14 DISCOMs across 9 states.
It is categorized across 9 broad aspects for pilot testing:
- Demand/Load Forecasting
- AT&C (Aggregate Technical & Commercial) Loss Reduction
- Energy Theft Detection
- Prediction of DT (Distribution Transformer) Failure
- Asset Inspection
- Vegetation Management
- Consumer Experience Enhancement
- RE (Renewable Energy) Integration
- Power Purchase Optimization
Powerthon-2022 is launched in line with the aim of Revamped Distribution Sector Scheme (RDSS) introduced by the Ministry of Power, Government of India.
- RDSS is a Reform-based and Result-linked Scheme introduced by the Ministry of Power.
- The key objectives of RDSS are Reducing AT&C losses to 12-15%, eliminating the ACOS-ARR gap by 2024-25 and improving the quality & reliability of the power supply to build a robust power sector. This can amplify the development opportunities in the nation’s quest for a thriving economy.
- RDSS has 2 major components, of which Part A is Strengthening & Upgradation of Distribution infrastructure under which Smart prepaid metering, Communicable feeders for DTs & Unified software is of focus.
- This Scheme also lays special emphasis on using Advanced tech to analyze data generated through IT/OT devices to Increase operational efficiency & financial sustainability of DISCOMs.
Book ‘Dhyaas Panthe Chaalta’
⇒ The Vice President Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released a book ‘Dhyaas Panthe Chaalta’ – a historical account of the 160-year legacy of the Maharashtra Education Society (MES) from Upa Rashtrapati Nivas on 08 February 2022.
- The author of the book is Dr Ketaki Modak.
Shri Naidu noted that the Society was established in Pune in 1860 with the intention of imparting scientific education to the youth and fostering nationalist values among people.
- It was one of the first private educational institutions to be formed in the country, with the efforts of stalwarts such as the great “Adya Krantikarak” Shri Vasudeo Balavant Phadke.
India Telecom 2022
⇒ Union Minister of Communications, Electronics & Information Technology and Railway, Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw inaugurated ‘India Telecom 2022’ – an Exclusive International Business Expo on 08 February 2022.
India Telecom 2022 was a platform for convergence of technology and business exchange. The event was held on February 8-10, 2022.
The event was organised by Telecom Equipment and Services Export Promotion Council (TEPC) under Market Access Initiative Scheme (MAI) of Department of Commerce, Government of India and with support of Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of External Affairs and Indian missions in different countries.
Qualified buyers from more than 45 countries attended the event. Apart from the conference, 40+ Indian telecom companies showcased their products and capabilities at the exhibition.
The aim of the event was to provide opportunities to the Indian telecom stakeholders to meet qualified overseas buyers.
Chairperson of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India
⇒ Shri Ravi Mital took charge as Chairperson of Insolvency and Bankruptcy Board of India in New Delhi on 09 February 2022.
Prior to joining the IBBI as Chairperson, Shri Mital, a 1986 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer of Bihar cadre, superannuated from the position of Secretary, Department of Sports, Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports.
World Book of Records officially recognised Atal Tunnel as Longest Highway Tunnel
⇒ Atal Tunnel has officially been certified by World Book of Records, as the ‘World’s Longest Highway Tunnel above 10,000 Feet’, during a landmark ceremony on 09 February 2022, in New Delhi.
Lt Gen Rajeev Chaudhry, Director General of Border Roads Organisation received the award for the stupendous achievement of the Border Roads Organisation (BRO) in constructing this engineering marvel connecting Manali to the Lahaul – Spiti Valley.
The 9.02 km long, strategically significant, Atal Tunnel, that runs under the ‘Rohtang Pass’ was constructed on the Manali – Leh Highway.
World Book of Records UK, is an organisation that catalogues and verifies extraordinary records across the world with authentic certification.