⇒ A three-day international conference ANGAN 2022 (Augmenting Nature by Green Affordable New-habitat) was held from 14 September to 16 September, 2022 in New Delhi.
- This was the second edition of ANGAN titled “Making the Zero-Carbon Transition in Buildings”.
ANGAN 2.0 was organised by the Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE), Ministry of Power, in collaboration with Swiss Agency for Development & Cooperation (SDC) under the Indo-Swiss Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP).
- The objective of ANGAN 2022 was to deliberate on various thematic tracks leading India on the road to Net Zero Energy and Low Carbon Buildings and develop a discussion paper.
- The objective of this conference was to promote a healthy ecosystem which was mentioned at COP 26 in Glasgow by the Prime Minister Shri Narender Modi on LiFE (Lifestyle And Environment) and Panchamrit, aiming to make India Net Zero by 2070.
- The conference witnessed deliberation on critical issues like “Unlocking Finance for Low-Carbon Buildings, “Thermal Comfort and Climate Resilience in Residential buildings”.
- The Conference had special sessions on “Women in the Resource Efficiency Conversation”.
- Experts from more than 15 countries and international organisations discussed technologies for energy efficient buildings.
- More than 500 delegates consisting of Architects, Engineers, Builders, building material industries, Teachers, Students, Researchers, central and state government officials attended the conference.
- This conference also hosted an exhibition of various low carbon products, technologies and innovations applicable in the building sector.
» The winners of the BEE’s 1st National Energy Efficiency Roadmap for Movement towards Affordable and Natural habitat (NEERMAN) Awards were felicitated on 15 September 2022.
- These awards are institutionalised with the objective to acknowledge and encourage exemplary building designs complying with BEE’s Eco-Niwas Samhita (ENS) and Energy Conservation Building Code (ECBC).
- The NEERMAN award has seen participation of building projects across the country from Jammu & Kashmir to Andaman & Nicobar Islands.
» The Indo-Swiss Building Energy Efficiency Project (BEEP) is a bilateral cooperation between the Ministry of Power (MoP), Government of India and the Federal Department of Foreign Affairs (FDFA) of the Swiss Confederation.
- Over this period, BEEP has provided technical support to BEE in the formulation of Eco-Niwas Samhita (energy conservation building code for residential buildings), design of around 50 buildings and trained more than 5000 building sector professionals.
» The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) is the Implementing agency on behalf of the MoP while the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) is the agency on behalf of FDFA.
Centre of Excellence for Khadi presented Aavartan
⇒ In an endeavor to connect with people, the Centre of Excellence for Khadi presented Aavartan, a two-day event on 16th & 17th September 2022 at the Bangalore International Centre (BIC) Bengaluru.
The aim of the event was to integrate Khadi with other art forms to take the ‘Khadi Spirit’ to a broader audience and interpret Khadi with newer meanings.
- The event focused on connecting Khadi with Youth through the exhibition and the sessions and gave Khadi Institutions a platform to showcase their products.
» The event showcased home and apparel collections designed for a pan-generational audience by the in-house designers of CoEK.
» Its three sessions: Relinking Khadi; Khadi for new Generation; and the DNA for Khadi, encouraged conversation on sustainability and legacy of Khadi.
- The Centre of Excellence for Khadi (CoEK) was conceived by the Ministry of MSME to support Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC) in association with the National Institute of Fashion Technology, with the intention to reach out to young audience and global market.
- The centre has been set up as a ‘hub and spokes model’ at Delhi as ‘hub’, and Bengaluru, Gandhinagar, Kolkata and Shillong as ‘spokes’.
Multinational Maritime Exercise Kakadu 2022
⇒ The Multinational Maritime Exercise Kakadu 2022 was conducted in Darwin from 12 September to 25 September, 2022. The multinational Exercise Kakadu 2022 was hosted by the Royal Australian Navy.
The theme of Exercise Kakadu 2022 was ‘Partnership, Leadership, Friendship’.
A P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft of the Indian Navy participated in the Exercise Kakadu 2022 along with INS Satpura.
- The maiden participation of the P8I provided an enhanced exposure to the aircrew, augmenting the understanding of the varied nuances of collaborative Anti-Submarine and Anti-Surface Warfare operations in a complex multi-threat scenario.
» The exercise had the participation of 34 aircraft from over 20 nations.
The two-week-long Exercise, both in harbour and sea, involved ships and maritime aircraft from 14 Navies.
- During the harbour phase of the exercise, the ship’s crew were involved in operational planning interactions and sports activities with participating Navies.
» The seamless operations conducted by P8I in consonance with the exercise theme ‘Partnership, Leadership, Friendship’ along with USN and RAAF P8s enabled refining joint SOPs and enhance interoperability and reaffirm Indian Navy’s commitment to the Indo-Pacific.
2022 World Wrestling Championships
⇒ The 2022 World Wrestling Championships was held from 10 September to 18 September 2022 in Belgrade, Serbia. It was the 17th edition of the World Wrestling Championships.
- The United States topped the medal table with a total of 15 medals including 7 gold, 6 silver and 2 bronze.
Performance of India:
» India ended the meet in Belgrade with two bronze medals.
- Indian wrestler Bajrang Punia won a bronze medal in men’s freestyle 65kg. India’s Vinesh Phogat won a bronze medal in the women’s freestyle 53kg.
Bajrang Punia- Men’s 65kg Freestyle- Bronze Medal
Vinesh Phogat- Women’s 53kg Freestyle- Bronze Medal
» Ace grappler Bajrang Punia became the only Indian to claim four medals at the World Wrestling Championships.
- It is Bajrang’s third bronze at the world Championships. The celebrated Indian wrestler had earlier won a bronze in 2013, silver in 2018 and bronze in 2019.
» Vinesh Phogat won her second World Championship bronze medal.
- Vinesh Phogat became the first Indian woman to win 2 medals at the World Championships.