⇒ Secretary DDR&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy has been conferred the prestigious Aryabhata Award by Astronautical Society of India (ASI) for his outstanding life-time contribution to the promotion of astronautics in India.
The award function was held on October 09, 2021 at UR Rao Satellite Centre Bangalore.
- Dr G Satheesh Reddy is a pioneer in the area of R&D of advanced avionics, navigation and missile technologies.
- Dr Reddy has contributed immensely to strategic and tactical missile systems and has helped the country become self-reliant in critical defence technologies. He is an institution builder and has set up mechanisms to establish robust defence development and production ecosystem.
- The ASI is engaged in the dissemination of technical and other information related to astronautics by conducting technical meetings, bringing out technical publications and organising exhibitions.
Discovery of a novel formulation of cost-effective thermostable insulin injection
⇒ Scientists from the CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Technology, Hyderabad, in collaboration with Bose Institute, CSIR-Indian Institute of Chemical Biology, Kolkata, have announced the discovery of a novel formulation of cost-effective thermostable insulin injection.
Researchers have shown that a small peptide molecule consists of four amino acids, named as “Insulock” prevents both heat and storage induced insulin fibrillation and thereby loss of effective quantum of insulin. They found that the “Insulock” is non-toxic, non-immunogenic and heat-stable and can maintain insulin in the active form at room temperature without any loss for months.
The work involves two major contributions:
- Identification of an appropriate small peptide to inhibit the insulin from fibrillation
- Determination of the 3-dimensional (3D) structure of the Insulock-insulin complex and its thermal stability by using high-resolution Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy
The “Insulock” has been tested in mice models. This research work has been published in iScience, an international reputed journal of Cell press.
Gallantry and meritorious service medals
⇒ Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh conferred gallantry and meritorious service medals on the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) personnel at an investiture ceremony held in New Delhi on October 09, 2021.
A total of 21 awards, including three President’s Tatrakshak Medals (Distinguished Service), eight Tatrakshak Medals (Gallantry) and 10 Tatrakshak Medals (Meritorious Service) were presented during the ceremony.
The awarding of medals was in recognition of the selfless devotion, exemplary courage and acts of valour of the ICG personnel under extreme conditions.
World's first anti-malarial vaccine
⇒ In a historic move, the World Health Organization (WHO) has endorsed the world’s first anti-malarial vaccine.
The World Health Organization approved RTS,S/AS01 malaria vaccine. RTS,S/AS01 is also known as RTS,S.
WHO is recommending widespread use of malaria vaccine among children in sub-Saharan Africa and in other regions with moderate to high P. falciparum malaria transmission.
Many vaccines exist against viruses and bacteria but this was the first time that the WHO recommended for broad use a vaccine against a human parasite.
The vaccine acts against plasmodium falciparum — one of five malaria parasite species and the most deadly.
16th meeting of the India-US Defence Policy Group
⇒ Defence Secretary of India Dr Ajay Kumar and the US Under Secretary of Defense for Policy, Dr Colin Kahl co-chaired the 16th meeting of the India-US Defence Policy Group on 08 October 2021 in Washington DC.
» The two sides reviewed the progress in operationalising India-US Major Defence Partnership, mil-to-mil engagements, implementation of foundational defence agreements, defence exercises, strengthening technology cooperation and defence trade.
» The two sides shared regional security perspectives and cooperation.
» Both sides expressed their willingness to work together to promote shared interests in the Indo-Pacific region.
» The co-chairs agreed to encourage both the private and government stakeholders to utilise the existing innovation ecosystems in defence industries for co-development and co-production.
FIH Hockey Stars Awards 2020-21
⇒ The International Hockey Federation (FIH) announced the 2020-21 edition of the FIH Stars Awards.
This year’s awards cover the period from January 2020 through to the conclusion of the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020.
The voting process started on 23 August and concluded on 15 September 2021.
2020-21 FIH Stars Awards Winners
72nd Territorial Army Day
⇒ The Territorial Army celebrated its 72nd Raising Day on 09 October 2021.
- The Territorial Army in its current form came into being when the Territorial Army Act was enacted on Aug 18, 1948.
- Initially, the Territorial Army consisted of Infantry, Armoured Corps, Air Defence Artillery, Signals, Supply and other departmental units.
- It was formally raised by the first Governor General Shri C Rajagopalachari on 09 Oct 1949, which has since been celebrated as Territorial Army Day.
Noted Cartoonist, C J Yesudasan
⇒ Noted Cartoonist C. J. Yesudasan, popularly known as Yesudasan passed away on 06 October 2021 in Kochi. He was 83.
Yesudasan was the former Chairman of Kerala Lalitha Kala Academy and was the founder Chairman of Kerala Cartoon Academy.
Yesudasan entered the world of political cartoons through Janayugom Malayalam Daily. He also worked with Shankar’s Weekly published from New Delhi and satirical magazines Cut-Cut and Tuk Tuk.
Yesudasan was felicitated with Lifetime Achievement Award by the Indian Institute of Cartoonists. The Kerala Government honoured him with the Swadeshabhimani Kesari Award for his contributions to the cartoon and media sector.
Yesudasan has also authored four books namely Aniyara, Pradhana Drishti, Postmortem and Varayile Nayanar.