'Agni Tattva - Energy for LiFE' Initiative
⇒ The launch event of Agni Tattva – Energy for LiFE, an initiative under the umbrella campaign of Sumangalam was held on 21 September 2022 at Nehru Memorial Museum and Library.
Power Foundation of India in association with Vijnana Bharati (VIBHA) organised seminars, events, and exhibitions involving communities, educational institutions, and relevant organisations to create awareness of the core concept of Agni Tattva. Agni Tattva, an element that is synonymous with energy and is amongst the five elements of Panchmahabhoot.
- The outreach program provided a platform to deliberate upon the learning and experiences of subject experts and specialists and explore solutions for a sustainable future for all.
- The initiative covered several important topics focusing on health, transport, consumption and production, security, environment, and spirituality.
» The idea of LiFE-Lifestyle for the Environment was introduced by Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi during the 26th United Nations Climate Change Conference of the Parties (COP26) in Glasgow last year.
The first conference of the Agni Tattva campaign was organised in Leh on October 7, 2022 on the theme of ‘Sustainability and Culture’.
- It witnessed participation from key stakeholders working in the areas of energy, culture, and sustainability, from diverse fields such as administration, policymakers, academics, and start-ups.
About Power Foundation of India:
- Power Foundation of India is a Society formed under the aegis of Ministry of Power, Government of India, and supported by leading CPSEs.
- The Foundation is involved in areas of advocacy and research, positively impacting the evolving energy landscape.
“Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas Sabka Vishwas”- a collection of selected speeches of Prime Minister
⇒ “Sabka Saath Sabka Vikas Sabka Vishwas – Prime Minister Narendra Modi Speaks (May 2019 – May 2020)”, a collection of selected speeches of Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, was released on September 23, 2022.
- The book was released at a function organised by Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting at Rang Bhawan Auditorium, Akashvani Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The book portrays the PM’s vision of a new India, which is self-reliant, resilient and capable of converting challenges into opportunities.
- It focuses on 86 speeches of the Prime Minister from May 2019 to May 2020 on various subjects.
- Divided into ten thematic areas, these speeches reflect the PM’s vision for ‘New India’.
- These well-distributed sections are – Aatmanirbhar Bharat: Economy, People-First Governance, Fight Against Covid-19, Emerging India: Foreign Affairs, Jai Kisan, Tech India-New India, Green India-Resilient India-Clean India, Fit India-Efficient India, Eternal India-Modern India: Cultural Heritage, and Mann ki Baat.
About Publications Division:
- The Directorate of Publications Division is a repository of books and journals which highlight the subjects of national importance and India’s rich cultural heritage.
- Established in 1941, Publications Division is a premier publishing house of Government of India offering books and journals in different languages and on diverse themes like development, Indian history, culture, literature, biographies, science, technology, environment, and employment.
National Conference of Ministers of Environment, Forest and Climate Change
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated the National Conference of Ministers of Environment, Forest and Climate Change in Ekta Nagar, Gujarat on 23rd September, 2022 via video conferencing.
- The Ministers of Environment, Forest and Climate Change from across the country participated in the conference.
» Taking forward the spirit of cooperative federalism, Conference was convened to create further synergy amongst the Central and State Governments in formulating better policies on issues, such as-
- Elimination of Plastic Pollution through multi-pronged approach, State Action Plans to effectively combat Climate Change with focus on LiFE- Lifestyle for Environment.
» It also focused on increasing the forest cover with special emphasis on restoration of degraded land and wildlife conservation.
The two-day Conference organised on the 23rd and 24th of September had six thematic sessions with topics focusing on LiFE, Combating Climate Change (Updating State Action Plans on Climate Change for Mitigation of Emissions and Adaptation to Climate Impacts); PARIVESH (Single Window System for Integrated Green Clearances); Forestry Management; Prevention and Control of Pollution; Wildlife Management; Plastics and Waste Management.
‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ gets global partner
⇒ National Cadet Corps (NCC) and United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) in the presence of Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh in New Delhi on September 22, 2022.
- The MoU has been to tackle the issue of plastic pollution and achieve the universal goal of clean water bodies through ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ and ‘Tide Turners Plastic Challenge programme’.
» Describing ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ as one of the noblest initiatives, the Defence Secretary, in his address, lauded the efforts of NCC in making the campaign a grand success.
- He asserted that 1.5 million NCC cadets have the ability to influence the thinking of youth across the world, exuding confidence that they will be instrumental in making the campaign a mass movement.
- The aim of the MoU between NCC and UNEP is to synergise and collate efforts towards engaging youth for promoting clean water bodies.
- The objective is to engage in capacity building and awareness on environmental sustainability through information sharing and training initiatives; promote opportunities for NCC cadets to participate in appropriate national & international platforms related to environment and climate change and engage in and develop joint initiatives of mutual intent pertaining to environment and climate change.
- The MoU, to remain in force for a period of three years, aims at consolidating, developing and detailing their cooperation and effectiveness to achieve the common objectives in the field of environment.
Pillar of India’s climate change resolve:
The ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ is among the slew of initiatives taken by the Government to realise the vision of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, which he referred to as ‘Panchamrit’ during the 26th United Nations Climate Change conference, COP26. COP26 held in Glasgow, Scotland between October 31 to November 13, 2021.
The Prime Minister had presented five nectar elements as India’s unprecedented contribution to deal with climate change. These are:
- India will take its non-fossil energy capacity to 500 GW by 2030.
- India will meet 50 per cent of its energy requirements from renewable energy by 2030.
- India will reduce the total projected carbon emissions by one billion tonnes from now till 2030.
- By 2030, India will reduce the carbon intensity of its economy by more than 45 per cent.
- By 2070, India will achieve the target of Net Zero.
- The NCC had, on December 01, 2021, launched ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’, a nationwide flagship campaign, initially for one month, to clean sea shores of plastic & other waste material, while raising awareness about the importance of cleanliness.
- It was subsequently extended as a Pan-India round-the-year campaign to cover rivers and other water bodies as well.
- The NCC, the largest uniformed youth organisation in the world, mobilised its cadets to collect plastic and other waste material.
- The campaign gained tremendous momentum, acceptance and participation following its launch. Different Ministries and organisations have extended their support to the NCC in this noble cause.
- Since the launch of ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’, over 100 tonnes of plastic waste have been collected from nearly 1,900 locations by more than 12 lakh NCC cadets, alumni and volunteers, impacting 1.5 crore people.
- Of the approximately 100 tonnes of collected plastic waste, more than 60 tonnes have been handed over for recycling.
‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ – a Tide Turner:
- Following the growing support and success of the campaign, the UNEP, engaged in this initiative through their ‘Tide Turner Challenge Programme’, decided to join hands with the NCC, with the aim to leverage the youth organisation’s strengths.
- The UN body has the mandate and knowledge base for addressing various issues relating to environment, including plastic pollution and has a programme for engaging youth.