Olympic-level sports complex in Ahmedabad
⇒ The Union Minister of Home Affairs and Minister of Cooperation, Shri Amit Shah, laid the foundation stone of an Olympic-level sports complex to be constructed at a cost of Rs.632 crore in Ahmedabad, Gujarat, on 29 May 2022.
About sports complex:
- This ambitious project in Naranpura area of Ahmedabad city will be completed in the next 30 months in 20.39 acres of land.
- The infrastructure boasts of an aquatic stadium, centre for sports excellence, community sports centre, indoor multipurpose hall and a fit India Zone. The facility will provide training in 1012 different Olympic sports.
- Shri Amit Shah said that with Sardar Patel Sports Complex, Narendra Modi Stadium, Naranpura Sports Complex and three other sports complexes, our preparation of international level grounds, stadiums for all sports for the Olympics, will be completed.
» The Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah, on the second day of his Gujarat visit also inaugurated residential and non-residential complexes for Gujarat Police at Kheda at a cost of Rs.348 crores.
On the second day of the Gujarat visit, Union Home Minister Shah also launched the developmental works in the area of the cooperative sector in the state.
- Union Home Minister inaugurated and dedicated several developments works at Panchamrit Dairy, Godhra.
- He inaugurated the new building of PDC Bank head office, 3 mobile ATM vans, 30 cubic meter per hour capacity oxygen plant built in 250 sqm, dedicated Panchamrit butter cold storage and Dairy Plant at Malegaon, Maharashtra. He also laid the foundation stone for the newly established Dairy Plant at Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh.
National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) Portal
⇒ National Council for Teacher Education (NCTE) under Ministry of Education has launched an online portal.
The online portal has been launched to streamline the entire process of recognition of teacher education programs of HEIs/TEIs – right from the time of inviting application for courses till the stage of issue of recognition orders including the inspection of institutions.
- The applications for the recently launched 4 Year ITEP applications will be processed on this portal. This portal will bring a paradigm shift in the functioning of NCTE.
- It aims to provide an automated robust framework thereby enhancing accountability, transparency and ease of doing business.
First Bharat Gaurav train of Karnataka
⇒ The State government has accorded in-principle approval to operate the first Bharat Gaurav train of Karnataka.
» The state Hindu religious institutions and charitable endowments (Muzrai) department has registered with South Western Railway as a service provider by depositing registration fee of Rs 1 lakh under the scheme.
About Bharat Gaurav trains:
» Bharat Gaurav trains are theme-based tourist circuit trains. It aims to showcase India’s rich cultural heritage and historical places to the people of India and the world.
- Under this policy, registered service providers are offered rakes consisting of ICF coaches under ‘right to use’ model for operating the trains.
- Under right to use model, the service provider is free to decide the business model including themes, (Ramayana circuit, Kashi Yatra, etc) routes, itinerary, tariff and other attributes connected with the model.
- They can also refurbish interiors of the coach based on the theme as well as utilize the coaches for advertisements and branding (both interior and exterior, including by third-party).
Chairperson of Committee B of the 75th World Health Assembly
⇒ India’s health secretary, Shri Rajesh Bhushan, has been appointed as the Chairperson of Committee B of the 75th World Health Assembly on 24 May 2022 that primarily deals with financial and management matters of the United Nations’ health body.
» Each year the World Health Assembly has a long and complex list of health challenges and responses to review. The assembly functions through two types of committees— committee A and committee B.
- Committee A is meant to discuss technical and health matters; and the other committee debates financial and administrative issues.
» The annual World Health Organisation (WHO) assembly was held from between May 22 and 28 in Geneva, Switzerland.
» WHO was established to promote health and ease the burden of disease worldwide; and the UN body takes direction for its goals and priorities from its 194 member states that includes India.
Honorary Award at the World’s Children’s Prize (WCP) ‘Child Rights Hero’
⇒ Shri Ashok Dyalchand was conferred with the prestigious Honorary Award at the World’s Children’s Prize (WCP) ‘Child Rights Hero’ ceremony held in Sweden on May 23, 2022.
- Ashok Dyalchand has been tirelessly campaigning against child marriages and for girls’ rights in India for more than four decades. Dr. Dyalchand is a crusader for the rights of adolescent women through his Aurangabad-based Institute of Health Management Pachod (IHMP). IHMP has touched the lives of 50,000 girls in the country and vastly improved their living standards.
Dr. Dyalchand and Ghana’s James Kofi Annan were conferred with honorary awards, Pakistan’s Malala Yousafzai was voted as the WCP ‘Child Rights Hero of the Decade’ for her “fight for the right of all girls to education and freedom”. A previous recipient of the award was Nelson Mandela.
He received the award from Queen Silvia of Sweden at a ceremony held on 23 May 2022 evening at the Gustav III theatre in Mariefred’s Gripsholms Castle.
Statehood Day of Goa, 2022
⇒ Goa celebrated its Statehood Day on 30th May. This year, Goa celebrated its 35th Statehood Day.
- Goa was annexed by India and liberated from the Portuguese rule on December 19, 1961, after 451 years. It became a Union Territory along with Daman and Diu under the President of India.
- Goa Liberation Day is celebrated every year on 19 December.
- It was a part of Union Territory of Goa, Daman & Diu till 30th May 1987 when it was carved out of form a separate state. On this day Goa became the 25th State of the Union states of India.