Union Home Minister’s Medal for Excellence in Investigation 2022
⇒ The “Union Home Minister’s Medal for Excellence in Investigation” for the year 2022 have been awarded to 151 Police personnel.
- This medal was constituted in 2018, with the objective to promote high professional standards of investigation of crime and to recognize such Excellence in Investigation.
Among the personnel receiving these awards:
15 are from CBI, 11 are from Maharashtra Police, 10 each are from Madhya Pradesh police and Uttar Pradesh Police, 8 each are from Kerala Police, Rajasthan Police and West Bengal Police and the remaining from the other States/UTs/Organizations.
- These include twenty-eight (28) women police officers.
3rd National Conference “ERMED Consortium: Digital Health Resources: A reality”
⇒ Shri Rajesh Bhushan, Union Secretary for Health and Family Welfare inaugurated 3rd National Conference “ERMED Consortium: Digital Health Resources: A reality” at National Medical Library on 12 August 2022.
National Medical Library’s Electronic Resources in Medicine (NML-ERMED) Consortium is the flagship electronic resources consortium by Directorate General of Health Services (DGHS) & Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare; wherein access to 228 eJournals are being provided round the clock to 71 state and centrally funded Government Institutions including all All India Institute of Medical Science (AIIMS).
The prime focus of ERMED is helping medical colleges to comply with the following-
NMC guidelines, standardize care across all clinicians, reduce variability in care, enable safe patient care, drive appropriate drug use and prescribing behavior, decrease medical errors, stop unnecessary diagnostic testing, shorten length-of-stay, lower mortality rates, exposure to the latest research, information development, scientific and technological progress.
About ERMED consortium:
- ERMED consortium expands the research output and the ranking of the member institutions in this process.
- Government of India has provided the financial support required for the access to electronic journals under the NML-ERMED consortium project.
- ERMED members have access to advanced clinical tools and resources published by the well-known publishers for benefit of faculty members and students.
DST StartUp Utsav
⇒ Union Minister of State (I/C) Science & Technology; Minister of State (I/C) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh delivered the keynote address at “DST StartUp Utsav” at Dr Ambedkar International on 12 August 2022.
Department of Science and Technology (DST) organised DST’s Startup Utsav to mark the completion of five years of National Initiative of Developing and Harnessing Innovation (NIDHI) program of DST on the occasion of 75 years of independence ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
- The Startup Utsav showcased the 75 impactful incubated startups supported under NIDHI from across the country from various sectors in 50 physical as well as 25 in digital mode in the DST Startup Expo. 5 Startups from NM-ICPS Technology Innovation Hubs were also part of 50 Stalls of Startups.
Addressing the event, the Union Minister said:
- India ranks globally 3rd in Start-Up ecosystem and also in terms of number of Unicorns.
- As per the latest data, there are currently 105 Unicorns, out of which 44 were born in 2021 and 19 in 2022.
- India has increased the Gross Expenditure on R&D (GERD) more than three times in the last few years.
- As per the latest data, India has over 5 lakh R&D personnel, the number that has shown a 40-50% increase in the last 8 years.
- In the last 8 years, women’s participation in extramural R&D has also doubled and now India occupies 3rd rank in terms of number of PhDs awarded in Science and Engineering (S&E) after the USA and China.
- India ranks third among the most attractive investment destinations for technology transactions in the world as it has a strong focus on science and technology.
- India is among the topmost countries in the world in the field of scientific research, positioned as one of the top five nations in the field for space exploration.
- India has created a massive jump in its global ranking of Global Innovation Index (GII) from 81st in the year 2015 to 46th in 2021 among 130 economies of the world.
- India ranks 2nd among 34 lower middle-income economies and 1st among 10 Central and Southern Asian economies in terms of GII.
» Dr Jitendra Singh also released 4 publications featuring promising Start-ups under various components of NIDHI including flagship program of Technology Business Incubator (TBI) and a coffee table book of 51 CAWACH funded start-ups.
“Cyber Pravah" Newsletter of the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre
⇒ The Special Secretary (Internal Security) released “Cyber Pravah” Newsletter of the Indian Cyber Crime Coordination Centre (I4C) under the Cyber and Information Security Division (CIS) of the Ministry of Home Affairs in New Delhi on 12 August 2022.
- The Quarterly Newsletter – “CyberPravah”, covers information related to the various initiatives taken by I4C, MHA and States/UTs during the 2nd quarter (from April-June,2022) of the year in order to tackle cyber crime.
- It includes cyber crime trends/patterns, statistics, facilities created by I4C, platforms for reporting and addressing cyber crimes to make all stakeholders aware and to provide assistance in the area of cyber crime prevention, detection and investigation.
- It also aims to create awareness about recent developments in the field of cyber crimes and cyber crime terminology.
- The Newsletter will help State/Central agencies working in the area of cyber security and cyber crime.
- The I4C was set up under the CIS Division in 2018, as an Agency for coordinating at the Central level and to support States/UTs by providing a common framework in their fight against cybercrimes.
- I4C is also spreading mass awareness through various social media handles in the name of ‘CyberDost’ by providing cyber safety tips at frequent intervals for the public.
World Sanskrit Day 2022
World Sanskrit Day or Sanskrit Diwas is celebrated annually on Sawan Poornima in the Hindu calendar. As per the calendar, World Sanskrit Day 2022 was celebrated on 12 August.
Sanskrit is also referred to as the mother of all languages in India. It is among the oldest languages in the world. Being one of the first spoken languages in the world, Sanskrit is of great importance in the ancient history of India. It is also called the ‘language of Gods.’ World Sanskrit Day aims at popularising and reviving this old medium of communication and promoting its use.
- World Sanskrit Day was first celebrated in 1969 when the government decided to illuminate the world about the language that is deeply rooted in the Hindu culture.
- The auspicious occasion of Raksha Bandhan was decided as the day to commemorate the language.
Kannada Singer, Shivamogga Subbanna
⇒ Renowned playback singer in Kannada and national awardee, Shivamogga Subbanna passed away in Bengaluru on 11 August 2022.
Hailing from Shivamogga, Subbanna was trained in Carnatic music. However, his passion was towards the Kannada Sugama Sangeetha (Light Music).
He was the first Kannadiga to win the national award for playback singing for his song ‘Kaadu Kudure Odi Banditta’ in the film Kaadu Kudure in 1978 directed by Jnanpith awardee Chandrasekhara Kambara.