MoU between India and Nepal
⇒ The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Nepal for construction of bridge over Mahakali River at Dharchula (India)- Dharchula (Nepal) on 06 January 2022.
As close neighbours, India and Nepal share unique ties of friendship and cooperation characterized by an open border and deep-rooted people-to-people contacts of kinship and culture.
572 km of National Highway (NH) projects
⇒ Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated and laid foundation stones for 572 km of National Highway (NH) projects at a cost of Rs.12981 crore in Kaushambi, Ayodhya and Basti in Uttar Pradesh on 06 January 2022.
Shri Gadkari inaugurated and laid the foundation Stone of the following NH Projects:
- 6 NH Projects worth Rs 2659 Crore in Kaushambi
- 6 NH Projects worth Rs 8,698 Crore in Ayodhya
- 3 NH Projects worth Rs 1,624 crore in Basti
First Indian-origin woman to trek solo to South Pole
⇒ Captain Harpreet Chandi became the first Indian-origin woman to trek solo to South Pole.
Captain Harpreet Chandi, a 32-year-old Indian-origin British Sikh Army officer and physiotherapist also known as Polar Preet, has created history by becoming the first woman of colour to complete a solo unsupported trek to the South Pole.
Chandi announced her history-making feat on her live blog on 03 January 2022 at the end of Day 40 after travelling 700 miles (1,127 kilometres).
Airtel Payments Bank has been categorised as a scheduled bank
⇒ Airtel Payments Bank has been categorised as a scheduled bank by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) in January 2022.
The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) said Airtel Payments Bank Ltd has been included in the Second Schedule to the Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934 which means it has been categorised as a Scheduled Bank.
27th Kolkata International Film Festival
⇒ The 27th Kolkata International Film Festival has been rescheduled from 25th April, 2022 to 1st May 2022.
The Kolkata Film Festival which was started in the year 1995, was the culmination of a film society movement that drew its inspiration from the masters of Bengali Cinema – Satyajit Ray, Ritwik Ghatak, Mrinal Sen.
National Science Day 2022
⇒ National Science Day (NSD) is celebrated every year on 28 February to commemorate the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ in 1928.
The purpose of celebrating this day is to enhance scientific temper, popularization of science and encourage innovative activities by infusing scientific temperament in the masses and to create a positive scientific research culture.
The theme of National Science Day (NSD) 2022 was ‘Integrated Approach in S&T for Sustainable Future’.
The theme of NSD 2022 was chosen for the purpose of raising public appreciation and awareness of various scientific issues related to sustainable future.
- Government of India designated 28 February as National Science Day (NSD) in 1986.
- On this day Sir Chandrasekhara Venkata Raman announced the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1930.
National Science Week:
National Science Week was observed from 22-28 February on the National Science Day to mark “Vigyan Sarvatra Pujyate”, a pan-India program to celebrate the essence and magnificence of our scientific achievements.
- The National Science Week on the theme ‘Vigyan Sarvatra Pujyate’, was organized as part of the ‘Amrit Mahotsav Science Showcase: Roadmap to 2047’, by various scientific Ministries/Departments.
- It was coordinated by Vigyan Prasar under the aegis of the office of the Principal Scientific Advisor, along with the Ministry of Culture.
Science Communication Awards:
Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh presented Science Communication Awards on National Science Day.
- DST instituted National Awards for Science Popularisation in 1987 to stimulate, encourage and recognize outstanding efforts in the area of science and technology communication and popularisation as well as inculcate scientific temper among masses.
- These awards are presented every year on National Science Day. The awards consist of a memento, citation, and award money.
- These awards are presented every year on National Science Day along with the SERB Women Excellence Award by the Science and Engineering Research Board (SERB), a statutory body of the Department of Science and Technology supporting basic research in frontier areas of science and engineering.
National S&T Communication Awards Winners:
- P.N. Panicker Foundation, Thiruvananthapuram won the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science and Technology Communication in general.
- Dr. Ramesh Chandra Parida of Bhubaneswar and Dr. Hirday Kumar Chopra of New Delhi won the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication through Print Media including Books and Magazines.
- Dr Mrs. Naresh Yadav of Gurugram and Mr. Vijaykumar Chandrakant Verenkar of Goa were presented the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Popularization among Children.
- Dr Vikas Mishra of Kanpur, Dr Suman Mor of Punjab University and Dr Santosh Kumar Singh of BHU, and the National Association for Voluntary Initiative & Co-operation, Varanasi, bagged the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication through Innovative and Traditional Methods.
- Mr. Jalal Uddin Baba of Kashmir and Prof. Rajinder Kumar Dhamija of New Delhi bagged the National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication in the Electronic Medium.
AWSAR (Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research) Awards Winners:
- Dr Pragyan Parimita Rath, New Delhi (award for Outstanding Story -post-doctoral fellows category)
- Mr Ajay Chandrakant Lagashetti of Pune (first Prize for the Ph.D. category), Mr. Anoop Singh of New Delhi (second prize for the Ph.D. category), and Ms. Deeksha Pandey of New Delhi (third prize for the Ph.D. category).