Satish Dhawan Centre for Space Sciences, Jammu
⇒ Dr Jitendra Singh, Minister of State for Space inaugurated the Satish Dhawan Space Science Centre on March 12, 2022.
ISRO, Department of Space and Central University of Jammu (CUJ) has jointly established a space science centre for carrying out research in space science and technology in the Central University campus, Jammu.
The Centre is named after the renowned Space Scientist, teacher and former Chairman, ISRO, Prof Satish Dhawan, who hailed from Jammu & Kashmir.
The Centre houses different labs/ facilities related to geospatial data analysis, materials, astrophysics, natural disasters and avionics.
Swadesh Darshan Awards
⇒ The Ministry of Tourism has constituted Swadesh Darshan Awards in different categories.
- The award has constituted to acknowledge the efforts undertaken by the State Governments, Union Territory Administrations and various implementation agencies.
- The awards will highlight best practices including achievement of planned objectives, innovative approach, adoption of sustainability principals in planning, design and operations, efficient project monitoring, ability to attract private investments in peripheral development and efforts undertaken to ensure optimal operations and maintenance etc.
To begin with, the Ministry of Tourism has decided to invite entries under the following categories:
- Best Tourist Interpretation Centre
- Best Log Hut Facility
- Best MICE Facility
- Best Cafeteria
- Best Craft Haat/ Souvenir Shop facility
- Best Sound and Light Show
- Best Waterfront Development (Beach/ River/ Lake etc.)
» The Ministry of Tourism under its flagship scheme of ‘Swadesh Darshan’ has sanctioned 76 projects in 31 States / Union Territories of India for more than Rs.5500 Crore.
- As part of this scheme, tourism related infrastructure has been developed at more than 500 tourist destinations.
Extended-range land attack Brahmos supersonic cruise missile
⇒ The Indian Navy successfully demonstrated the accuracy of an extended-range land attack Brahmos supersonic cruise missile from the stealth destroyer INS Chennai, on 5th March, 2022.
Both Brahmos missile and INS Chennai are indigenously built and highlight the cutting-edge of Indian missile and ship-building prowess.
Special Jury Award to NMCG
⇒ The National Mission for Clean Ganga was awarded the ‘Special Jury Award’ at the 7th India Industry Water Conclave and 9th edition of FICCI Water Awards, held virtually, from 2nd to 3rd March, 2022.
The Jury “recognizes the extremely important work NMCG is engaged in, to bring about a paradigm shift in water management, even as they endeavour to revive river Ganga”.
India signs Host Country Agreement with the ITU
⇒ Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, Union Minister of Communications and Mr Houlin Zhao, Secretary General of International Telecommunication Union (ITU) signed the Host Country Agreement (HCA) for the establishment of an Area Office & Innovation Centre of ITU in New Delhi on 3rd March 2022.
About Area Office and Innovation Centre:
- The Area Office and Innovation Centre of ITU at New Delhi is expected to serve South Asian countries namely Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Iran, Maldives, Nepal, Sri Lanka and India.
- The Host Country Agreement provides the legal and financial framework for establishment and operations of the Area Office.
- The Area Office shall also have an Innovation Centre, which is expected to give impetus to research and development in telecommunication technologies in South Asia.
- The Innovation Centre will provide opportunities to academics, start-ups and SMEs to showcase their innovation at a global stage.
- The Area Office and the Innovation Centre is expected to be operational by mid-2022.
Signing the Agreement:
» The agreement was signed at the World Telecommunications Standardisation Assembly-20 (WTSA-20) held in Geneva, Switzerland.
- WTSA is a four-yearly global conference of ITU dedicated to standardisation of the Information and Communications Technologies (ICTs).
- India has proposed to host the next WTSA to be held in 2024.
- International Telecommunication Union is the United Nations specialised agency for information and communication technologies – ICTs. Currently, the ITU has 193 member countries.
172nd Foundation Day of GSI
⇒ Geological Survey of India (GSI), the premier Geological organization of India, celebrated its 172nd Foundation Day on 04 March 2022.
- The Geological Survey of India (GSI) was set up in 1851 primarily to find coal deposits for the Railways.
- Over the years, GSI has not only grown into a repository of geo-science information required in various fields in the country but has also attained the status of a geo-scientific organisation of international repute.
- Its main functions relate to creating and updating of national geoscientific information and mineral resource assessment.
- The Geological Survey of India is a Government of India organization under the Ministry of Mines.
Former Indian Army chief General Sunith Francis Rodrigues
⇒ Former Indian Army chief General Sunith Francis Rodrigues passed away on 04 March 2022. He was 88.
General S F Rodrigues served as the Chief of Army Staff between 1990-93. He also served two terms on the National Security Advisory Board and was Governor of Punjab between 2004 to 2010.