- On the occasion of National Philately Day, Goa Postal Division released a Philatelic Passport on “Festivals of Goa-Series I” and Permanent Pictorial Cancellation on “Philatelic Bureau, Panaji HO” in the hands of Chief Guest, Dr. Carlos M Fernandes, Curator, Goa State Central Library Panaji on 13th October 2020. This was the first Philatelic Passport released in Goa Postal Division.
Philatelic Passport a unique collectable item in which the name of different countries / locations / cities is provided along with pictures and local information on each separate page.
- Union Minister of State for Home, Shri G Kishan Reddy digitally inaugurated the 21st All India Conference of Directors, Fingerprint Bureau 2020. On this occasion he also inaugurated the eCyber Lab set up by the National Crime Records Bureau.
Shri Reddy said that a fingerprint is an essential tool because of its uniqueness, permanency, individuality and ease in acquisition. He also said, the fully computerized National Automated Fingerprint Identification System (NAFIS) would soon become functional and benefit police forces.
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi released commemorative coins of Rs 75 denomination to mark the 75th anniversary of Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) on 16th October, 2020.
The Prime Minister dedicated the 17 recently developed biofortified varieties of 8 crops to the nation.
- Tamil Nadu Governor Banwarilal Purohit released a book titled “National Education Policy 2020″ at the Raj Bhavan on 16th October 2020. This book is written by former Anna University Vice-Chancellor Prof Dr E Balagurusamy.
The book discusses the challenges faced by the current education system in the country. This book also aims to highlight the important recommendations of the NEP 2020 & their implications.
- The fifth meeting of the India-Mexico Bilateral High Level Group on Trade, Investment and Cooperation was held on 09th October, 2020.
The meeting was co-chaired by the Commerce Secretary of the Government of India, Dr Anup Wadhawan and the Vice Minister for Foreign Trade of the Government of Mexico, Ms Luz María de la Mora.
In the meeting, A Memorandum of Understanding between the Electronics & Computer Software Export Promotion Council of India and the Mexican Chamber of Electronics, Telecommunications and Information Technologies was signed. A Memorandum of Understanding between the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry and the Mexican Business Council of Foreign Trade, Investment and Technology for promoting the development of business relations between India and Mexico was also signed.
- Yakshagana artist and freedom fighter Hiriyadka Gopal Rao died in Ontibetti near Hiriyadka in Udupi on 17th October, 2020. He was 100.
He was popularly known as “Maddale Mantrika”, a maestro in playing the maddale, a percussion instrument.
- The head of the Malankara Mar Thoma Church, Joseph Mar Thoma died in Thiruvalla, Kerala on 18th October, 2020. He was 89. His official name was PT Joseph.
- 350th Jayanti of Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji celebrated on 16th October, 2020. The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi has paid tributes to the brave Baba Banda Singh Bahadur Ji.