First woman speaker of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly
⇒ Senior BJP MLA Nimaben Acharya became the first woman speaker of the Gujarat Legislative Assembly. She holds the position since 27 September 2021.
Export Champion Award 2020-21
⇒ Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y.S. Jagan Mohan Reddy presented the Export Champion Award 2020-21 to Brandix India Apparel City on 24 September 2021.
The company received the award at the Vanijya Utsav-2021, in recognition of their valuable contribution towards exports in India.
Best Performing Flying Club for the year 2021
⇒ The Telangana State Aviation Academy has bagged the Aero Club of India’s Rolling Trophy for the Best Performing Flying Club for the year 2021.
The Juhu-based Bombay Flying Club got the second prize and the third prize went to the Government Aviation Training Institute in Odisha.
The Aero Club of India’s Rolling Trophy was constituted in 2003.
Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award 2021
⇒ The Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) announced the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Award 2021 for Science & Technology, during its 80th Foundation Day.
This award has been given to 11 scientists from across the country for their significant contributions to science and technology.
India-US Bilateral Meeting
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visited USA from 22-25 September, 2021 at the invitation of His Excellency President Joe Biden of the United States of America.
During the visit, Prime Minister Modi reviewed the India-US Comprehensive Global Strategic Partnership with President Biden and exchanged views on regional and global issues of mutual interest.
Meeting with Vice President Kamala Harris:
Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi met Her Excellency Kamala Harris, Vice President of the United States of America, in Washington DC on 23 September 2021, during his visit to the USA.
- The two leaders discussed the COVID-19 situation in their respective countries.
- They also discussed areas of future collaboration, including space cooperation, Information Technology, especially emerging and critical technologies, as well as the cooperation in healthcare sector.
Meeting with the President of the USA:
The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi met with His Excellency Joseph Biden, President of the United States of America, on 24 September 2021.
- The leaders reviewed the India-US Comprehensive Global Strategic Partnership and potential for strengthening bilateral cooperation further.
- Both leaders agreed that the next Trade Policy Forum would be convened later this year to identify measures which would boost commercial linkages.
- Under the India-US Climate and Clean Energy Agenda 2030 Partnership, they agreed to accelerate clean energy development and deployment of critical technologies.
- India and the USA also agreed to continue working together in international organisations, given their convergence of strategic perspectives and shared interests on global issues such as climate change and terrorism.
Key points of ‘US-India Joint Leaders’ Statement: A Partnership for Global Good’
» The Leaders resolved that the Taliban must abide by UNSC Resolution 2593 (2021).
- Resolution demands that Afghan territory must never again be used to threaten or attack any country or to shelter or train terrorists, or to plan or finance terrorist attacks.
» The Leaders called for an end of the use of violence, for release of all political detainees, and for a swift return to democracy in Myanmar. They further called for the urgent implementation of the ASEAN Five Point Consensus.
» The Leaders looked forward:
- To the inaugural meeting of the Industrial Security Agreement summit to facilitate high-end defense industrial collaboration.
- To the launch of the U.S.-India Gandhi-King Development Foundation to advance cooperation on health, education, and the environment.
- To reconvening the India-US Trade Policy Forum before the end of 2021, to enhance the bilateral trade relationship by addressing trade concerns, identifying specific areas for increased engagement and developing an ambitious, shared vision for the future of the trade relationship.
- To convening the US-India CEO Forum and the Commercial Dialogue in early 2022, leveraging the talents of the private sector.
- To reviving the High Technology Cooperation Group (HTCG) in early 2022, with the objective of accelerating high technology commerce in key areas.
» The Leaders decided that the United States and India must continue and expand their partnership in new domains and many areas of critical and emerging technology – space, cyber, health security, semiconductors, AI, 5G, 6G and future generation telecommunications technology, and Blockchain, that will define innovation processes, and the economic and security landscape of the next century.
- They looked forward to the finalization of a Space Situational Awareness Memorandum of Understanding that will help in sharing of data and services towards ensuring the long-term sustainability of outer space activities by the end of the year.
» The United States and India resolved to further strengthen their collaboration in education, science and technology and people-to-people engagement.
2021 Russian Grand Prix Formula 1 Race
⇒ The 2021 Russian Grand Prix Formula 1 Race took place on 26 September 2021 over 53 laps of the 5.848-kilometre Sochi Autodrom.
Mercedes Driver, Lewis Hamilton won 2021 Russian Grand Prix (Formula 1 VTB Russian Grand Prix 2021).
Lewis Hamilton became the first Formula One driver to win 100 races with victory in the Russian Grand Prix.
Eminent women’s rights activist, Kamla Bhasin
⇒ Eminent women’s rights activist, poet and author Kamla Bhasin passed away on 25 September 2021. She was 75.
Bhasin has been a prominent voice in the women’s movement in India and other South Asian countries.