National Security Strategies (NSS) Conference 2022
⇒ It has been the vision of Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi to ensure a safe and secure nation by strengthening all aspects of national security mechanism.
In pursuance of this vision, the Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah inaugurated two-day National Security Strategies (NSS) Conference 2022, on 17 August 2022 in New Delhi.
- The Conference was attended by 600 officers from across the country, physically and virtually.
- The NSS Conference brought a unique mix of top leadership addressing national security challenges alongside cutting edge Police officers/Security practitioners and experts from specialized fields.
- On the first day of the Conference, deliberations were held on various subjects of national security, including counter-terrorism, radicalisation, issues pertaining to crypto currencies, counter rogue drone technology and challenges posed by Maoist outfits.
» The Union Home Minister emphasized upon the importance of human intelligence towards countering terrorism, underscoring the crucial role of District Level Police officers in identifying emerging terror hotspots.
» Shri Amit Shah also inaugurated the National Automated Fingerprint Identification System (NAFIS), developed by NCRB.
- This System will help in quick and easy disposal of cases with the help of centralized finger print database.
Managing Director and Chief Executive of NSE
⇒ Leading bourse National Stock Exchange (NSE) on 14 august 2022 said that shareholders have approved the appointment of Ashishkumar Chauhan as its managing director and chief executive.
- The Extra Ordinary General Meeting (EOGM) of NSE was held on August 11, 2022.
Shareholders approved the appointment of Chauhan, who was the MD and CEO of rival bourse BSE, with 99.99 per cent votes.
He assumed charge as NSE chief on July 26. His appointment at the top post of the NSE was cleared by the capital markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) on July 18. He took over the helm of NSE from Vikram Limaye, whose five-year term ended on July 16.
Uttar Pradesh to set up Ecotourism Development Board
⇒ The UP cabinet on 16 August 2022 gave its approval for setting up an eco-tourism development board, with headquarters in Lucknow, for the development and management of infrastructure facilities in forests and in outer areas of wildlife sanctuaries.
- Chief minister Yogi Adityanath presided over the meeting of the state cabinet that approved the setting up of the board.
Eco-tourism infrastructure would be developed on public private partnership model and guides for jungle safaris would be trained with the help of forest department.
Structure of the board:
- The structure of the board would include an executive committee besides the eco-tourism board being set up to attract international tourists to Uttar Pradesh.
- The CM would be the chairman of the board that would have ex-officio and special invitees as members.
- Ministers for agriculture, forests, ayush, finance, tourism, irrigation, rural development, chairman of UP Forest Corporation, chief secretary, chief wildlife warden and head of forest department would also be its members.
- Additional chief secretary/principal secretary and secretary (tourism) would be secretary of the board while the ACS/principal secretary/secretary environment, forest and climate change would work as the board’s coordinators.
» Uttar Pradesh has a national park, 26 wildlife sanctuaries and 12 bird sanctuaries.
Ballari’s Mincheri Hill sees national flag flying for the first time after Independence
⇒ Mincheri Hill near Ballari, Karnataka wore a festive look on 14 August 2022 as it saw the tricolour flying over it for the first time after Independence.
- Transport Minister and Ballari In-charge B Sriramulu, who climbed up the hill waving the national flag along with thousands of people, especially students, hoisted the flag atop the hill.
» Mincheri Hill is one of the important landmarks of Ballari. The hill is covered in green throughout the year.
India handed over a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft to the Sri Lanka Navy
⇒ India handed over a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft to Sri Lanka Navy on 15 August 2022 at a ceremony.
- Sri Lankan President Ranil Wickremesinghe was present at the handover ceremony which took place on a day when India celebrated its 76th Independence Day.
- The security of India and Sri Lanka is enhanced by mutual understanding, mutual trust and cooperation, as India gifted a Dornier aircraft to the Sri Lanka Navy to enhance its maritime surveillance capabilities and bolster the bilateral defence ties.
- The aircraft was provided to Sri Lanka from the inventory of the Indian Navy to help the country meet its immediate security requirement. The Indian Navy has already provided extensive training to a team from Sri Lanka’s Navy and the Air Force to operate the maritime surveillance aircraft.
- India will provide to Sri Lanka two Dornier aircraft which are being manufactured by state-run aerospace major Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL).
World Organ Donation Day 2022
⇒ World Organ Donation Day is observed every year on August 13 across the globe.
The aim of this day is to motivate normal human beings to pledge to donate organs after death, and to spread awareness about the importance of organ donation.
- In India, National Organ Donation Day is observed on November 27 from 2010.
The theme for World Organ Donation Day 2022 was “let’s pledge to donate organs and save lives”.
- The first-ever successful living donor organ transplant was carried out in 1954 in the United States when Ronald Lee Herrick donated a kidney to his identical twin brother, Richard Lee Herrick.
- Doctor Joseph Murray won the Nobel Prize in Physiology and Medicine in 1990 for successfully carrying out this kidney transplant.