National Strategy for Sustainable Tourism and Responsible Traveller Campaign
⇒ Ministry of Tourism, in partnership with United Environment Program (UNEP) and Responsible Tourism Society of India (RTSOI) organized One Day National Summit on Developing Sustainable & Responsible Tourist Destinations on 04 June 2022 in New Delhi.
- On the occasion, the Ministry of Tourism launched the National Strategy for Sustainable Tourism and Responsible Traveller Campaign.
The Strategy document has identified the strategic pillars for development of sustainable tourism like:
Promoting Environmental Sustainability, Protecting Biodiversity, Promoting Economic Sustainability, Promoting Socio-Cultural Sustainability, Scheme for Certification of Sustainable Tourism, IEC and Capacity Building and Governance
Shri Arvind Singh, Secretary, Ministry of Tourism, Mr Shombi Sharp, Head of UN in India and Shri Rakesh Mathur, President, RTSOI, various eminent Speakers working in the field of Sustainable Tourism & Responsible Travel and from State Governments addressed the different sessions.
- The Summit was attended by senior officers of different Central Ministries, State Governments/UT Administrations and various Tourism & Hospitality Industry Associations.
Speaking on the occasion Secretary Tourism Shri Arvind Singh said that Tourism and Environment share a Special Relationship.
- Ministry of Tourism with the objective to provide experience to the tourists launched Swadesh Darshan Scheme and has till now sanctioned 76 Projects.
- With the learnings of this scheme, Ministry of Tourism have now revamped the Swadesh Darshan Scheme as Swadesh Darshan 2.0.
- The idea of Swadesh Darshan 2.0 is to undertake holistic development with the vision to develop Sustainable and Responsible Tourist Destinations.
- While formulating the guidelines for SD 2.0 Ministry of Tourism have kept various elements in mind in order to undertake destination development in a sustainable and responsible manner.
- Through the Swadesh Darshan 2.0 sustainable and responsible tourism practices will be implemented in various projects and initiatives.
- The Scheme will encourage adoption of principles of sustainable tourism including environmental, socio-cultural and economic sustainability.
Inauguration of Sant Kabir Academy and Research Centre
⇒ The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind paid tributes to Sant Kabir and inaugurated Sant Kabir Academy and Research Centre and Swadesh Darshan Yojana on June 5, 2022 at Kabir Chaura Dham, Maghar, Uttar Pradesh.
- The foundation stone of Sant Kabir Academy and Research Centre was laid by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi four years ago.
About Swadesh Darshan Scheme:
- Swadesh Darshan Scheme is a Central Sector scheme launched in 2014-15 by the Ministry of Tourism and Culture, Government of India for the integrated development of theme-based tourist circuits.
- The scheme aims to promote, develop and harness the potential of tourism in India.
- Under the Swadesh Darshan scheme, the Ministry of Tourism provides Central Financial Assistance – CFA to State Governments, Union Territory Administrations for the infrastructure development of circuits.
Puneet Sagar Abhiyan
⇒ NCC launched the latest phase of its nationwide flagship campaign ‘Puneet Sagar Abhiyan’ on 30 May 2022 and continued till 5th June 2022, the World Environment Day.
Puneet Sagar Abhiyan was launched by NCC to clean Sea Shores/Beaches and other water bodies including rivers & lakes, of plastic & other waste and increase awareness amongst the local population about importance of keeping the beaches and river fronts clean.
- The purpose of the Abhiyan is to educate locals and sensitise them about ‘Swachh Bharat’.
UIC International Sustainable Railway Awards 2022
⇒ In a gala ceremony, on 1st June 2022, in Berlin, Indian Railways have been awarded by the UIC International Sustainable Railway Awards 2022 in the category of “Best use of Zero-Carbon Technology”.
- Indian Railways have been awarded for feeding Solar Energy directly to 25 KV AC Traction System.
Other Important Award Winner:
Dutch Railways (NS) took the Overall Winner award, which was chosen by the jury from all category winners.
- The NS project ‘99% circular train modernisation and on track for 100% circular trains in Europe’ modernised their fleet by reusing the materials of their own decommissioned trains.
- The UIC International Sustainable Railway Awards (ISRA) promote and celebrate innovation in mobility that delivers social (‘people’), environmental (‘planet’) and economic (‘prosperity’) sustainability.
- The awards showcase transformative work from stations to trains, from economic resilience to emergency pandemic response, from social outreach to supporting the local environment.
- The UIC International Sustainability Railway Awards is given in People, Planet, Prosperity and General category, each devoted to a different aspect of sustainability.
World Environment Day 2022
⇒ World Environment Day is celebrated every year on 5 June. World Environment Day 2022 hosted by Sweden.
“Only One Earth” was the campaign slogan, with the focus on “Living Sustainably in Harmony with Nature”.
- “Only One Earth” was the slogan for the first United Nations Conference on the Human Environment, held in Stockholm in 1972. This put sustainable development on the global agenda and led to the establishment of World Environment Day.
- Fifty years later, Sweden hosted Stockholm+50 from 2 to 3 June, and World Environment Day on 5 June.
The United Nations designated World Environment Day to highlight that the protection and health of the environment is a major issue, which affects the well-being of peoples and economic development throughout the world.
- The year 1972 marked a turning point in the development of international environmental politics, with the first major conference on environmental issues, known as the Conference on the Human Environment, or the Stockholm Conference.
- Later that year, on 15 December, the General Assembly adopted a resolution (A/RES/2994 (XXVII)) designating June 5 as World Environment Day.
- Led by the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and held annually on 5 June since 1973.