NSEFI's Pan-India Rooftop Solar Awareness Campaign
⇒ Shri Bhagwant Khuba, Minister of State for New and Renewable Energy launched the Pan-India Rooftop Solar Awareness Campaign of National Solar Energy Federation of India (NSEFI) in an event at Bidar, Karnataka on 04 June 2022.
NSEFI, with the support of the German Solar Association (BSW) and the German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) under the Sequa KVP Programme, is launching a 3 year long, Pan India Rooftop Awareness Program.
The Pan India Rooftop Awareness Program is aimed at increasing awareness of Solar Rooftops among 100 Indian towns and cities, especially tier 2 and tier 3 towns/cities.
During the launch ceremony, Shri Khuba said:
- Rooftop Solar provides an opportunity to the common person to make his contribution towards Global Warming & Climate Change.
- This campaign titled “GHAR KE UPAR SOLAR IS SUPER” shall aim at mobilizing local government, citizens, RWAs, and Municipalities to spread awareness of Solar Rooftop.
- Rooftop solar will play major role and Tier-2 & Tier-3 cities offer maximum potential in achieving this target.
- Karnataka alone has the potential of 1 GW rooftop solar.
- In this scheme farmers will be given 30% subsidy each by centre and state to install solar pumps.
Ganga Quest 2022
⇒ On the occasion of World Environment Day, the Grand Finale of the Ganga Quest 2022, the online quiz, was organized by National Mission for Clean Ganga (NMCG), on 5 June 2022.
- The online quiz kick-started on World Health Day, April 7th and ended on May 29th, 2022.
Within India, 683 districts took part in the 4th Edition of the annual Ganga Quest. In the Ganga Quest 2022, amongst States, Jharkhand showed the highest participation, followed by Delhi and Uttar Pradesh.
Ganga Quest 2022 aimed at enhancing knowledge and sensitizing the children and youth towards river Ganga; its characteristics – physical geography, historical and cultural significance, flora and fauna; its governance–current affairs and prior efforts; famous places & personalities; socio-economic and livelihood; pollution and water treatment technology.
The Ganga Quest 2022 was hosted on CLAP 4 Ganga, the Continuous Learning & Activity Portal, an initiative by Namami Gange.
"Clean and Green” campaign
⇒ Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs (MoHUA) launched “Clean and Green” campaign on World Environment Day i.e. 5 June.
Given the dual mandate of World Environment Day and India’s committed ban of single use plastic (SUP) by 30th June 2022, Ministry of Housing & Urban Affairs issued a detailed advisory to States and UTs to take up a range of activities to fulfil these mandates.
These included large scale cleaning and plogging drives, with special emphasis on plastic waste collection, as well as large scale tree plantation drives, with participation of all citizens – students, voluntary organisations, self-help groups, local NGOs/CSOs, NSS and NCC cadets, RWAs, market associations, corporate entities, etc.
'Save Soil' Programme
⇒ On the occasion of World Environment Day, Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi attended a programme on ‘Save Soil Movement’ at Vigyan Bhawan on 5th June 2022.
- ‘Save Soil’ Programme was organised by Isha Foundation.
The Prime Minister addressed the ‘Save Soil’ Programme. The Prime Minister informed that to save the soil, we have focused on five main things.
- How to make the soil chemical free.
- How to save the organisms that live in the soil, which are called Soil Organic Matter in technical language.
- How to maintain soil moisture, how to increase the availability of water till it.
- How to remove the damage that is happening to the soil due to less groundwater.
- How to stop the continuous erosion of soil due to the reduction of forests.
» The Prime Minister’s participation in the program reflects shared concerns and commitment towards improving the health of soil in India.
- ‘Save Soil Movement’ is a global movement to increase awareness about deteriorating soil health and bring about a conscious response to improve it.
- The movement was started by Sadhguru in March 2022, who embarked on a 100-day motorcycle journey passing through 27 countries.
- 5th June marks the 75th day of the 100-day journey.
'Leaders in Climate Change Management' (LCCM) Program
⇒ The Union Minister for Housing and Urban Affairs Shri Hardeep Singh Puri, launched the Leaders in Climate Change Management (LCCM) Program on 06 June 2022 to help urban professionals champion climate action in India.
It aims at building capacity among urban professionals to lead climate action across sectors and geographies in India.
Rotary International World Convention 2022
⇒ The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the Rotary International World Convention 2022 via a video message on 05 June 2022.
- Calling the Rotarians a ‘true mix of success and service’, the Prime Minister said that “every Rotary gathering of this scale is like a mini-global assembly. There is diversity and vibrancy.”
» The 2022 convention was held in Houston, Texas, USA, from 4 June to 8 June, 2022.
» Rotary is a global network of 1.4 million neighbors, friends, leaders, and problem-solvers who see a world where people unite and take action to create lasting change – across the globe, in our communities, and in ourselves.
» Two Mottos of Rotary are:
- ‘Service Above Self’
- ‘One Profits Most Who Serves Best’
» Paul Harris convened the first Rotary convention on 15 August 1910.