- The Central Vigilance Commission is observing the ‘Vigilance Awareness Week, 2020’ from 27th October to 2nd November, 2020. This year theme of the Vigilance Awareness Week is, “सतर्क भारत, समृद्ध भारत – Satark Bharat, Samriddh Bharat (Vigilant India, Prosperous India)”. This is observed every year during the week in which the birthday of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel (31st October) falls.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the first-ever Seaplane service in Gujarat on the birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhai Patel i.e. October 31. Every year October 31 is celebrated as ‘Rashtriya Ekta Diwas’.
The first flight will take off from Sabarmati Riverfront in Ahmedabad to the Statue of Unity in Kevadia Colony in the Narmada district. The seaplane with a capacity of 12 passengers will be managed by the private airline SpiceJet.
- Five books were released by Minister for Tourism C.T. Ravi and the District-in-charge Minister S.T. Somashekar on 26th October 2020. These books were published by the Department of Archaeology, Museums and Heritage and on the history and culture of the Karnataka State.
These books are: Archaeological Excavation at Talakad Vol. 2, Buddhist Art and Culture in Karnataka, Hampi the Splendour That Was, Mysuru Dasara the State Festival and Karnataka, a Garden of Architecture
- The US Senate has confirmed Judge Amy Coney Barrett to the Supreme Court. She was sworn in as the 115th Supreme Court justice on 26th October 2020, evening.
Business & Technology:
- On 26th October 2020, facebook announced that it is launching a cloud gaming service in the Facebook app and on browser. It will launch the games on its social media platform.
Users will be able to play heavy games on Facebook instantly without downloading, such as Asphalt 9, WWE SuperCard games.
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Guwahati, have developed a low-cost membrane technology to produce psychoactive drugs and anti-ageing compounds.
It has been developed from wide range of agricultural resources like citrus fruits and peels especially orange peels, berries, parsley, pulses, tea, sea buckthorn and onions.
The technology has been developed by Mihir Kumar Purkait, Head, Centre for the Environment and Professor, Department of Chemical Engineering, IIT Guwahati along with his M Tech student V L Dhadge.
- Veteran Gujarati film star Naresh Kanodia died in Ahmedabad on 27th October 2020. He was 77.
- The Pilikula Biological Park 21 year old tiger Vikram died on 26th October 2020 due to age related issues. The tiger Vikram was the star attraction of Pilikula Biological Park.