- On 20th October, 2020, Minister of State for Shipping (I/C) Shri Mansukh Mandaviya e-launched the development of Indigenous Software solution for Vessel traffic services (VTS) and Vessels Traffic Monitoring Systems (VTMS) in New Delhi. Ministry of Shipping has sanctioned an amount of Rs 10 Crore to IIT, Chennai for development of indigenous VTS software.
VTS/ VTMS is a software for determining vessel positions, position of other traffic or meteorological hazard warnings and extensively manages the traffic within a port or waterway.
- The Telangana government has launched Dharani portal on October 29, 2020. The state’s biggest e-governance portal will provide a one-stop solution to the ownership records of all properties, including land registration and further transfer of rights on sale or inheritance.
- A National Symposium & Exhibition on “MEMORIES OF 22 OCTOBER 1947” was organised by the National Museum Institute of History of Art, Conservation & Museology (NMI), at SKICC, Srinagar, Kashmir.
The National Symposium, a two-day event, was held on 22 & 23 Oct 2020. The Exhibition held on 22 Oct 2020.
22 October 1947 has marked Indian history with evidences of betrayal and a legacy of valour. The event is significant as it was on 22 October, 1947 that Pakistan made an attempt to invade Kashmir in the guise of Operation Gulmarg.
- The Appointments Committee of the Union Cabinet approved the appointment of ‘Prof Chandrabhas Narayana’ as the Director of the Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology, for a period of five years. He is currently Dean, (Research and Development) at Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research, Bengaluru.
‘Rajiv Gandhi Centre for Biotechnology’ is the countrys leading molecular biology and biotech research and development institute.
- The writer-filmmaker Tahira Kashyap Khurrana new book, ‘The 12 Commandments for Being A Woman’ published by Juggernaut.
- India would launch its latest earth observation satellite EOS-01 and nine international customer spacecraft onboard its Polar rocket PSLV-C49 from the spaceport of Sriharikota in Andhra Pradesh on November 7, ISRO said on Wednesday, October 28, 2020. EOS-01 is intended for applications in agriculture, forestry and disaster management support. This will be the 51st mission of ISRO’s Workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle.
- The US will open an embassy in Maldives, Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced on 28th October 2020. US embassy services for Maldives is currently available from the US embassy in Colombo, Sri Lanka.
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare virtually addressed the World Bank- IMF annual meeting, which was held on 21st October 2020. The theme of the meeting was “Unleashing the South Asian Century through Human Capital for All”and “Investing in Covid-19 Vaccines and Primary Healthcare Delivery System”.
- Harley-Davidson unveiled a new electric bike that will go on sale in March 2021 & the motorcycle manufacturer is also spinning out its e-bike division as a separate company called Serial 1 Cycle.
- India’s Australia tour is confirmed, India will kick off their tour to Australia with a three-match ODI series starting on Friday, 27 November, followed by as many T20Is and four Tests.
While the ODIs will be a part of the ICC Men’s Cricket World Cup Super League, the Tests will count towards ICC World Test Championship points.