“Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization” conference
⇒ The Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA) under the Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, organised “Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization” event from 18-20 April, 2022 in Surat, Gujarat.
» The 3-day “Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization” conference highlighted some of the important initiatives being implemented in 100 Smart Cities across the country.
Day 2 of the “Smart Cities, Smart Urbanization” event saw engaging sessions.
- The sessions were held concurrently on the five thematic areas of urban sector, vis- Reimagining Public Spaces, Digital Governance, ClimateSmart Cities, Innovation and Smart Finance.
Important launches during the Conference:
Several key initiatives were launched during the event vis release of Urban Outcomes Framework 2022 including, ‘Ease of Living’, ‘Municipal Performance Index’, ‘Data Maturity Assessment Framework 3.0 and ClimateSmart Cities Assessment Framework 3.0.
» Ministry’s integrated data portal AMPLIFI (Assessment and Monitoring Platform for Liveable, Inclusive and Future-ready urban India), which will provide valuable data about Indian cities, was also launched.
» Further, Smart Cities Mission also launched a comprehensive dashboard with Outcome Output Management Framework (OOMF) dashboard in GMIS during the event.
» Inauguration of ‘Amaro Padosh’:
The Smart Cities Mission and Surat Municipal Corporation created a temporary, life-size neighbourhood of 30,000 square feet at SIECC venue with public amenities like park, anganwadi, public health center, municipal school etc.
- The objective is to provide a ‘learning by experiencing’ opportunity to attendees participating in the event.
» Launch of a ‘virtual hub for collaborations on urban transformation’:
The Smart Cities Mission and World Economic Forum have joined hands to setup a ‘virtual hub for collaboration on urban transformations’. The hub will leverage emerging technologies and innovations to transform Indian cities into centres of sustainable, inclusive and resilient growth.
» Digital Governance Pavilion:
‘Digital Duniya’ pavilion was inaugurated at the Smart Cities Smart Urbanization Conference to highlight initiatives that empower communities through data and digital technology.
» Innovation Bazaar Pavilion – Defining and solving societal issues
» Climate Smart Cities Pavilion – To build climate actions in cities
» Smart Finance Pavilion– Cities as Drivers of the Nation’s Wealth
During the event, the award winners of the India Smart Cities Awards Contest (ISAC) 2020 were felicitated.
Winners were also announced for ‘Urban Geospatial Data Stories Challenge 2022’, Open Data Week, and Placemaking Marathon 1.0 and 2.0, events that were held as part of ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’.
About Smart Cities Mission:
- Smart Cities Mission was launched by Shri Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of India on 25th June, 2015.
- It has been a part of a visionary agenda for urban rejuvenation and has been designed as part of a multi-layer strategy to meet the aspirations of 40% of India’s population living in cities.
Paris Book Festival 2022
⇒ Paris Book Festival 2022 was organized from 21st to 24th April, 2022 at the Grand Palais Ephémère, Paris, France.
- India was designated as the Guest of Honour Country at the Paris Book Festival 2022.
The Paris Book Festival was inaugurated on 21st April 2022 & India Pavilion at the Paris Book Festival was inaugurated on same day.
The India Pavilion was designed by National Institute of Design (NID), housed more than 15 digital and physical exhibitions displaying over 400 books published in various Indian languages representing the works of 65 Indian publishers.
It was announced under the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi and President Emmanuel Macron Joint Statement released in 2018 during the French President’s visit to New Delhi.
FATF Ministerial Meeting in Washington D.C.
⇒ Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman attended the FATF Ministerial Meeting in Washington D.C. on 21st April 2022, conducted along-side the 2022 Spring Meetings of the World Bank Group and the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
This meeting focused on Ministers’ providing strategic direction, by endorsing the FATF’s strategic priorities for the years 2022-24 and reinforcing Ministers’ commitment to ensure suitable funding for the delivery of the strategic priorities.
- The strategic priorities include Strengthening the FATF Global Network, FATF systems of Mutual Evaluations, Enhancing International Beneficial Ownership Transparency, Increasing Capabilities to more effectively recover Criminal assets, Leveraging Digital Transformation, Ensuring Sustainable Funding for FATF Strategic priorities.
3rd Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh Memorial Hockey Tournament
⇒ The 3rd Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh Memorial Hockey tournament was held from 18 to 23 April 2022 at No.3 Base Repair Depot (BRD), Chandigarh.
- Air Force Sports Control Board (AFSCB) has been organizing the tournament since 2018.
12 reputed teams from India and abroad including Air Force Hockey teams of Royal Canadian, Malaysian, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka Air Forces was invited to participate in the 3rd edition of this prestigious tournament.
Indian Army XI recorded a fine 7-6 win over Air Force XI to win the 3rd Marshal Arjan Singh Memorial Hockey Tournament.
- Both teams were tied at 2-2 in regular time and Indian Army XI clinched the game in extra time.
- Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh’s passion for the game of hockey was unparalleled.
- The centenary year of birth of Marshal of the Air Force was commemorated by the successful conduct of the 2nd Marshal of the Air Force Arjan Singh Memorial Hockey Tournament in 2019 with participation of Air Force Hockey teams from Bangladesh & Sri Lanka. This elevated the tournament to an international event. Integrated Coach Factory (Chennai) was the winner of that edition.
- Marshal’s birth anniversary is celebrated on 15 April.