The National Achievement Survey 2021, was successfully conducted across all 36 states and UTs of the country.
- The National Council of Educational Research and Training (NCERT) has developed the Assessment Framework for gauging the competencies attained by the students vis-a-vis learning outcomes.
- NAS is undertaken by the Ministry of Education.
About National Achievement Survey 2021:
- NAS 2021 is the first achievement survey after release of National Education Policy 2020.
- NAS 2021 will infuse the competency-based assessment system over the content and memory-based assessment as envisaged by NEP 2020.
- The results of NAS 2021 will be prepared in the form of District Report Cards, State/UT reports and National report.
- The assessment would be used to benchmark students’ learning against criteria such as process skills and learning outcomes.
- NAS will enable States and the Union Territories to identify gaps in learning outcomes and take remedial steps.
As per initial estimates received from 24 states/UTs nearly 96% of the sampled schools and nearly 92% of the targeted sampled children, of classes 3, 5, 8 and 10 participated in the survey.
The National Achievement Survey (NAS) is a process of gathering information in order to develop a deep understanding of what students know, understand and can do with their knowledge as a result of their educational experiences.
This process will ultimately culminate to improve the subsequent students’ learning and development, through systemic interventions.
- NAS is a scientifically designed achievement survey.
Three Phases of NAS exercise:
- Instrument development
- Sampling design
- Actual administration of the test
- NCERT, being nodal academic body has done the instrument development, testing, finalization of the test items.
- Sampling-Design has been done in a scientific manner as per international standards.
- Actual Administration of the test in the sampled schools was conducted by CBSEin collaboration with states and UTs, to maintain highest levels of reliability and impartiality, being a third-party assessment agency external to the school education department.
The National Achievement Survey conducted throughout the country on November 13, 2017 for Classes 3, 5 and 8 in government and government aided schools.