National Science Day 2021
National Science Day is celebrated in India every year on February 28, to mark the discovery of the Raman Effect by Indian physicist Sir CV Raman, back in 1928.
The theme for National Science Day 2021 celebration was “Future of STI (Science Technology Innovations): Impacts on Education, Skills and Work”.
National Science Day celebrations:
Union Minister for Science & Technology, Earth Sciences and Health & Family Welfare, Dr. Harsh Vardhan addressed the National Science Day function through video conferencing from Imphal, Manipur.
The NSD celebrations were organized by the National Council for Science Technology Communication (NCSTC), Department of Science & Technology.
Union Minister also conferred the awards to science communicators and women scientists on the occasion of National Science Day. He presented the National S&T Communication Awards, Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research (AWSAR) awards and SERB Women Excellence Awards and conferred Rajendra Prabhu Memorial Appreciation Shield for outstanding work in science media and journalism.
List of Awardees:
Science and Technology Communication Awardees:
- National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication through Print Media including Books and Magazines: Dr. S. Anil Kumar, Kerala
- National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Popularization among Children:
- Indian Resource and Development Association, Haryana
- Dr. Mihir Kumar Panda, Odisha
- National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication through Innovative and Traditional Methods:
- Dr. Sheffali Gulati, Delhi
- Shri Rakesh Khatri, Delhi
- National Award for Outstanding Efforts in Science & Technology Communication in the Electronic Medium: Dr. Krishna Kumari Challa, Telangana
Rajendra Prabhu Memorial Appreciation Shield for Outstanding Work in Science Media and Journalism:
Dr. S. Anil Kumar, Kerala
Appreciation Shield for National S&T Databases:
- S&T Awards in India: Dr Lalit Mohan, Society for Environment & Development (SED), Delhi
- Indian origin Academicians Abroad: Dr. Rajesh Bhatia & Team, Punjab Engineering College (PEC), Chandigarh
- Outstanding Story (PDF category)- Dr. Sangeeta Dutta, Bengaluru, Karnataka
- AWSAR Award: First Prize (Ph.D. category)- Ms. Pooja Maurya, Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- AWSAR Award: Second prize (Ph.D. category)- Ms. Indu Joshi, New Delhi, Delhi
- AWSAR Award: Third prize (Ph.D. category)- Ms. Shruti Soni, Bangalore, Karnataka
SERB Women Excellence Awardees:
- Dr. Shobhna Kapoor, Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology, Bombay
- Dr. Antara Banerjee, Scientist B, National Institute for Research in Reproductive Health, Mumbai
- Dr. Sonu Gandhi, Scientist D, National Institute of Animal Biotechnology, Hyderabad
- Dr. Ritu Gupta, Assistant Professor, Indian Institute of Technology Jodhpur