10-minute Drone Show at Vijay Chowk in New Delhi
⇒ Indian StartUp “Botlabs”, funded by Technology Development Board (TDB) under Union Ministry of Science & Technology and led by IIT Delhi alumni, flew 1000 Drones in “Beating Retreat” ceremony.
The event was held on 29 January 2022 at Vijay Chowk in New Delhi.
The 10-minute drone show commemorated the 75 years of Independence, that was celebrated this year as ‘Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav’.
After this light show, India became the fourth country after China, Russia and UK, to carry out such a large-scale show with 1,000 drones.
The Start-Up, Boatlab Dynamics was given an initial seed fund of Rs One crore rupees for R&D by Department of Science & Technology and subsequently Rs 2.5 crore for scale up and commercialization by Technology Development Board to develop first of its kind technological project in India.
First ever Goods Train reached at Rani Gaidinliu Railway Station
⇒ Indian Railways’ first ever goods train was reached Rani Gaidinliu Railway Station in Tamenglong district of Manipur. This will further improve connectivity of Manipur and boost commerce.
Vice Chief of the Army Staff
Lt Gen Manoj Pande, PVSM, AVSM, VSM took over as the Vice Chief of the Army Staff on 01 February 2022.
An alumnus of National Defence Academy, Lt Gen Manoj Pande was commissioned in December 1982 to the Corps of Engineers (The Bombay Sappers).
Lt Gen Manoj Pande takes over the appointment of the Vice Chief of the Army Staff from Lt Gen CP Mohanty who superannuated on 31 January 2022 after completing four decades of illustrious career in the Army.
⇒ A new scheme, Prime Minister’s Development Initiative for North-East, PM-DevINE was announced by the Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs, Smt Nirmala Sitharaman while presenting the Union Budget 2022-23 on 01 February 2022.
- PM-DevINE will be implemented through the North-Eastern Council.
- An initial allocation of Rs.1,500 crore will be made for the new scheme.
- It will fund infrastructure, in the spirit of PM GatiShakti, and social development projects based on felt needs of the North-East.
- This will enable livelihood activities for youth and women, filling the gaps in various sectors.
2nd ASEAN Digital Ministers (ADGMIN) meeting
⇒ The 2nd ASEAN Digital Ministers (ADGMIN) meeting with India took place on 28 January 2022 on a virtual platform.
Shri Devusinh Chauhan, Minister of State for Communications (MoSC) and Admiral Tin Aung San, Ministry of Transport and Communications, Myanmar co-chaired the meeting.
The ADGMIN is an annual meeting of Telecom Ministers of 10 ASEAN (Association of South-East Asian Nations) countries – Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.
The dialogue partner countries are Australia, Canada, China, EU, India, Japan, Republic of Korea, New Zealand, Russia, UK and US.
India-ASEAN Digital Work Plan 2022:
The Ministers meeting approved the India-ASEAN Digital Work Plan 2022.
The workplan includes- system for combating the use of stolen and counterfeit mobile handsets, WiFi Access network interface for nationwide public internet, the capacity building and knowledge sharing in emerging areas in the field of Information and Communication Technologies such as Internet of Things, 5G, Advanced Satellite Communication, Cyber Forensics, etc.
Prime Minister of Portugal
⇒ The Prime Minister of Portugal, Antonio Costo, has been re-elected following victory in the 2022 Portuguese legislative election.
- Antonio Costo is serving as the Prime Minister of Portugal since 26 November 2015.
World Neglected Tropical Disease Day 2022
⇒ World Neglected Tropical Disease Day is observed every year on 30 January to raise awareness about and eradicate Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs).
- The 3rd World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day (WNTDD) was celebrated on 30 January 2022.
India has joined global movement to illuminate 100 landmarks across the globe to raise awareness on Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs).
- In Jharkhand, Gujarat, New Delhi and Karnataka, iconic landmarks and monuments were illuminated as part of their commitment to eliminate NTDs.
The theme of the World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day 2022 was ‘Achieving health equity to end the neglect of poverty-related diseases’.
- The day provides an opportunity to focus on the millions of people who have limited or no access to prevention, treatment and care services.
- The day is also an opportunity to call on everyone to support the growing momentum for the control, elimination and eradication of these diseases.
Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) are caused mostly by a variety of pathogens including viruses, bacteria, parasites, fungi, and toxins. They affect over 1.7 billion people globally.
- On 31 May 2021, the World Health Assembly (WHA) recognized 30 January as World Neglected Tropical Disease (NTD) Day through decision WHA74(18).
- The first World Neglected Tropical Diseases Day was observed informally in 2020.