'Amazonia-1' launched at SDSC SHAR, Andhra Pradesh:
- India’s Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle PSLV-C51 successfully launched ‘Amazonia-1’ along with 18 co-passenger satellites from Satish Dhawan Space Centre SHAR, Sriharikota, on 28 February 2021.
Amazonia-1 is the first satellite designed, integrated and operated by Brazil. Amazonia-1 is the optical earth observation satellite of National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
This satellite will provide remote sensing data to users for monitoring deforestation in the Amazon region and analysis of diversified agriculture across the Brazilian territory.
PSLV-C51/Amazonia-1 is the first dedicated commercial mission of New Space India Limited (NSIL), a Government of India company under Department of Space.
'Major Port Authorities Bill', 2020:
- On 10 February 2021, Lower & Upper houses of Parliament passed the Major Port Authorities Bill, 2020.
The Bill is aimed at reorienting the governance model in central ports to landlord port model in line with the successful global practice. This will also help in bringing transparency in operations of Major Ports. This will empower the Major Ports to perform with greater efficiency on account of full autonomy in decision making and by modernizing the institutional framework of Major Ports.
Acquisition of Varian Medical Systems Inc:
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved acquisition by Siemens Healthineers Holding I Gmb (SHS GmbH) of Varian Medical Systems, Inc. (Varian) on 10 February 2021.
The proposed combination relates to the acquisition of 100% of shares of common stock and sole control of Varian, by SHS GmbH.
34th Foundation Day of TIFAC:
- Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) celebrated its 34th Foundation Day on 10 February 2021.
The theme of the Foundation day was: “Technology, Innovation and Economy for Aatma Nirbhar Bharat”.
On the occasion,two new initiatives of TIFAC were launched:
SAKSHAM (Shramik Shakti Manch):
A job portal, that will provide a common platform to the needs of MSMEs and the skills of Shramiks, thereby directly connecting the Shramiks with MSMEs and facilitate placement of 10 lakh blue-collar jobs.
The Seaweed Mission was launched for commercial farming and processing of seaweeds with an aim of value addition towards boosting the national economy.
World Pulses Day 2021:
- World Pulses Day is a designated United Nations global event to recognize the importance of pulses as a global food. It has been celebrated on February 10 of each year since 2019.
This year World Pulses Day 2021 celebration was held under the theme #LovePulses for a healthy diet and planet.
The day was taken as an opportunity to raise awareness and recognize the contribution of pulses to sustainable food systems and healthy diets.
On this occasion, Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Rural Development, Panchayat Raj and Food Processing Industries, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated office and laboratory buildings at IIPR’s regional centers Bhopal and Bikaner. He also laid the foundation stone of IIPR’s regional center Khordha (Odisha).
2021 Australian Open Grand Slam Tennis Tournament:
- The 2021 Australian Open Grand Slam tennis tournament was took place at Melbourne Park, in Victoria from 8 February to 21 February, 2021. It was the 109th edition of the Australian Open.
Men’s Singles: Serbian Player, Novak Djokovic
Women’s Singles: Japanese Player, Naomi Osaka