⇒ The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated Pradhanmantri Sangrahalaya in New Delhi on 14 April 2022.
» The Pradhan Mantri Sangrahalaya is a tribute to every Prime Minister of India since independence and a narrative record of how each has contributed to the development of the nation.
- Representing a seamless blend of the old and the new, the Sangrahalaya integrates the erstwhile Teen Murti Bhawan designated as Block I, with the newly constructed building designated as Block II.
- The total area of the two blocks is over 15,600 square metres.
- There are a total of 43 galleries in the Sangrahalaya.
Design of the museum:
- The design of the museum building is inspired by the story of rising India, shaped and moulded by the hands of its leaders.
- The design incorporates sustainable and energy conservation practices.
Logo of the Sangrahalaya:
- The logo of the Sangrahalaya represents the hands of the people of India holding the Dharma Chakra symbolizing the nation and democracy.
» Information for the museum was collected through resources / repositories with institutions such as Prasar Bharati, Doordarshan, Films Division, Sansad TV, Ministry of Defence, Media Houses (Indian and foreign), Foreign News Agencies etc.
- Appropriate use of Archives (Collected Works and other literary works, important correspondences), some Personal items, Gifts & Memorabilia (Felicitations, Honours, Medals conferred, commemorative stamps, coins, etc.), speeches of Prime Ministers and anecdotal representation of ideologies and different aspects of the lives of Prime Ministers have been reflected in a thematic format.
» The Sangrahalaya has employed cutting-edge technology-based interfaces to encompass heterogeneity in content and frequent rotation of display.
International Gandhi Award for Leprosy, 2021
⇒ The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu presented the International Gandhi Award for Leprosy, 2021 to Dr. Bhushan Kumar from Chandigarh and Sahyog Kushtha Yagna Trust, Gujarat at Upa-Rashtrapati Nivas in New Delhi.
- Individual category: Dr Bhushan Kumar
- Institutional category: Sahyog Kushtha Yagna Trust, Gujarat
» Presenting the award Shri Naidu said that both Dr. Bhushan Kumar and Sahyog Kushtha Yagna Trust have been working diligently to raise awareness about leprosy and in providing care to those afflicted with it. They have also been striving to remove the stigma associated with it.
- India is reporting the highest number of leprosy cases in the world.
- India accounts for (51%) of the new cases detected globally (2020–2021).
The annual award was instituted by Gandhi Memorial Leprosy Foundation.
World Leprosy Day:
World Leprosy Day always takes place on the last Sunday of January. In 2022, World Leprosy Day was celebrated on 30 January.
Sabka Vikas Mahaquiz Series
⇒ MyGov under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology is organising the Sabka Vikas Mahaquiz Series, which is part of an outreach effort to build awareness in citizens.
Sabka Vikas Mahaquiz is one of the biggest citizen engagement initiatives. This quiz has been fittingly launched on the birth anniversary of Bharat Ratna Dr Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar on 14th April 2022.
Sabka Vikas Mahaquiz aims to build awareness amongst citizens about Government’s various Schemes & Good Governance.
- The quiz aims to sensitise the participants about the various schemes and initiatives and how to avail the benefits.
- Massive participation in the quiz series will deepen government engagement at the grassroots level.
Languages of Quiz:
- The quiz is available in 12 languages – English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Kannada, Malayalam, Marathi, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil, and Telugu.
The first quiz was the Pradhan Mantri Garib Kalyan Anna Yojana (PMGKAY) under the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution.
- PMGKAY Quiz was conducted from 14th April to 28th April 2022.
The second quiz is on Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana quiz has been launched on 13th May 2022 and will be live till 27th May 2022.
This quiz is a part of the Sabka Vikas MahaQuiz Series in which different quizzes on various themes will be launched.
14th Indian Navy – Royal Australian Navy (IN - RAN) Navy to Navy Staff Talks
⇒ 14th Indian Navy – Royal Australian Navy (IN – RAN) Navy to Navy Staff Talks were held from 11-13 April 2022 at New Delhi.
The meeting was co-chaired by RAdm Christopher Smith, Deputy Chief of Navy, RAN and RAdm J Singh, ACNS (FCI), IN.
» The event witnessed active participation from Indian Navy and Royal Australian Navy.
- Major issues discussed included maritime operations, information exchange and training.
- Both sides also acknowledged the growing cooperation between the two Navies amid the emerging challenges on the maritime front, and agreed to enhance collaboration and interoperability towards ensuring maritime security in IOR.
71st Senior National Basketball Championship
⇒ The 71st Senior National Basketball Championship for Men & Women was held from 3rd – 10th April 2022 at Nehru Stadium, Chennai.
It was organized by Basketball Federation of India in association with Tamil Nadu Basketball Association.
» The final match took place on 10 April 2022 at the Nehru Indoor Stadium, Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
Tamil Nadu defeated defending champion Punjab 87-69 in the final to win the men’s title in the 71st Senior National Basketball Championship. This was Tamil Nadu’s 10th National title.
The formidable Indian Railways team won the women’s title, beating Telangana 131-82 in the final.