Iconic Week celebrated by the Ministry of Panchayati Raj
⇒ The Ministry of Panchayati Raj celebrated the Iconic Week from 11th April to 17th April, 2022 to commemorate Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav (AKAM) as a Jan-Utsav in the spirit of Jan-Bhagidari.
To celebrate this monumental occasion in the right spirit following “whole-of-society” and “whole-of-government” approach, the Ministry of Panchayati Raj conceptualized a series of Thematic Conferences.
The theme for the Iconic Week was “Panchayaton ke Navnirman ka Sankalpotsav” (पंचायतों के नवनिर्माण का संकल्पोत्सव).
The theme showcased convergence of the views, ideas, opinions, preparedness, technological interventions, best practices and cutting-edge insights of all stake-holders towards Localization of Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) through Panchayati Raj Institutions.
First Conference of Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022
⇒ The Mumbai Port Authority organized the First Conference of Incredible India International Cruise Conference 2022 on May 14-15, 2022 in Mumbai.
- Union Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways and AYUSH Shri Sarbananda Sonowal, unveiled the mascot named ‘Captain Cruzo’ for the event.
The two-day conference showcased abundant business opportunities in the country’s cruise tourism sector. It was aimed to first showcase India as a desired destination for cruise passengers, highlight the regional connectivity, promote building of new destinations and attractions like lighthouses and disseminate information about India’s preparedness for developing the cruise tourism sector.
Highlights of Conference:
- Promote Sea Cruises, Inland cruises and River cruises
- Guide as to what’s required from a Cruise lines’ perspective
- 200 delegates including from overseas
- Combination of Exhibitions and Conference
- Conference discussed the opportunities & Govt’s policy initiative in developing Cruise Tourism
- Conference attended by Captains of Cruising Industries
National award for Architect
⇒ Kozhikode-based architect Nimisha Hakkim has won the national award instituted by the Indian Institute of Architects for excellence in architecture in the socially responsible architecture category.
The award was in recognition of the outstanding design that led to the revitalisation of Government Higher Secondary School, Karaparamba, Kozhikode.
Azadi Ki Amrit Kahaniya
⇒ Union Minister of Information and Broadcasting, Shri Anurag Singh Thakur launched ‘Azadi Ki Amrit Kahaniya’, a short video series created in collaboration with OTT platform, Netflix on 26 April 2022.
Speaking on the collaboration Shri Thakur said:
- This initiative aims to bring out inspiring stories of Indians and these stories shall motivate and empower more people to achieve their goals.
- This was a long-term partnership where different themes and diverse stories will be highlighted.
- Netflix will be producing twenty-five videos on themes including women empowerment, environment and sustainable development and other days of significance.
- Netflix will produce two-minute short films for the Ministry which will be shared on social media platforms and telecast on Doordarshan network”.
World's first "crypto-backed" payment card
⇒ Crypto lender Nexo has teamed up with global payments company Mastercard to launch the world’s first “crypto-backed” payment card.
- London-based Crypto lender Nexo is a leading regulated institution for digital assets.
- The card will be available in selected European countries initially.
- The card will allow users to spend without having to sell their digital assets such as bitcoin, which are used as collateral to back the credit granted.
- The card requires no minimum repayments, monthly, or inactivity fees.
- There are no FX fees for up to 20,000 euros per month.
- There are no restrictions on how much a customer can spend or withdraw from the open credit line and interest is only paid on the amount of credit actually used.
- Interest remains at 0 per cent for customers who maintain a loan-to-value ratio of 20 per cent or below.
48th La Roda International Open Chess tournament
⇒ Young Indian Grandmaster D Gukesh emerged victorious in the 48th La Roda International Open Chess tournament, scoring eight points from nine rounds.
The 15-year-old GM from Chennai, who remained unbeaten through the nine rounds, defeated Israel’s Victor Mikhalevski in the final round on 17 April 2022.
World Intellectual Property (IP) Day 2022
⇒ World Intellectual Property Day is celebrated every year on 26 April to learn about the role that intellectual property (IP) rights play in encouraging innovation and creativity.
World Intellectual Property 2022 recognizes the huge potential of young people to find new and better solutions that support the transition to a sustainable future.
The theme for World Intellectual Property Day 2022 was ‘IP and Youth innovating for a Better Future’.
- WIPO’s (World Intellectual Property Organization) member states finalised 26 April to mark World Intellectual Property Day celebrations in 2000.
- The date marks the anniversary the WIPO Convention came into existence in 1970.
» As part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav, the CSIR-National Institute of Science Communication and Policy Research organized a National Workshop on “IP and Youth: Innovating for better future” to commemorate World Intellectual Property Day for school students and innovators.