North East Research Conclave (NERC) 2022
⇒ Union Education and Skill Development Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the North East Research Conclave (NERC) 2022 at IIT, Guwahati on 20 May 2022.
Addressing the conclave, Shri Pradhan said:
- This conclave will strengthen the linkages between industry, academia & policy makers and further invigorate the research, start-up and entrepreneurship ecosystems in the resource-rich Northeastern Region states and the country.
- NERC 2022 will be a global benchmark for fulfilling research & development priorities of India and the world.
About NERC 2022:
- The North East Research Conclave 2022 was organized to showcase the best Research & Developmental activities from all the educational and the research institutions across the states of North East India.
- It also tried to create a common interface for the interaction of academia and industry in Northeast India.
- The conclave also worked towards creating an environment, conducive to the development of local indigenous technologies and innovations, creating the scope and laying the foundation for entrepreneurship and to agglomerate a vast talent pool, for the promotion of Translational Research.
3rd edition of “TechBharat”
⇒ Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh addressed the third edition of “TechBharat” on the theme “Transforming India’s FoodTech, AgriTech & Agronomic Landscape” at CSIR-CFTRI Campus in Mysuru in May 2022.
Addressing a Conclave-cum-Exhibition on Agri-Tech and Food-Tech in the Royal city of Mysuru, Dr Jitendra Singh said:
- A new wave of Agri-tech Startups has come up in India in the last few years due to enabling policy environment provided by Modi government to address the problems of Indian agriculture.
- Dr Jitendra Singh said, the third edition of “TechBharat” is a timely one as Agriculture is one of the important pillars of the Indian economy as 54 percent of Indian population depends directly on agriculture and it accounts for around 20 percent of GDP.
- He said, although, agriculture in India has majorly seen a steady growth in the last few years, not much has been done in encouraging young, fresh and unique innovative ideas in the sector.
- ‘Kisan Drones’ are being promoted for crop assessment, digitisation of land records, spraying of insecticides, and nutrients in India.
- Agri-tech Start-ups are critical to India’s future economy.
- Startups providing solutions such as biogas plants, solar powered cold storage, fencing and water pumping, weather prediction, spraying machines, seed drills and vertical farming will help in increasing farmers’ income.
CEO of IndiGo
⇒ InterGlobe Aviation Limited (IndiGo) has appointed Pieter Elbers as its Chief Executive Officer, on 18 May 2022.
He will join IndiGo on October 1, 2022. Elbers succeeds Ronojoy Dutta who has decided to retire on September 30, 2022.
Since 2014, Elbers has been the president and chief executive officer of KLM Royal Dutch Airlines. He is also a member of the executive committee of the Air France–KLM Group.
President of India visits Kingstown, the capital city of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
⇒ The President of India, Shri Ram Nath Kovind, arrived in Kingstown, the capital city of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on May 18, 2022 in the final leg of his state visit to two nations –Jamaica and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines. This is the first state visit of an Indian President to this country.
The President of India called on Governor General Dame Susan Dougan and Prime Minister Dr Ralph Gonsalves on 19 May 2022.
- During his meeting with the two leaders, they discussed strengthening cooperation between India and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines in the fields of Information Technology, health, education, tourism and culture and in the multilateral fora.
- Following the meeting, they witnessed the signing and exchange of an Agreement for the Exchange of Information and Assistance in Collection of Taxes and an MoU on Refurbishment of Old Calder Community Centre.
- The President also addressed the special sitting of the House Assembly of Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on the topic “India and Saint Vincent and the Grenadines – Towards an Inclusive World Order”.
- The President visited the Calder Road in Kingstown where he addressed the Indian community and Friends of India. Subsequently, the President renamed Calder Road to ‘India Drive’ by unveiling of a plaque in the presence of Prime Minister Gonsalves, members of Indian community and other dignitaries.
8th BRICS Environment Ministers Meeting
⇒ Union Minister of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Bhupender Yadav participated in the 8th BRICS Environment Ministers Meeting on 20 May 2022.
Addressing the Meeting, the Minister mentioned about the significance and important role of the BRICS Nations while combating the global environmental and climate change challenges.
The theme of the Meeting was “Foster High-Quality BRICS Partnership, Usher in a New Era for Global Development”.
- The meeting was held virtually under Presidency of People’s Republic of China.
Ministers and delegates from Brazil, Russia and South Africa also participated in the Meeting.
During the discussion on Join Hands to Facilitate Green and Low-carbon Development, the Minister stated that existing BRICS initiatives can also contribute towards promoting sustainable and low-carbon development.
- Solar energy, industry transition, infrastructure and climate resilience are areas, where BRICS Countries may explore cooperation.
- The Joint Statement for the 8th BRICS Environment Ministers Meeting was adopted in the Meeting after hectic deliberation among the BRICS Nations.
World Metrology Day 2022
⇒ World Metrology Day is observed every year on 20 May to commemorate the anniversary of the signing of the Metre Convention on 20th May 1875.
The theme for World Metrology Day 2022 was “Metrology in the Digital Era”.
- The theme was announced jointly by the International Bureau of Weights and Measures (BIPM) and the International Organisation of Legal Metrology (OIML).
- This theme was chosen for introducing digital measurement frameworks and requirements for an open and transparent exchange of digital information technology for revolutionising the scientific community, improving processes and providing the way for new opportunities through new digital initiatives in metrology.
» CSIR-National Physical Laboratory is the custodian of national measurement standards through an act of Parliament and provides traceability to SI units in India.
» CSIR-National Physical Laboratory, New Delhi in association with Metrology Society of India (MSI) organized the World Metrology Day 2022. Metrology is the scientific study of measurement.
- World Metrology Day is an annual celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on 20 May 1875 by representatives of seventeen nations.
- The Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications.
- The original aim of the Metre Convention – the world-wide uniformity of measurement – remains as important today as it was in 1875.