Khadi Utsav at the Sabarmati River Front
⇒ The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi participated in Khadi Utsav at the Sabarmati River Front, Ahmedabad on 27 August 2022.
It has been a constant endeavour of the Prime Minister to popularise Khadi, generate awareness about Khadi products and promote the use of Khadi amongst youth. As a result of the efforts of the Prime Minister, since 2014, the sale of Khadi in India has witnessed a four-fold increase, whereas, in Gujarat, the sale of Khadi has witnessed a massive eightfold increase.
- In a one of its kind events held as part of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav, Khadi Utsav was organized to pay tribute to khadi and its importance during the freedom struggle.
- The Utsav was organised at Sabarmati Riverfront, Ahmedabad and witnessed 7500 women khadi artisans from various districts of Gujarat spinning charkha live at the same time and at the same place.
- The event also featured an exhibition showcasing the “Evolution of Charkhas” by displaying 22 Charkhas from different generations used since the 1920s.
- It included charkhas like “Yerwada Charkha” which symbolises the charkhas used during the freedom struggle, to the charkhas with the latest innovations and technology used today.
- A live demonstration of the production of Ponduru Khadi was also done.
- During the event, the Prime Minister also inaugurated the new office building of the Gujarat Rajya Khadi Gramodyog Board and ‘Atal Bridge’, a foot-over bridge at Sabarmati.
Book titled “Science behind Suryanamaskar”
⇒ Minister of State for Ayush and Minister of State for Women and Child Development Dr Munjpara Mahendrabhai Kalubhai released a book titled “Science behind Suryanamaskar” at All India Institute of Ayurveda.
- The book is a collection of evidence-based research on one of the most well-known Yoga Asanas.
- The book “Science behind Suryanamaskar” has been compiled by the AIIA’s Department of Swasthavritta and Yoga.
- The Minister was invited as the Chief Guest to felicitate the organisers of the Continuing Medical Education (CME) Programme 2022 that was held at the Institute from 22nd-27th August 2022.
- The Programme was organised by the departments of Swasthavritta, Panchakarma, and Dravyaguna, in association with Rashtriya Ayurveda Vidyapeeth (RAV), New Delhi.
Carbon Zero Challenge 2022
⇒ The prestigious Indian Institute of Technology-Madras (IIT-M) has launched its Carbon Zero Challenge 2022 with a focus on sustainability innovations and eco-ventures.
Prof. V. Kamakoti, Director, IIT Madras, launched the third edition of Carbon Zero Challenge (CZC) on 24th August 2022. The competition will encourage development of sustainability and entrepreneurial thinking at academic and research labs where technology development flourishes.
CZC 2022, an all-India eco-innovation and entrepreneurship competition, aims to accelerate lab-to-market transition of eco-innovations in India by funding innovations from proof-of-concept, lab-scale solutions to working prototypes or pilots.
The Theme for CZC 2022 is CZC for ‘CRC’ (or) ‘Circularity in Resources Conservation.’ The idea is to highlight the need to balance demand and earth’s supply through resource conservation, rethinking design and materials to enable reduction, recycling, recovery and reuse of resources. The industry and public service systems need non-polluting technology to achieve this and low carbon, land footprint.
The Key Aspects of Carbon Zero Challenge 2022 include:
- Wider Range of Solutions: Solutions to sustainability challenges can be deep technology, a new business model, a new app-based inventory, IT /IOT/AI and data analysis, a new policy intervention, or a combination of the four.
- Faculty-led/Research scientist-led teams: Faculty initiation and involvement are key to sustaining the momentum and continuing the journey to higher TRLs and Incubating Start-ups.
- Focus on Commercialisation of research: CZC will invest in developing the “go-to-market capabilities” of the selected teams and expect the teams to develop their alignment and relevance to the marketplace.
» Shortlisted teams will get funding and mentorship support to establish start-ups and take their idea to the market through commercialization.
» In addition, CZC 2022 winners will get Rs 10 lakh as start-up seed grant and continued support from IIT Madras such as access to IITM incubation resources and Angel and VC funding.
INS Sumedha deployed to South East Asia
⇒ As part of the Indian Navy’s long-range operational deployment, INS Sumedha deployed to South East Asia, visited Port Klang, Malaysia on 27 August 2022.
- INS Sumedha’s visit to Port Klang is aimed at strengthening bilateral ties, enhancing maritime cooperation and interoperability between Indian Navy and Royal Malaysian Navy (RMN).
- Both navies have been collaborating on various fronts and are playing a critical role in ensuring Maritime Security and Safety of global commons.
INS Sumedha is an indigenously built Naval Offshore Patrol Vessel deployed for multiple roles independently and in support of Fleet Operations. She is part of the Indian Navy’s Eastern Fleet based at Visakhapatnam and functions under the operational command of the Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command.
46th Foundation Day of NBSS & LUP
⇒ ICAR – National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, Nagpur Celebrated its 46th Foundation Day on August 27, 2022.
About NBSS & LUP:
- The Bureau is an independent institute of Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR).
- The Bureau is entrusted with the mission of conducting and promoting research in the National Agriculture Research System in the areas of Soil Survey, Pedology, Geomorphology, Remote Sensing, Geographic Information System, Cartography, Land Evaluation and Land Use Planning.
- The NBSS&LUP is headquartered in Nagpur and is one among the chain of ICAR Institutes.
- In line with the recommendations of the Task Force on Land and Soil Resources (1972) which suggested the need for soil correlation, uniform nomenclature and proper soil mapping and also the presidential notification on December 15, 1973, the duties with respect to research, training, correlation, classification, mapping and interpretation were allotted to the NBSS&LUP.
2022 Asia Cup
The 2022 Asia Cup was played in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) from 27 August to 11 September, 2022. The 2022 Asia Cup was the 15th edition of the Asia Cup Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is) cricket tournament.
The tournament was played in the United Arab Emirates, with Sri Lanka Cricket serving as the tournament’s hosts.
- Pakistan will host the 2023 edition of the Asia Cup.
The 2022 Asia Cup Final was played between Sri Lanka and Pakistan at the Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai on 11 September 2022.
- Sri Lanka beat Pakistan by 23 runs in the final to win their sixth title and their first in T20I format.
» India were the defending champions, and were eliminated in the Super Four stage of the 2022 Asia Cup.
- Player of the Series: Wanindu Hasaranga (Sri Lanka)
- Most Runs: Mohammad Rizwan (281) (Pakistan)
- Most Wickets: Bhuvneshwar Kumar (11) (India)