Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi visits Gujarat
⇒ The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of projects worth around Rs 4400 crore in Bhuj on 28 August 2022.
- Earlier, Prime Minister also inaugurated Smriti Van Memorial in Bhuj district.
- He also addressed a programme in Gandhinagar, marking the commemoration of 40 years of Suzuki in India.
Details of the projects:
Smriti Van Memorial:
» The Prime Minister inaugurated the Smriti Van Memorial in Bhuj district. Envisioned by the Prime Minister, Smriti Van is a one of its kind initiatives.
- It has been built in an area of around 470 acres to celebrate the spirit of resilience shown by the people after the death of around 13,000 people who had lost their lives during the 2001 earthquake which had its epicentre in Bhuj.
- The Memorial carries names of the people who had lost their lives during the earthquake.
- The state-of-the-art Smriti Van Earthquake Museum is segregated in seven blocks based on seven themes: Rebirth, Rediscover, Restore, Rebuild, Rethink, Relive and Renew.
- The first block is based on the theme Rebirth depicting Earth’s evolution and ability of the earth to overcome every time.
- The second block showcases Gujarat’s topography and various natural disasters that the state is vulnerable to.
- The third block takes one back to the immediate aftermath after the 2001 earthquake. Galleries in this block address the massive relief effort undertaken by individuals as well as organisations.
- The fourth block showcases Gujarat’s rebuilding initiatives and success stories post 2001 earthquake.
- The fifth block prompts the visitor to think and learn about different types of disasters and future readiness for any type of disaster at any time.
- The sixth block helps us to relive the experience of an earthquake with the help of a simulator. The experience is designed in a 5D simulator and is meant to give the visitor the ground reality of an event at this scale.
- The seventh block provides people with a space for remembrance where they can pay homage to the lost souls.
Various Projects in Bhuj:
» The Prime Minister inaugurated and laid the foundation stone of projects worth around Rs 4400 crore in Bhuj.
» The Prime Minister also inaugurated the Kachchh Branch Canal of Sardar Sarovar Project.
- The total length of the Canal is around 357 km. A part of the canal was inaugurated by the Prime Minister in 2017 and the remaining part is being inaugurated now. Canal would help in providing irrigation facilities in Kachchh and drinking water in all 948 villages and 10 towns of the Kachchh district.
» Prime Minister inaugurateed various other projects as well including New Automatic Milk Processing and Packing Plant of Sarhad Dairy; Regional Science Centre, Bhuj; Dr. Baba Saheb Ambedkar Convention Centre at Gandhidham; Veer Bal Smarak at Anjar; Bhuj 2 Substation at Nakhatrana etc.
» The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone of various projects worth over Rs 1500 crores as well, including the Bhuj- Bhimasar Road.
Programme marking the Commemoration of 40 years of Suzuki in India:
» During the event, Prime Minister laid the foundation stones of two key projects of the Suzuki group in India – the Suzuki Motor Gujarat Electric Vehicle Battery Manufacturing Facility at Hansalpur, Gujarat and Maruti Suzuki’s upcoming vehicle manufacturing facility in Kharkhoda, Haryana.
- The Suzuki Motor Gujarat Electric Vehicle Battery Manufacturing Facility at Hansalpur, Gujarat will be set-up with an investment of around Rs 7,300 crores to manufacture Advance Chemistry Cell batteries for Electric Vehicles.
- The vehicle manufacturing facility in Kharkhoda, Haryana will have the potential to manufacture 10 lakh passenger vehicles per year, making it one of the largest passenger vehicle manufacturing facilities at a single site in the world. The first phase of the project will be set up with an investment of over Rs 11,000 crores.
Golden Peacock Award for Occupational Health & Safety for 2022
⇒ National Thermal Power Corporation (NTPC) – Kayamkulam won the Golden Peacock Award for Occupational Health & Safety for 2022, instituted by Institute of Directors (IOD).
- Hon’ble Justice MN Venkatachaliah, Former Chief Justice of India presented the award on 25 August 2022 in a function held at Bengaluru.
- NTPC Management gives top priority to health and safety of NTPC employees and workers.
- The aim and objective of the management is to have no incident that harm the people, neighbours or put its plant and assets at risk.
- NTPC Management gives utmost importance in providing a safe working environment and creating safety awareness among its employees. The company takes all the steps which are reasonably practicable to ensure best possible condition of work.
Disney Star wins ICC Media Rights for Indian Market
⇒ Disney Star has bagged the broadcast rights of all ICC events for a four-year deal from 2024 to 2027 for the Indian market.
- Disney Star will be the home of all ICC cricket in India for the next four years having won the TV and digital rights of both men’s and women’s global events till the end of 2027. Disney Star is paying around USD 3 billion for the rights.
- Star emerged winners after staving off a strong challenge from Viacom 18, Sony Sports and Zee Network.
» In June, the IPL media rights for the 2023-2027 cycle were sold for a whopping Rs 57.5 crore (per match) for TV and for Rs 50 crore (per match) for digital.
2022 BWF World Championships
⇒ The 2022 BWF World Championships was a badminton tournament, held from 22 to 28 August 2022 at Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium in Tokyo, Japan.
- India finished with one medal at the badminton championships. Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty claimed the bronze medal in the men’s doubles competition of the BWF World Championships 2022 after losing against Malaysia’s Aaron Chia and Soh Wooi Yik in the semifinals. Read More
25th Foundation Day of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority
⇒ National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority celebrates its foundation day on 29th August.
Union Minister of Chemical and Fertilizers, Dr Mansukh Mandaviya addressed the Silver Jubilee Celebrations of National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) on 29 August 2022.
- At the inaugural session, Integrated Pharmaceutical Database Management System 2.0 (IPDMS 2.0) and Pharma Sahi Daam 2.0 App were launched.
About IPDMS 2.0:
- Integrated Pharmaceutical Database Management System 2.0 (IPDMS 2.0), is an integrated responsive cloud-based application developed by NPPA with technical support from Centre for Advance Computing (C-DAC).
- IPDMS 2.0 is envisaged to optimize synergies in operations in order to promote Government’s thrust on ‘Ease of Doing Business’ as it would provide a single window for submissions of various forms as mandated under Drug Price Control Order (DPCO), 2013.
- It would also enable paperless functioning of NPPA and facilitate the stakeholders to connect with National Pharma Pricing Regulator from across the country
Pharma Sahi Daam 2.0 App:
- Pharma Sahi Daam 2.0 App with updated features was launched on the occasion.
- The App has features like- speech recognition; search medicines brand/formulation wise; share feature along with consumer complaint handling system.
» After the inaugural session, a panel discussion on the topic “Robust Data collection for policy making in Pharmaceutical and Medtech sector” was conducted.
- NPPA is an organization of the Government of India.
- National Pharmaceutical Pricing Authority (NPPA) was constituted vide Government of India Resolution dated 29th August, 1997 as an attached office of the Department of Pharmaceuticals, Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers.
- It was established, inter alia, to fix/revise the prices of controlled bulk drugs and formulations and to enforce prices and availability of the medicines in the country, under the Drugs (Prices Control) Order, 1995.
- It is an independent Regulator for pricing of drugs and to ensure availability and accessibility of medicines at affordable prices.