Vice Chairman of NITI Aayog
⇒ Eminent economist Suman K Bery took charge as the Vice Chairman of the government think tank Niti Aayog on 01 May 2022. Bery will remain in the office till further orders.
An experienced policy economist and research administrator, Bery has replaced Rajiv Kumar as the vice chairman of the government think tank.
- Bery has previously served as Director General (Chief Executive) of the National Council of Applied Economic Research (NCAER) and the global chief economist of Royal Dutch Shell.
- He was also a member of the Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council, Statistical Commission and the Reserve Bank of India’s Technical Advisory Committee on Monetary Policy.
Best performing state in the control of malaria
⇒ The Union health ministry acknowledged Andhra Pradesh as the best performing state in the control of malaria for bringing down the total number of cases by five times in three years.
- On behalf of Andhra Pradesh, additional director of state health and family welfare V Rami Reddy received the award from Union health minister Mansukh Mandaviya at a programme in New Delhi on 25 April 2022.
Malaria cases in AP: –
- Since 2018, the malaria cases have drastically declined from 6,040 to 1,139 in 2021 in the state.
- A total of 75,29,994 blood samples were tested in 2021, out of which 1,139 were diagnosed with malaria.
- This year, 117 malaria cases have emerged so far across the state.
Cancer Hospitals in Assam
⇒ The Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi dedicated to the nation seven cancer hospitals in Assam at a function in Dibrugarh on 28 April 2022. These cancer Hospitals are built at Dibrugarh, Kokrajhar, Barpeta, Darrang, Tezpur, Lakhimpur, and Jorhat.
The Prime Minister also laid the foundation stone of seven new cancer hospitals at Dhubri, Nalbari, Goalpara, Nagaon, Sivasagar, Tinsukia and Golaghat to be constructed under phase 2 of the project.
- Assam Cancer Care Foundation, a joint venture of Government of Assam and Tata Trusts, is executing a project to build South Asia’s largest affordable cancer care network with 17 Cancer care hospitals spread across the state.
- Under the Phase 1 of the project, out of 10 hospitals, the construction of seven hospitals have been completed while three hospitals are at various level of construction. Phase 2 of the project will witness construction of seven new cancer hospitals.
MSME Sustainable (ZED) Certification Scheme
⇒ Union Minister for Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Shri Narayan Rane launched the MSME Sustainable (ZED) Certification Scheme on 28 April 2022.
- In his address, the Minister said that ZED has the potential to become a national movement and that it aims to provide a roadmap to global competitiveness for the MSMEs of India.
» This Scheme is an extensive drive to enable and facilitate MSMEs adopt Zero Defect Zero Effect (ZED) practices and motivate and incentivize them for ZED Certification while also encouraging them to become MSME Champions.
» Through the journey of ZED Certification, MSMEs can reduce wastages substantially, increase productivity, enhance environmental consciousness, save energy, optimally use natural resources, expand their markets, etc.
» Under the Scheme, MSMEs will get subsidy as per the following structure, on the cost of ZED certification:
- Micro Enterprises: 80%
- Small Enterprises: 60%
- Medium Enterprises: 50%
» There will be an additional subsidy of 10% for the MSMEs owned by Women/SC/ST Entrepreneurs OR MSMEs in NER/Himalayan/LWE/ Island territories/aspirational districts.
» In addition to above, there will be an additional subsidy of 5% for MSMEs which are also a part of the SFURTI OR Micro & Small Enterprises – Cluster Development Programme (MSE-CDP) of the Ministry.
» Further, a limited purpose joining reward of Rs.10,000 will be offered to each MSME once they take the ZED Pledge
» A provision of up to Rs.5 lakh (per MSME) will be made available for handholding and consultancy support for MSMEs under ZED Certification for assisting them to move towards Zero Defect Zero Effect solutions.
» The MSMEs can also avail a number of other incentives offered for ZED Certification by States & UTs, Financial Institutions etc. and can also apply for free Certification under the MSME KAWACH (COVID-19 Support) initiative.
About Ministry of MSME:
- Ministry of MSME serves to promote, develop and handhold MSMEs across sectors and States.
- The Ministry runs more than 20 different schemes such as PMEGP, SFUTI, MSE-CDP, RAMP Scheme, ATI, Udyam Registration, etc.
'Kudo Sports Complex' in Dimapur
⇒ Union Minister for Tribal Affairs, Arjun Munda visited Nagaland on a two-day official visit in the last week of April 2022.
During his visit, the Union Minister Shri Arjun Munda in an endeavour to encourage mass participation and promote excellence in sports among tribals, inaugurated the ‘Kudo Sports Complex’ in Dimapur, Nagaland.
- The establishment of Complex is being funded by the Union Ministry of Tribal affairs.
India's first athlete to qualify for Ironman World Championship 2022 through rankings
⇒ Raghul Sankaranarayanan, India’s fastest Ironman, is now the first athlete from the country to qualify through rankings for the Ironman World Championships 2022.
Raghul Sankaranarayanan, India’s fastest Ironman triathlete, was amongst only eight Indians participating.
Every Ironman is a battle of the mind and body. The physical and mental strain put on the body while swimming 3.8 kilometre, cycling 180 kilometre and running 42.2 kilometre is brutal.
- The 2022 IRONMAN World Championship will take place on October 6th & 8th, 2022.