Lieutenant Governor of Delhi
⇒ The President of India Shri Ram Nath Kovind has appointed Shri Vinai Kumar Saxena as the Lt. Governor of National Capital Territory of Delhi. Vinai Kumar Saxena was sworn in as the Lieutenant Governor of Delhi on 26 May 2022.
Earlier, V K Saxena was the Chairman of Khadi and Village Industries Commission. Saxena has been appointed following the resignation of Shri Anil Baijal, who had served as the Delhi LG for five years and four months.
ONGC first Indian Exploration & Production company to trade domestic gas on Indian Gas Exchange
⇒ Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Ltd. (ONGC) has become the first Exploration and Production (E&P) company in India to trade domestic gas on Indian Gas Exchange.
- The first online trade was made on 23 May 2022 by ONGC Director (Onshore) In-charge Marketing Anurag Sharma on India’s first automated national level Gas Exchange, IGX.
- The gas traded is from ONGC Krishna Godavari 98/2 block.
Workshop on "Greening India Through Renewables"
⇒ Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Limited (IREDA) in association with the Mahratta Chamber of Commerce Industries and Agriculture (MCCAI), conducted a workshop on “Greening India Through Renewables” on 20 May 2022 in Pune, Maharashtra.
Addressing the event, Shri Pradip Kumar Das, CMD, IREDA, urged Maharashtra’s industry leaders and investors to pay attention to Renewable Energy (RE) sector and invest in the RE projects.
- Shri Das emphasized on IREDA’s commitment towards the development of RE projects in all states, including Maharashtra, noting that out of a total loan of Rs 1,20,946 crores sanctioned by IREDA, Rs 14,445 crores were sanctioned for 422 RE project accounts in Maharashtra.
- The company has disbursed Rs.10,018 crores in Maharashtra out of a total loan disbursement of Rs.79,446 crores.
- In Maharashtra, IREDA sanctioned loan of Rs 2,564 crores for 12 RE project accounts and disbursed Rs 1362 crores during FY 2021-22.
49th IFTDO World Conference & Exhibition
⇒ Union Minister of Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship delivered the valedictory address at the 49th IFTDO World Conference & Exhibition organized in New Delhi on 21 May 2022.
It was organized on the theme of ‘Strategies for an Agile Work Culture: Pathways to the New Age’.
Speaking on the occasion, he spoke about the role of technology as an enabler as well as a disruptor in the society and economy.
- He said that in view of a rapidly changing world, we must prepare our workforce to be ready for the challenges of the 21st century through a holistic skilling strategy.
- He highlighted the role of Capacity Building Commission of India in looking at best practices in capacity building and creating synergy between different entities.
- He also spoke about the National Education Policy (NEP) and its impetus on creating synergy between education and skilling.
- International Federation of Training and Development Organisations (IFTDO) was founded in Geneva, Switzerland in 1972.
- IFTDO is the most multinational, multicultural Training and Development organization in the world with a truly diverse Board of Directors leading the organization.
4th edition of the Indian Navy-Bangladesh Navy Coordinated Patrol
⇒ The fourth edition of the Indian Navy-Bangladesh Navy Coordinated Patrol (CORPAT) commenced in the Northern Bay of Bengal on 22 May 2022.
Indian Navy and Bangladesh Navy units carried out joint patrolling along the International Maritime Boundary Line (IMBL) till 23 May 2022.
Two indigenously built IN Ships – Kora, a guided-missile corvette and Sumedha, an offshore patrol vessel participated in the exercise along with Bangladesh Navy Ships BNS Ali Haider and BNS Abu Ubaidah. In addition, Maritime Patrol Aircraft of both navies also participated in the Coordinated Patrol.
- The regular conduct of CORPATs has strengthened mutual understanding and enhanced interoperability between both the navies in countering transnational maritime threats at sea.
- The last IN-BN CORPAT was conducted in October 2020.
International Museum Day 2022
⇒ International Museum Day is celebrated every year on 18 May all over the world.
The objective of this day is to raise awareness of the role that museums play as an ‘important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, cooperation and peace among peoples.’
The theme for International Museum Day 2022 was “The Power of Museums”.
On International Museum Day 2022, ICOM explores the potential of museums to bring about positive change in their communities through three lenses:
- The power of achieving sustainability
- The power of innovating on digitalisation and accessibility
- The power of community building through education
- Every year since 1977, International Council of Museums (ICOM) has been organizing an International Museum Day (IMD), which represents a unique event for the international museum community.
- During the 12th ICOM Moscow General Conference, held in 1977, 18 May was established as International Museum Day.
Celebration in India:
Under the aegis of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsava, on the occasion of the upcoming International Museum Day, the Ministry of Culture, organized a week-long celebration across its museums from 16th May – 20th May 2022.
This event was celebrated across the country at seven different places. These are:
- National Museum, New Delhi
- National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi and Bengaluru
- Allahabad Museum, Prayagraj
- Indian Museum, Kolkata
- Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata
- Salar Jung Museum, Hyderabad
- National Council of Science Museums (in 24 locations across India)
On the occasion of International Museum Day, Shri G Kishan Reddy the Union Minister for Culture, Tourism and Development of the North Eastern Region inaugurated exhibitions Hastantaran and Kshetrajna of the galleries the National Gallery of Modern Art in New Delhi.
The Union Minister also launched the ‘Museum of India’ mobile app.
- To see and listen to stories, paintings, photography and speeches from the museums across the country.