MyGov Helpdesk on WhatsApp
⇒ In a major initiative to make Government services accessible, inclusive, transparent and simple, MyGov announced that citizens will now be able to use the MyGov Helpdesk on WhatsApp to access the Digilocker service.
» WhatsApp users across the country can use the chatbot by simply sending ‘Namaste or Hi or Digilocker’ to the WhatsApp number +91 9013151515.
MyGov Helpdesk, will now offer a suite of services for integrated citizen support and efficient governance, starting with Digilocker services.
This includes creating and authenticating their Digilocker account, downloading documents such as PAN card, driving license, vehicle registration certificate, among others, all on WhatsApp.
With new additions like Digilocker, the MyGov chatbot on WhatsApp aims to build a comprehensive administrative support system for citizens to access resources and essential services that are digitally inclusive.
75th World Health Assembly
⇒ The 75th World Health Assembly was held in Geneva, Switzerland, on 22-28 May 2022.
The theme for Health Assembly 2022 was ‘Health for peace, peace for health’.
Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare and Chemicals and Fertilizers Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya addressed 75th session of World Health Assembly WHO HQ, Geneva.
Addressing the WHA, Dr. Mansukh Mandaviya said:
- He exhorted India’s commitment to build a more resilient global health security architecture.
- As highlighted by India’s Prime Minister, there is a need to build a resilient global supply chain to enable equitable access to vaccines and medicines, streamlining WHO’s approval process for vaccines and therapeutics and strengthen WHO to build a more resilient global health security architecture. As a responsible member of the global community, India is ready to play a key role in these efforts.
- India believes that this year’s theme linking peace and health, is timely & pertinent because there can be no sustainable development & universal health & wellbeing without peace.
About World Health Assembly:
- The World Health Assembly is the decision-making body of WHO.
- It is attended by delegations from all WHO Member States and focuses on a specific health agenda prepared by the Executive Board.
- The main functions of the World Health Assembly are to determine the policies of the Organization, appoint the Director-General, supervise financial policies, and review and approve the proposed programme budget.
- The Health Assembly is held annually in Geneva, Switzerland.
WHO Director-General’s Global Health Leaders Awards 2022
⇒ WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus has announced the World Health Organization Director-General’s Global Health Leaders Awards 2022 on 22 May 2022.
On the opening session of the 75th World Health Assembly six awards has been announced to recognize outstanding contributions to advancing global health, demonstrated leadership and commitment to regional health issues.
- ASHA (Accredited Social Health Activist Workers)
ASHA workers received WHO Director-General’s Global Health Leaders’ award 2022.
ASHA are the more than 1 million female volunteers in India, honored for their crucial role in linking the community with the health system, to ensure those living in rural poverty can access primary health care services, as shown throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
ASHAs worked to provide maternal care and immunization for children against vaccine-preventable diseases; community health care; treatment for hypertension and tuberculosis; and core areas of health promotion for nutrition, sanitation, and healthy living.
2. Dr Paul Farmer
Dr Farmer, who passed away in his sleep in February, 2022 in Rwanda, was Chair of the Department of Global Health and Social Medicine at Harvard Medical School and co-founder of Partners in Health.
3. Dr Ahmed Hankir
A British-Lebanese psychiatrist, Dr Ahmed Hankir is Senior Research fellow at the Centre for Mental Health Research in association with Cambridge University and Academic Clinical Fellow in Psychiatry at the King’s College London in the United Kingdom.
4. Ms Ludmila Sofia Oliveira Varela
A youth sports advocate from Cabo Verde and player of the Cabo Verde national volleyball team, Ms Oliviera Varela’s work to facilitate access to sports for all provides a healthy alternative to risky behaviors among young people, and tackles the growing threat of non-communicable diseases.
5. Polio workers in Afghanistan
Their names were Mr. Mohamamd Zubair Khalazai, Mr Najibullah Kosha, Mr Shadab Yosufi, Mr Shareefullah Hemati, Mrs Haseeba Omari, Ms Khadija Attaee, Ms Munira Hakimi and Ms Robina Yosufi and her brother Shadab.
6. Mr Yōhei Sasakawa
Mr Yōhei Sasakawa is the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Leprosy Elimination, and Japan’s Ambassador for the Human Rights of People Affected by leprosy.
» The WHO Director-General decides on the awardees for the World Health Organization Director-General’s Global Health Leaders Awards. The ceremony for the awards was established in 2019.
International Day for Biological Diversity 2022
⇒ International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) is celebrated every year on 22 May to increase understanding and awareness of biodiversity issues.
The theme of the 2022 International Day for Biological Diversity was “Building a shared future for all life”.
Fitting within the context of the ongoing United Nations Decade on Restoration, which highlights that biodiversity is the answer to several sustainable development challenges, the slogan conveys the message that biodiversity is the foundation upon which we can build back better.
- When first created by the Second Committee of the UN General Assembly in late 1993, 29 December (the date of entry into force of the Convention of Biological Diversity), was designated The International Day for Biological Diversity.
- In December 2000, the UN General Assembly adopted 22 May as IDB, to commemorate the adoption of the text of the Convention on 22 May 1992 by the Nairobi Final Act of the Conference for the Adoption of the Agreed Text of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
- Biodiversity Day was celebrated on 29 December till the year 2000.
» On the occasion of International Day for Biological Diversity, Union Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change Shri Bhupender Yadav along with other ministers conferred the India Biodiversity Awards 2021.