Five volumes of ‘Sir Chhotu Ram: Writings and Speeches’
⇒ The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu released five volumes of ‘Sir Chhotu Ram: Writings and Speeches’ brought out by the Haryana Academy of History and Culture in Gurugram on 19 September 2021.
Addressing a gathering, the Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu called for developing an integrated approach towards rural economy to ensure income security for farmers.
⇒ Union Minister Shri Piyush Goyal launched nationwide ‘Vanijya Saptah’ at SEZ NOIDA to commemorate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
Ministry of Commerce & Industry has curated ‘Vanijya Saptah’ around the 5 pillars of Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Freedom Struggle
- Ideas @ 75
- Achievements @ 75
- Actions @ 75
- Resolves @ 75
The Department of Commerce observed the ‘Vanijya Saptah’ (Trade & Commerce Week) during the period 20-26 September, 2021.
- A slew of programmes and events were organized across the country, highlighting Aatmanirbhar Bharat, Showcasing India as a Rising Economic Force and Green & Swachh SEZs.
- In addition, the handholding sessions focused on ‘From Farm to Foreign Lands’ and exporter conclaves, ‘Vanijya Utsav’ covering all 739 districts of the country.
- During the Vanijya Utsav held on 24-26 September, 2021, exporter conclaves/meets held in more than 700 districts, including Mega events in 100 districts, organized by the Directorate General of Foreign Trade along with Export And Market Development Assistance and respective State Governments.
- Another major campaign of the ‘Vanijya Saptah’, 35 Export Promotion events/exhibitions was organized on 21-22 September, 2021 by all the 14 EPCs with at least one event in each State/UT showcasing India as a Rising Economic Force.
G20 Agriculture Ministers’ Meeting
⇒ The G20 Agriculture Ministers’ Meeting was held in Florence on 17-18 September 2021. Currently, Italy holds the Presidency of the G20.
The Union Minister of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Shri Narendra Singh Tomar participated in the G20 Agriculture Ministerial meeting organized by Italy.
First day of session:
Shri Tomar addressed the session on the topic “Research as a driving force behind sustainability”.
- Addressing the meeting, Shri Tomar said that agricultural research has played an important role in tackling the problem of food security, improving the income of farmers and agriculturists and sustainable use of natural resources for the subsistence of the people.
- Research contributes significantly to the three aspects of food security – availability, access and affordability.
Second day of session:
The theme of this session was “Working together to achieve the Zero Hunger goal: successful projects implemented by the Ministries of Agriculture”.
- Union Minister Shri Tomar presented the progress of Indian Agriculture in the meeting of G-20 Agriculture Ministers.
- Union Minister Shri Narendra Singh Tomar said that the Government of India has emphasized on re-introducing traditional food items including millet, other nutritious cereals, fruits and vegetables, fish, dairy and organic products in the diet of the people. Their production has been phenomenal in India in recent years and India is becoming a destination country for healthy food items.
- Shri Tomar said that keeping in mind the importance of Nutri-cereals, the United Nations has accepted the proposal of the Government of India and declared the year 2023 as the International Year of Millets. He appealed to the nations to support the celebration of Millet Year to promote nutrition and sustainable agriculture.
The meeting ended with the approval of a Final Declaration reaffirming the commitment to achieve food security in the framework of the three dimensions of sustainability: economic, social and environmental.
To ensure sustainable and resilient food systems, the G20 Ministers reaffirmed their intention to reach the goal of zero hunger, which is also threatened by the consequences of Covid-19.
Prime Minister of India calls on Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
⇒ The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi met with His Highness Prince Faisal bin Farhan Al Saud, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia on 20 September 2021.
The meeting reviewed progress on various ongoing bilateral initiatives, including those taken under the aegis of the Strategic Partnership Council established between both countries.
Prime Minister expressed India’s keenness to see greater investment from Saudi Arabia, including in key sectors like energy, IT and defence manufacturing.
The meeting also allowed exchange of perspectives on regional developments, including the situation in Afghanistan.
International Coastal Cleanup Day
⇒ The International Coastal Cleanup Day is observed every year on the third Saturday in September. This year, this day was observed on 18 September 2021.
The theme of International Coastal Cleanup Day 2021 was ‘Keep trash in the bin and not in the ocean.’
The International Coastal Cleanup Community encourages people around the world to remove trash and debris from beaches, waterways and other water bodies, to identify the sources of the litter, to change behaviours that cause pollution and to raise awareness on the extent of the marine debris problem.
The International Coastal Cleanup began more than 30 years ago when communities rallied together with the common goal of collecting and documenting the trash littering their coastline.
Noted Odia litterateur and journalist Manorama Mohapatra
⇒ Noted Odia litterateur and journalist Manorama Mohapatra died on 18 September 2021. She was 87.
Manorama was the former editor of the largest Odia daily ‘Samaja’. She had won the Sahitya Academy Award in 1984, Soviet Nehru Award in 1988, Critic Circle of India Award in 1990, Iswar Chandra Vidyasagar Samman in 1991 and Rupambara Award in 1994.