Workshop on “Strengthening of Export Potential of Honey”
⇒ Dr. Abhilaksh Likhi, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare, Department of Agriculture & Farmers Welfare chaired the Workshop on “Strengthening of Export Potential of Honey” at Vaikunth Mehta National Institute of Cooperative Management (VAMNICOM), Pune, Maharashtra.
The Workshop was organised by the National Bee Board (NBB) on 30 August 2022.
» Dr. Likhi launched bee wax products manufactured by FPOs during the workshop. It was also decided to establish a cooperative honey project at VAMNICOM, Pune.
- At present, about 12,699 Beekeepers and 19.34 lakhs honey bees colonies are registered with National Bee Board and India is producing about 1,33,200 Metric tonnes of Honey (2021-22 2nd advance estimate).
- India is one of the major honey exporting countries in the World and has exported 74,413 MT of Honey worth Rs 1221.17 Crores during 2021-22.
- More than 50% of the honey production in India is being exported to other countries. India export honey to about 83 countries.
- The major markets for Indian honey are USA, Saudi Arab, United Arab Emirates, Bangladesh, Canada, etc.
- Mustard honey, eucalyptus honey, lychee honey, sunflower honey, pongamia honey, multi-flora Himalayan honey, acacia honey and wild flora honey are some of the major varieties of honey exported from India.
- Total 102 projects for assistance of Rs 133.31 crores sanctioned under the National Beekeeping and Honey Mission (NBHM) NBHM till date.
All-India Workshop centered on Common Alerting Protocol based Integrated Alert System
⇒ Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) and National Disaster Management Authority, Government of India jointly conducted an All-India Workshop centered on Common Alerting Protocol based Integrated Alert System on 31 August 2022.
Centre for Development of Telematics (C-DOT) is the premier R&D centre of the Department of Telecommunications, Ministry of Communications, Government of India.
The workshop provided a platform to all the stake holders including Alert Generating Agencies, Alert Authorising Agencies and Alert Disseminating Agencies across India.
The workshop aimed to discuss their underlying concerns and challenges and evolve the technology-based solutions to address these in an effective manner amid insightful discussions by a galaxy of experts and technologists.
Various eminent dignitaries and speakers from various Government departments including NDMA, DoT, Indian Railways, Indian Metrological Department, Central Water Commission, Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services, Defence Geoinformatics Research Establishment, Forest Survey of India, Indian Space Research Organisation and State Disaster Management Authorities of 36 States and Union Territories attended the workshop and deliberated on various contemporary issues related to Disaster Management and Preparedness.
About NDMA’s Integrated Public Alert System (सचेत):
NDMA’s Integrated Public Alert System has been developed by C-DOT and provides a converged platform for dissemination of targeted alerts and advisories to people living in disaster-prone areas in vernacular languages over all available communication media including SMS, Cell Broadcast, Radio, TV, Siren, Social Media, Web Portals and Mobile Applications.
- This one-stop solution is a concrete step towards realizing Hon’ble Prime Minister’s 10-point Agenda for Disaster Risk Reduction.
The system is already operational in 34 States and UTs. More than 75 Crores SMSes have already been sent by the system for various disasters like Cyclones (Asani,Yass, Nivar, Amphan), Floods (Assam, Gujarat), Lightning (Bihar), etc.
The system has also been used to facilitate the pilgrims during Amarnath Ji Yatra.
AREAS's 8th Foundation Day
⇒ Association of Renewable Energy Agencies of States (AREAS)’s 8th Foundation Day celebration held on 27 August 2022 in Kochi.
- Shri Bhagwanth Khuba, Minister of State for New and Renewable Energy inaugurated the function.
On the occasion of AREAS’s 8th Foundation Day celebration, the awards were presented. Shri Bhagwanth Khuba, Minister of State for New and Renewable Energy and Chemicals and Fertilisers, presented the award to Shri Pradip Kumar Das, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), IREDA.
» Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd (IREDA) received an award from the Association of Renewable Energy Agencies of States for best performance in the Renewable Energy Sector during 2021-22.
» IREDA has been selected for the prestigious award for achieving the highest amount of loan sanctioned and disbursed for Renewable Energy projects during 2021-22 amongst Non-Banking Financial Companies (NBFCs).
- IREDA has achieved the highest-ever loan sanction of Rs 23,921.06 crore in FY 2021-22 and the highest-ever loan disbursement of Rs 16,070.82 crore in FY 2021-22.
- The Association of Renewable Energy Agencies (AREAS) came into existence in 2014 on the initiative of the Ministry of New & Renewable Energy.
- All State Nodal Agencies for Renewable Energy are members of AREAS.
Cabinet approves signing of an MoU between India and Nepal in the field of biodiversity conservation
⇒ The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the proposal of the Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change for signing an MoU with the Government of Nepal on biodiversity conservation in August 2022.
- The MoU was signed with a view to strengthen and enhance the coordination and cooperation in the field of forests, wildlife, environment, biodiversity conservation etc.
- The MoU would help in promoting cooperation between the Parties in the field of forests, wildlife, environment, biodiversity conservation and climate change, including restoration of corridors and interlinking areas and sharing knowledge and best practices, between the two countries.
2022 Belgain Grand Prix Formula 1 Race
⇒ The 2022 Belgain Grand Prix Formula 1 Race took place on 28 August 2022 over 44 laps of the 7.004-kilometre Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps.
Red Bull Racing RBPT Driver, Max Verstappen won 2022 Belgian Grand Prix (FORMULA 1 ROLEX BELGIAN GRAND PRIX 2022).
2022 US Open Grand Slam Tennis Tournament
⇒ The 2022 US Open Grand Slam tennis tournament was held in New York, from August 29 to September 11, 2022. It was held on outdoor hard courts at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in New York City. Read More
LIFE Mission, Kulguru Swami Rajarshi Muni
⇒ Founder of the Lakulish International Fellowship’s Enlightenment Mission (LIFE Mission) Kulguru Swami Rajarshi Muni passed away at the Krupalu Ashram in Malav on 30 August 2022. He was 93.
- He was also the founder of the Lakulish Yoga University based in Ahmedabad.
- He dedicated his life to popularising and developing yoga. Swamiji established ashrams in Gujarat, Haridwar and USA.
- He also authored several books in English, Gujarati, Hindi and Marathi languages.
- He was also awarded the Prime Minister’s Yoga Award in 2019 for outstanding contribution for promotion and development of yoga.