First Six - lane Highway Road made of Steel Slag
⇒ Union Minister of Steel Shri Ram Chandra Prasad Singh inaugurated the first six lane highway road made by using Steel Slag at Surat, Gujrat to connect the port with the city on 15 June 2022.
While inaugurating the road, the Minister impressed upon the need to promote circular economy and resource efficiency by converting all waste into wealth.
- Minister Shri Singh said the road constructed by 100% use of steel processed slag is a real example of converting waste into wealth and improving sustainability of steel plants.
- The Minister further said that the use of such material in road construction shall not only Increase durability but also help in reducing the cost of construction as slag-based materials are having better properties than natural aggregates.
- The use of steel slag in road construction shall address the shortage of natural aggregates in the country as the production of steel slag in the country from different process routes is likely to increase from present by 2030.
'Non-electric cooling cabinet made of clay'- ‘Mitticool Refrigerator’
⇒ Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS), the National Standards Body of India, has developed an Indian Standard, IS 17693: 2022 for ‘non-electric cooling cabinet made of clay’.
- Named as ‘Mitticool refrigerator’, Shri Mansukh Bhai Prajapati from Gujarat is the innovator behind the refrigerator which projects an eco-friendly technology.
- BIS standard specifies the construction and performance requirements of a cooling cabinet made out of clay, which operates on the principle of evaporative cooling. These cabinets may be used to store perishable foodstuff without the need of electricity.
- This standard helps BIS in fulfilling 6 out of 17 United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) like No poverty, Zero hunger, Gender equality, Affordable and clean energy, Industry, innovation, and infrastructure, and Responsible consumption and production.
About ‘Mitticool Refrigerator’:
- ‘Mitticool Refrigerator’ was exhibited at the 4th batch of Innovations Scholars In-residence Programme held at Rashtrapati Bhawan (2017) in partnership with the National Innovation Foundation (NIF).
- It is a natural refrigerator made primarily from clay to store vegetables, fruits, milk, and also for cooling water.
- It provides natural coolness to foodstuffs stored in it without requiring any electricity.
- Fruits, vegetables, and milk can be stored reasonably fresh without deteriorating their quality.
» Refrigeration is a food storage technique that prevents bacterial growth whereby increasing its shelf life and making it fit for consumption.
‘Industrial Decarbonization Summit 2022’ (IDS-2022)
⇒ Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Shri Nitin Gadkari inaugurated the Industrial Decarbonization Summit 2022- Road Map for Carbon Neutrality by 2070.
- The Industrial Decarbonization Summit 2022 was organized on June 16th, 2022 at Hotel Le’ Meridien, New Delhi.
The Summit focused on variety of research topics related to decarbonization, Climate Change including their management, Policy issues and Sustainability etc.
- Addressing the Summit, Shri Nitin Gadkari emphasized on maintaining equilibrium between ecology, environment and development. He said to overcome power shortage, it is essential to develop alternative fuels. He said eccentric one sided approach in these issues is not beneficial for the country.
- Shri Gadkari said in the coming days, we have to strengthen our economy and at the same time save the environment.
- He said our priority is green hydrogen, by using Biotechnology we can increase the productivity of Biomass and by using Biomass we can make Bio-ethanol, Bio-LNG and Bio-CNG.
- He said pollution will decrease by usage of methanol and ethanol.
- The Minister also said that a focused road map should be created and adequate research must be done so that we reduce our imports and increase exports.
Indo-Bangladesh bilateral Joint Military Exercise “Ex SAMPRITI-X"
⇒ Indo-Bangladesh bilateral Joint Military Exercise “Ex SAMPRITI-X” concluded at Jashore Military Station, Bangladesh on 16 June 2022.
» As part of the ongoing India Bangladesh bilateral defence cooperation, 10th edition of a joint military training exercise Ex SAMPRITI was conducted at Jashore Military Station in Bangladesh from 05 June to 16 June 2022.
- The Indian contingent of company strength was represented by a Battalion of the DOGRA Regiment.
- During the joint military exercise Ex SAMPRITI-X, armies of both the Nations shared expertise in multiple simulated scenarios of Counter Terrorism, Humanitarian Assistance & Disaster Relief and UN Peacekeeping Force under United Nations mandate.
- The exercise also provided an opportunity to the contingents from both the Armies to understand each other’s tactical drills and operational techniques.
- The aim of the exercise was to strengthen the military relations between the two countries.
- Besides training, both contingents also participated in a number of activities including friendly football and cricket matches.
- The joint exercise, besides promoting understanding and interoperability between the two armies, further helped in strengthening ties between India and Bangladesh.
39th Establishment Day of ISEPC
⇒ The Indian Silk Export Promotion Council observed its Establishment Day on 16 June. This year ISEPC celebrated its 39th establishment day.
- The Indian Silk Export Promotion Council (ISEPC) was established in 1983 as an Apex Body of exporters, manufacturers, merchandisers, not for profit, under Companies Act duly sponsored by the Ministry of Textiles, Government of India.
- Government of India has recently declared Silk and other allied silk product industry under Priority Sector.
- ISEPC works closely with the Government of India on policy formulation concerning the silk sector and provides specialized services to the trade, commerce and industry, enlarging global business opportunities for the silk industry in India.