- Under the Preparatory activities for roll-out of COVID-19 vaccine being carried by Central Government in collaboration with States/UTs, Shri Rajesh Bhushan, Secretary, Ministry of Health and Family Welfare said a new digital platform for COVID 19 Vaccination Delivery called “CO-WIN” is being used for this purpose.
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the Provision of Submarine Optical Fibre Cable Connectivity between Mainland (Kochi) and Lakshadweep Islands (KLI Project).
The Project envisages provision of a direct communication link through a dedicated submarine Optical Fibre Cable (OFC) between Kochi and 11 Islands of Lakshadweep.
Army Chief visit to UAE and Saudi Arabia:
- General MM Naravane, the Chief of Army Staff (COAS) has on a visit to the United Arab Emirates (UAE) and the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from 09 December to 14 December, 2020. This is the first time an Indian Army Chief is visiting the UAE and Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
He is visiting the United Arab Emirates from 09 December to 10 December, 2020. During this visit, he discussed avenues for enhancing India & UAE defence relations.
He will visit the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia from 13 December to 14 December, 2020. The Army Chief will hold multiple meetings with senior military functionaries of security establishment and exchange views on various issues related to defense cooperation between Saudi Arabia and India. General Naravane will also visit Headquarters of Royal Saudi Land Force, the Joint Force Command Headquarters and King Abdul Aziz Military Academy.
- Dr. Samir Damare, Principal Scientist and Head Analytical Services Division, at CSIR-NIO, Goa has been selected for the Senior Scientist Award for the year 2020, by the Microbiologists Society, India.
Dr Damare has received this award in recognition of his research in the field of Microbiology, Extremophiles, Biotechnology & Molecular Biology.
- Sheikh Sabah Al-Khaled Al-Hamad Al-Sabah has been re-appointment as the Prime Minister of the State of Kuwait, after the successful National Assembly elections on December 5, 2020.
- China on December 6, 2020 successfully launched a new Earth observation satellite. This satellite can take high-resolution pictures of ground objects across the globe.
It was launched from the Xichang Satellite Launch Centre in southwest China’s Sichuan province. Geofen-14, an optical stereo mapping satellite was sent into orbit by a Long March-3B carrier rocket.
- Indian Army celebrated the 260th Corps Day of the Army Service Corps on December 08, 2020.
To commemorate this occasion, a 260 kilometer Ultra Run was organised from War Memorial, Chandimandir to National War Memorial, Delhi. The Ultra Run was on theme of “Run for Martyrs”. It was organised from 04 December to 08 December, 2020.
- Hall of Fame tennis player, Dennis Ralston died of cancer in Austin, Texas on December 6, 2020. He was 78.