- DRDO conducted the successful maiden launch of Akash-NG (New Generation) Missile from Integrated Test Range off the coast of Odisha on 25 January 2021.
Akash-NG is a new generation Surface to Air Missile meant for use by Indian Air Force with an aim of intercepting high maneuvering low RCS aerial threats.
‘Ex Desert Knight 2021’:
- The Indian Air Force and French Air and Space Force participated in Ex Desert Knight 2021.
A first of its kind bilateral exercise (Ex DK-21) was held at Air Force Station Jodhpur, which was concluded on 23rd January 2021. Both Air Forces exercised in realistic settings with an aim to enhance operational capabilities and interoperability.
Ayushman CAPF’ Scheme:
- The Union Home Minister Shri Amit Shah on 23rd January 2021 launched the ‘Ayushman CAPF’ scheme for personnel and dependents of the Central Armed Police Forces during a function in Guwahati, Assam.
Now all CAPF personnel and their families will receive free treatment with a simple card swipe in 24,000 hospitals. Shri Amit Shah said the scheme will be fully implemented by 1st May.
Anna Gallantry Award:
- J Suresh, a loco pilot belonging to Madurai Division of Southern Railway, received the ‘Anna Gallantry Award’ from Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu Edappadi K Palaniswami in Chennai during the Republic Day function i.e. 26 January 2021.
He saved the lives of passengers by quick response to prevent the train accident.
President’s Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG):
- Mohan Lal, assistant sub-inspector in the Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), has been posthumously awarded the President’s Police Medal for Gallantry (PPMG) on January 25, 2021.
He had lost his life during the Pulwama terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir in February 2019.
Waste Water Treatment Technology Model:
- CSIR-Central Mechanical Engineering Research Institute, Durgapur unveiled the first-ever Waste Water Treatment Technology Model. It purifies Waste Water for Irrigation/Farming purposes.
Prof. (Dr.) Harish Hirani, Director, CSIR-CMERI inaugurated the ‘Aqua Rejuv’ on 23 January 2021 at CSIR-CMERI colony in Durgapur (West Bengal).
“Aqua Rejuvenation Plant” (ARP) is an Integrated Waste Water Rejuvenation Model which has Six – Stage purification profile for comprehensive treatment of Waste Water, based upon diverse purification parameters.
Two New Species of a Rare Ant Genus:
- Two new species of a rare ant genus have been discovered in India. The species of the ant genus Ooceraea found in Kerala, and Tamil Nadu add to the diversity of this rare genus.
One of them found in the Periyar Tiger Reserve of Kerala, has been named Ooceraea joshii, in honour of Prof Amitabh Joshi, a distinguished evolutionary biologist from ‘Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research’, India.