Resource Book on Springshed Management in the Indian Himalayan Region
⇒ The Resource Book on Springshed Management in the Indian Himalayan Region was released by Dr. Rajiv Kumar Vice Chairman, NITI Aayog.
The Resource Book was developed by NITI Aayog, in association with the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC) and International Water Management Institute (IWMI).
About resource book:
» This resource book offers practical guidance on revival and conservation of mountain springs.
» This Resource Book is a summarised guiding document on best practices in springshed management developed by NITI Aayog in collaboration with IWMI and SDC under the “Strengthening Climate Change Adaptation in Himalayas (SCA-Himalayas)” project.
Highlighted recommendations from best practices are:
- A National Springs Mission (NSM) will facilitate the improved coordination, efficient execution, and scaling up of springshed management initiatives in India.
- Creating a national digital database on spring-related data collected by various agencies will improve ease of access and academic research.
- Creating new and support for existing, state and national-level science-policy-practice consortiums will facilitate experience sharing, complementary knowledge generation, transfer, and capacity building of all stakeholders.
Member (Law), JERC for Goa and UTs
⇒ Ms. Jyoti Prasad has been appointed as Member (Law), JERC for Goa and UTs.
Union Minister for Power and MNRE, Shri RK Singh administered the Oath of Office and Secrecy to Ms. Jyoti Prasad as Member (Law) of JERC for Goa & UTs on 06 December 2021.
» The Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission (JERC) for all Union Territories except Delhi had been established by the Government of India under the provisions of the Electricity Act, 2003. Subsequently, the State of Goa also joined the Joint Commission.
- The Commission consists of a Chairperson and another Member.
» The Major functions of JERC for Goa & UTs under the Act are:
- To determine tariff for generation, supply, transmission and wheeling of electricity, regulate electricity purchase and procurement process of distribution licensee, facilitate intra-State transmission and wheeling of electricity, etc. within the State of Goa and 6 Union Territories.
» Under the Act, the Joint Commission shall also advise the State Government/ UT Administration on formulation of National Electricity Policy and Tariff Policy; promotion of competition, efficiency and economy in activities of electricity industry; promotion of investment in electricity industry.
Swachh Technology Challenge
⇒ Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0 (SBM-U 2.0), under the aegis of the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs (MoHUA), launched the Swachh Technology Challenge on 06 December 2021.
- Swachh Technology Challenge launched to Create an Innovations’ Ecosystem in Waste Management.
The aim of the challenge was to harness the entrepreneurial potential of the waste management sector in India and promote an enabling environment for enterprise development under Swachh Bharat Mission-Urban 2.0.
- Swachh Technology Challenge was held from 6 December 2021 to 15 January 2022.
Swachh Technology Challenge was based on solutions in four thematic categories:
- Social inclusion
- Zero dump (solid waste management)
- Plastic waste management
- Transparency through digital enablement
Board of Advisers for International IDEA
⇒ Shri Sunil Arora, former Chief Election Commissioner of India has been invited to join the Board of Advisers for International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (IDEA).
- The Institute is assisted by a 15-member Board of Advisers who are eminent personalities or experts from a wide variety of backgrounds.
» Shri Sunil Arora possesses rich leadership experience, knowledge and skills to contribute significantly to the working of the International Institute. Shri Sunil Arora had been the 23rd Chief Election Commissioner of India from 2nd December 2018 to 12th April, 2021.
About International IDEA:
- The International Institute for Democracy and Electoral Assistance (International IDEA), established in 1995, is an intergovernmental organization based in Stockholm, Sweden with a mission to support sustainable democracy worldwide.
- International IDEA currently has 34 member countries which include large and small, older and newer democracies from all continents.
- India has been one of the founding members of IDEA.
India, ADB sign $125 million loan
⇒ The Government of India and the Asian Development Bank (ADB) signed a $125 million loan to improve access to safe and affordable drinking water supply and citywide inclusive sanitation services in Dehradun and Nainital cities in the state of Uttarakhand on 07 December 2021.
The Uttarakhand Integrated and Resilient Urban Development Project addresses the need for upgrading urban services in the fast-expanding capital city of Dehradun and Nainital which attracts thousands of tourists daily.
Best FIFA Football Awards 2021
⇒ The winners of the Best FIFA Football Awards 2021 have been revealed at an online ceremony on 17 January 2022 in Zurich, Switzerland.
The Best FIFA Football Awards was held for the sixth time. It annually honour the most outstanding members of the world’s most popular sport.
Lewandowski won the Best FIFA Men’s Player award for the second year in a row, after receiving the first in 2020.
Padma Shri awardee, Shri Nanda Kishore Prusty
⇒ Noted Educationist and Padma Shri awardee Shri Nanda Kishore Prusty passed away on December 7, 2021.
Nanda Prusty, popularly known as Nanda Sir, was an exceptional educationist. Shri Nanda Prusty, a Class VII pass-out resident of Kantira village in Odisha’s Jajpur district, had been providing free education to children and village elders in Odisha for the past seven decades.
He was honoured with the Padma Shri award in the year 2021 for his long contribution in the field of education and social service.