Award instituted in memory of the Vice President’s teacher, Shri Poluri Hanumajjanakirama Sarma
⇒ The Vice President, Shri M. Venkaiah Naidu presented an award instituted in memory of the Vice President’s teacher, Shri Poluri Hanumajjanakirama Sarma to Shri Kovela Suprasannacharya in Hyderabad for his contributions in the field of Poetry and Literature.
The award, instituted at the personal initiative of the Vice President by the Telangana Saraswatha Parishath, seeks to recognize contributions to the Telugu language.
On the occasion, the Vice President also released two books titled – ‘Amritotsava Bharathi’ and ‘Sri Devulapalli Ramanujarao’.
PM GatiShakti - National Master Plan for multi-modal connectivity
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi launched PM GatiShakti – National Master Plan for multi-modal connectivity on 13 October 2021 at Pragati Maidan, New Delhi. He also inaugurated the New Exhibition Complex at Pragati Maidan.
About PM GatiShakti:
PM GatiShakti will address the past issues through institutionalizing holistic planning for stakeholders for major infrastructure projects.
- It will incorporate the infrastructure schemes of various Ministries and State Governments like Bharatmala, Sagarmala, inland waterways, dry/land ports, UDAN etc.
- Economic Zones like textile clusters, pharmaceutical clusters, defence corridors, electronic parks, industrial corridors, fishing clusters, agri zones will be covered to improve connectivity & make Indian businesses more competitive.
- It will also leverage technology extensively including spatial planning tools with ISRO imagery developed by BiSAG-N (Bhaskaracharya National Institute for Space Applications and Geoinformatics).
PM GatiShakti is based on six pillars:
- PM GatiShakti will provide the public and business community information regarding the upcoming connectivity projects, other business hubs, industrial areas and surrounding environment.
- This will enable the investors to plan their businesses at suitable locations leading to enhanced synergies.
- It will create multiple employment opportunities and give a boost to the economy.
- It will improve the global competitiveness of local products by cutting down the logistics costs and improving the supply chains, and also ensure proper linkages for local industry & consumers.
Continuation of Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) till 2025-26
⇒ The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the continuation of the Swachh Bharat Mission (Urban) till 2025-26.
SBM-U 2.0 approved with focus on sustainability of Open Defecation Free outcomes, achieving scientific processing of Solid Waste in all cities, and managing Wastewater in cities with less than 1 lakh population in Census 2011. [cities not covered under Atal Mission for Rejuvenation and Urban Transformation (AMRUT)].
Financial Outlay under SBM-Urban 2.0:
A financial outlay of Rs 1,41,600 crores has been finalized for SBM-U 2.0. It includes central share of Rs 36,465 for the period 2021-22 to 2025-26 which is over 2.5 times the financial outlay of Rs 62,009 crores in the last phase of the Mission.
G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan
⇒ Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi participated virtually in the G20 Extraordinary Summit on Afghanistan on 12 October 2021.
The Meeting was convened by Italy, which currently holds the G20 Presidency, and chaired by Italian Prime Minister Mr. Mario Draghi.
The issues discussed in this meeting were related to the current humanitarian situation in Afghanistan, terrorism related concerns and the condition of human rights there.
PM’s remarks during the Summit:
In order to preserve the socio-economic gains of the last 20 years and to restrict the spread of radical ideology, the Prime Minister called for an inclusive administration in Afghanistan, which includes women and minorities.
He conveyed support for the important role of the United Nations in Afghanistan and called for renewed support of the G20 for the message contained in UN Security Council Resolution 2593 on Afghanistan.
Ministerial Roundtable Session of the 50th anniversary edition of ITU Digital World 2021
⇒ Shri Devusinh Chaunhan, Minister of State for Communications participated in the Ministerial Roundtable Session of the 50th anniversary edition of International Telecommunications Union (ITU) Digital World 2021 on 12 October 2021.
- It was hosted by the Government of Vietnam.
The Prime Minister of Vietnam and Ministers of Azerbaijan, Cambodia, Costa Rica, Lao P.D.R., Myanmar and Vietnam also participated.
The topic for the deliberation was “Cutting the cost: can affordable access accelerate digital transformation?”.
» Shri Devusinh Chauhan said that India is committed to assist the world in providing the most cost-effective ICT services for accelerating digital transformation by sharing its best practices and knowledge with other nations.
World Habitat Day 2021
⇒ The United Nations designated the first Monday of October of every year as World Habitat Day to reflect on the state of our habitats, and on the basic right of all to adequate shelter.
- World Habitat Day for the year 2021 was observed on 4 October.
The theme of World Habitat Day 2021 is ‘accelerating urban action for a carbon free world’.
The World Habitat Day is intended to remind the world that we all have the power and the responsibility to shape the future of our cities and towns.
In 1985 the United Nations designated the first Monday of October every year as World Habitat Day. World Habitat Day was first celebrated in 1986.