22nd Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence
⇒ The Vice President Shri M Venkaiah Naidu presented the 22nd Lal Bahadur Shastri National Award for Excellence to eminent pulmonologist and Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS), Dr. Randeep Guleria at Upa-Rashtrapati Nivas on 11 October 2021.
Presenting the award, the Vice President said, Dr. Randeep Guleria’s stellar role in creating awareness about the pandemic in recent times has not only been reassuring for all of us but has also soothed the frayed nerves of every person who has met, seen, or heard him speak on multiple forums on various aspects related to COVID 19.
We see in him the commander-in-chief of India’s dedicated army of frontline warriors who have been selflessly waging a tireless battle against Covid-19.
National conference for zoo directors and veterinarians
⇒ The two-day National conference for zoo directors and veterinarians organized by Central Zoo Authority and hosted by Sardar Patel Zoological Park, Kevadia, Gujarat concluded 11 October 2021.
The primary aim of this national conference was to discuss and deliberate on the new frontiers in zoo management and ex-situ conservation in the country.
- As on today there are more than 150 recognized zoos and rescue centers in the country.
Three important publications of the Central Zoo Authority were released during the National Conference:
- Vision Plan (2021-2031) for Indian zoos to upgrade them to global standards and strengthening of Central Zoo Authority.
- WASH Manual for Zoos- Access to water and sanitation in public spaces is an essential element of sustainable WASH management. CZA in collaboration with UNICEF has now developed a Guideline to provide guidance to zoos for creating and maintaining WASH facilities within their premises for staff and visitors.
- AzadiKaAmritMahotsav – A Compilation (Vol 1)- CZA in support with the zoos across the country tool upon the themselves to follow the clarion call given by Shri Narendra Modi on 12th of march 2021 to celebrate the AzadiKaAmritMahotsav. The theme for the celebration has been to showcase 75 species across 75 zoos though massive outreach programs in the 75 weeks.
The dignitaries also gave away the CZA constituted Prani Mitra Awards that are given every year under 4 categories of – outstanding contribution by zoo director/ curator, biologist/ educationists, veterinarian and the animal keeper/ zoo frontline.
The Prani Mitra Award winners for the year 2021 are:
- Outstanding Animal Keeper – Shrimati Lakhidevi, Bhagwan Birsa zoological Park, Ranchi Jharkhand.
- Outstanding Educationist/ Biologist – Shri Harpal Singh, Educationist Mahendra Chaudhary Zoological Park Chatbir Punjab.
- Outstanding Veterinarian – Dr Illiyaraja Agra Bear Rescue Facility, Uttar Pradesh
- Outstanding Director – Dr Vibhu Prakash Mathur, Director Vulture Conservation Breeding Centre, Pinjore Haryana.
2021 ISSF Junior World Championship Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun
⇒ The 2021 International Shooting Sport Federation (ISSF) Junior World Championship Rifle/Pistol/Shotgun was held in Lima, Peru from September 27 to October 10, 2021.
- In the medal standings, India’s athletes confidently finished first, winning 40 medals. These included 17 Gold, 16 Silver and 10 Bronze medals.
- Manu Bhaker created a record of becoming the first Indian shooter to win the highest number of medals with five medals in a single edition of the ISSF Junior World Championships. These include 4 gold medals and one bronze.
- The second place was taken by athletes from the USA – a total of 21 medals, 7 of them Gold.
- The third is the Italian team with 10 medals, 3 of them are Gold.
- In total, athletes from 16 countries won awards.
International Day of the Girl Child 2021
⇒ International Day of the Girl Child is observed annually on October 11.
The theme for International Day of Girl Child 2021 is ‘Digital generation’. Our generation’.
The International Day of the Girl Child focuses attention on the need to address the challenges girls face and to promote girls’ empowerment and the fulfilment of their human rights.
On December 19, 2011, United Nations General Assembly adopted Resolution 66/170 to declare October 11 as the International Day of the Girl Child, to recognize girls’ rights and the unique challenges girls face around the world.
Webinar on the occasion of International Day of the Girl Child:
National e-Governance Division (NeGD) and UN Women India jointly organized a webinar on “Cyber Safety for Women and Girls” on the occasion of International Day of the Girl Child Coinciding with the National Cyber Security Awareness Month celebrations.
Worldwide, the month of October is dedicated to Cyber Security and is observed as the “National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM)”.
The theme for NCSAM 2021 was “Do Your Part. #BeCyberSmart”.
- The theme envisages that individuals and organisations own their role in protecting their part of activities in cyberspace.
28th Foundation Day of NHRC
⇒ The 28th Foundation Day of the National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) was celebrated on 12th October, 2021.
- NHRC was set up under the Protection of Human Rights Act 1993 on 12th October, 1993 for the promotion and protection of human rights.
- The Commission takes cognizance of any form of human rights violations, conducts enquiries and in cases of violation of human rights, recommends to the public authorities for payment of compensation to the victims, other remedial and legal measures against the erring public servants.
IFFCO's Chairman Balvinder Singh Nakai
⇒ Fertiliser major IFFCO’s Chairman Balvinder Singh Nakai passed away on 11 October 2021. He was 87.
Nakai was an eminent farmer – cooperator, and was deeply involved in providing strength to Indian cooperative movement for the last three decades.