Commemorative Postage Stamp on 100 Years of First Visit of Mahatma Gandhi to Odisha
- Shri Sanjay Dhotre, Minister of State for Education, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology digitally released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on 100 Years of First Visit of Mahatma Gandhi to Odisha.
The First Day Cover of the Commemorative Postage Stamp portrays the Swaraj Ashram at Cuttack, where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during his first visit to Odisha on 23rd March, 1921.
Mahatma Gandhi visited Odisha for the first time on 23 March 1921. The visit energized the non-cooperation movement in the country and strengthened the cause of freedom struggle.
Skoch Best DGP Award
- Director General of Police of Andhra Pradesh, Damodar Gautam Sawang was presented with the Skoch Best DGP award, on 20 March 2021. He received the Best State Award from FICCI, National Crime Records Bureau and Skoch for implementing smart innovative policing in the State.
Memorandum of Understanding between UPSC, India and IARCSC, Afghanistan
- The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), India and Independent Administrative Reforms and Civil Services Commission (IARCSC), Afghanistan.
It will strengthen the relationship between IARCSC and UPSC. The MoU will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the parties in the area of recruitment.
Some Salient Features of the MoU:
- Exchange of experience on modern approach to public service recruitment and selection
- Exchange of information and expertise including books, manuals and other documents which are not of a confidential nature
- Sharing of expertise in the use of Information Technology (IT) in the preparation of written examinations, Etc
Afghan Peace Meet:
- Russia hosted a peace conference for Afghanistan on 18 March 2021. The conference was organised to bring together government representatives and their Taliban adversaries along with international observers, in order to help jump-start the country’s stalled peace process.
The gathering was held for one-day. This peace conference has been the first of three planned international conferences ahead of a May 1, 2021 deadline for the final withdrawal of US and NATO troops from the Afghanistan.
This date was fixed under a year-old agreement between the U.S. and the Taliban.
Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2021
- Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2021 Race was takes place over 57 laps of the 5.412-kilometre, Bahrain International Circuit in Sakhir, on 28 March 2021.
Mercedes Driver Lewis Hamilton won Bahrain Grand Prix season opener. This was the Lewis Hamilton’s eighth world title.
'World Storytelling Day-2021'
- ‘World Storytelling Day’, which started in Sweden in 2003. It is a global celebration of the art of oral storytelling. It is celebrated every year on the March equinox. This year it was celebrated on March 20, 2021. The theme of the ‘World Storytelling Day-2021’ was ‘New Beginnings’.
- Shaheed Diwas or Martyrs’ Day is celebrated on March 23rd every year. This day is to commemorate the sacrifice of Indian freedom fighters Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar, and Shivaram Rajguru for the nation.
Programme at University of Delhi:
The University of Delhi organized a programme to pay homage, and commemorate 90 years of martyrdom of Shaheed Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev Thapar and Shivaram Rajguru on ‘Shaheed Diwas’ on 23rd March, 2021.
On this occasion, the Union Minister of Education, Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurated the Shaheed Bhagat Singh Memorial. He also announced, the existing collection of books on freedom fighters in the Bhagat Singh Smarak will be converted into ‘Shaheed Smriti Pustakalaya’.
Shaheed Diwas on 30 January:
Also, Shaheed Diwas is also celebrated every year on 30 January in memory of Mahatma Gandhi. On January 30, 1948, Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated by Nathuram Godse.
- Former SEBI chief, G V Ramakrishna died in Chennai on 20 March 2021. He was 91.
Ramakrishna, as an IAS officer, had five decades of government service, working as a diplomat and policy expert.