Indian Naval Air Squadron (INAS) 325 Commissioning
⇒ Indian Naval Air Squadron (INAS) 325, operating the indigenously built ALH MK III aircraft, was commissioned into the Indian Navy in a ceremony held at INS Utkrosh, Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Command (ANC) on 31 May 2022.
The newly inducted aircraft flew for the first time over the Andaman Islands earlier this year and were officially inducted on 28 January 2022. The unit is the second ALH MK III Squadron commissioned into the Indian Navy.
- The state-of-the-art multi role helicopter has been developed and manufactured by Hindustan Aeronautical Limited (HAL), Bangalore.
- The Squadron derives its name from the nocturnal bird of prey, the ‘Eagle Owl’. The keen sense of observation and tracking of the eagle exemplifies the Sensors and advanced avionics of the helicopter akin the nocturnal prowess of the owl, personify the night vision capabilities of the aircraft.
- These helicopters come with the latest-generation avionics and role equipment. They are primarily meant for use in long range SAR and Maritime recce role. They can also be used for Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief in the Islands.
- The helicopter has a surveillance radar, EO/FLIR, homer, high-intensity searchlight and a removable Medical Intensive Care Unit for the Air Ambulance role.
National Yoga Olympiad - 2022
⇒ The Union Education and Skill Development and Entrepreneurship Minister Shri Dharmendra Pradhan inaugurated the National Yoga Olympiad – 2022 and quiz competition in New Delhi on 18 June 2022.
The National Yoga Olympiad was organized jointly by the Ministry of Education and the National Council of Educational Research and Training from 18 June to 20 June, 2022.
- This year about 600 students from 26 states and UTs and Demonstration Multipurpose Schools of Regional Institutions of Education participated in the National Yoga Olympiad.
NCERT National Yoga Olympiad 2022 theme was “Yoga for Humanity”. It is an acknowledged fact that yogic asanas are beneficial to all in maintaining quality health and holistic personality.
- The NCERT started the National Yoga Olympiad in 2016.
- Even during the Covid-19 pandemic, when the whole world came to a standstill, the spirit of yoga was kept alive by organizing a Quiz competition. In that event, students of KVs, NVs and students from Demonstration Multipurpose Schools of Regional Institutions of Education participated in a large number.
1st Regional Toys Fair in Varanasi
⇒ The first Regional Toys Fair was organized in Varanasi at Deendayal Hastkala Sankul Trade Facilitation Centre & Museum from 27th to 30th May, 2022.
The Regional Toys Fair was organized by the office of Development Commissioner Handicrafts, Ministry of Textiles in association with Export Promotion Council for Handicrafts (EPCH).
The Nirmal toys from Telangana, Channapatna and Kinhal Toys from Karnataka, wooden toys from Varanasi and Chirakoot, Kathputli craft from Rajasthan, Asharikandi toys from Assam, dolls from Manipur were some of the major attractions for buyers.
- The toys play and important role in the cognitive development of children and toy-based pedagogy can be used by parents to make their children learn.
- Toys help in understanding the cultural heritage of our country, and at the same time, strengthen the psychomotor and emotional development of their personality.
- Indian Toys Industry is estimated to be $1.5 bn making up 0.5% of global market share.
- The toy manufacturers in India are mostly located in NCR, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu and clusters across central Indian states.
- The sector is fragmented with 90% of the market being unorganized and 4,000 toy industry units from the MSME sector.
- The Govt of India and the entrepreneurs are working closely in the direction to increase India’s export share in global toy business that is worth over US$ 7 trillion.
- EPCH is a nodal organisation responsible for promotion of exports of handcrafted products from India to various global destinations and project India’s image abroad as a reliable supplier at competitive prices.
2022 International Booker Prize
12th International Jumping Meeting
⇒ India’s premier long jumper Murali Sreeshankar won the gold medal at the 12th International Jumping Meeting in Kallithea, Greece on 25 May 2022 with an effort of 8.31m.
- The Tokyo Olympian is the current national record holder with a jump of 8.36m, which he had achieved last month.
Sreeshankar was followed by Swede Thobias Montler, who claimed silver with an 8.27m jump, and Jules Pommery of France, who bagged bronze with an 8.17m effort in the 10-man field.
World Digestive Health Day 2022
⇒ World Digestive Health Day is observed every year on 29 May.
Every year, this day focuses on a specific digestive disease or disorder to raise general public awareness about its prevention, prevalence, diagnosis, management, and treatment.
The theme for World Digestive Health Day 2022 was ‘Colorectal Cancer Prevention: Getting Back on Track.’
- The day came into existence in 2004, on the 45th Anniversary of the creation of the World Gastroenterology Organisation (WGO) on May 29th, 1958.
- The World Gastroenterology Organisation is a federation of over 100 Member Societies and four Regional Associations of gastroenterology representing over 50,000 individual members worldwide.